Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2020, 12:03 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Planets edge artefact

Been talking to a few people and reading about this here: https://skyinspector.co.uk/mars-edge-artefact/

Especially obvious on Mars it really bugs me. I was told to do integration over 1h then use WinJUPOS to derotate and combine to minimise the arc. Further reading points to the size of the airy disc, so larger aperture are not affected as much. Also good seeing will exacerbate the issue.

I'm after a more one on one approach to process this out on a shot basis.

So what do you guys do? Interested to hear about it.
I've attached two quick stacks to show the limb arc I'm talking about with different sharpening methods.

Do you try to process it out on the sharpened version or before sharpening?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2020-11-09-1028-RGB-Mars.jpg)
50.8 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (2020-11-09-1037_RGB-Mars.jpg)
70.3 KB39 views
Old 10-11-2020, 01:03 PM
JA

Hi Marc,

Not that I'm in to planetary, but atmospheric dispersion may be an issue or implicated, in which case an atmospheric distortion corrector may help.

Best
JA
Old 10-11-2020, 01:42 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
Hi Marc,

Not that I'm in to planetary, but atmospheric dispersion may be an issue or implicated, in which case an atmospheric distortion corrector may help.

Best
JA
It's not a capture issue. Mars is pretty big and pretty high at the moment. And ADC wouldn't help. I'm after a processing solution. Hopefully a simple repeatable one that I can batch.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:05 PM
Tulloch (Andrew)

There are a large number of posts on the CN website (Major and Minor Planetary Imaging) forum on this topic, with a large number of methods proposed to remove it. Some are ...
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...24mc-for-mars/
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...uired-reading/

Personally, I find the easiest and quickest is to simply use the Healing brush tool in Photoshop and paint over the rind. Yes, I'm destroying the data that's there, but as far as I'm concerned the data is destroyed anyway by the diffraction.

You can use a lower sharpened version as a layer over the top, blur it out, non-destructive dodge-and-burn techniques or just learn to love it . It's completely up to you.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:32 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

i layer a softly processed version onto the outer perimeter (which usually is void of the edge artefact) - as there generally isn't much detail to be had anyway. worked pretty well.

on another note went to image mars last night (jetstream was good) and had power issues with my cable to scope
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2020-10-11-1241_4_lapl4_ap36_Drizzle15_conv RS6_pipp.gif)
170.9 KB33 views

Last edited by rustigsmed; 10-11-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:16 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
There are a large number of posts on the CN website (Major and Minor Planetary Imaging) forum on this topic, with a large number of methods proposed to remove it. Some are ...
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...24mc-for-mars/
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7...uired-reading/

Personally, I find the easiest and quickest is to simply use the Healing brush tool in Photoshop and paint over the rind. Yes, I'm destroying the data that's there, but as far as I'm concerned the data is destroyed anyway by the diffraction.

You can use a lower sharpened version as a layer over the top, blur it out, non-destructive dodge-and-burn techniques or just learn to love it . It's completely up to you.
Thanks for the links. I'll have a read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
i layer a softly processed version onto the outer perimeter (which usually is void of the edge artefact) - as there generally isn't much detail to be had anyway. worked pretty well.

on another note went to image mars last night (jetstream was good) and had power issues with my cable to scope
So you make a donut mask for the limb?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:10 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Marc, I pretty much do what Russell is doing. I process the image in Registax and create two .tif files. One I rename Rim and the other Surface. I sharpen using wavelets for surface detail, which causes the artifact on the edge and I process the second one with just enough sharpening until I notice the artifact appearing, then I pull back the sliders slightly to make it disappear.

Now I open both in Photoshop and drag the one I've called Rim onto the one I named Surface. Lower the transparency on the top layer to reveal the background image. This will help you register it as best as you can. Once you think you've got them in register, slide the transparency back to normal and toggle between top and bottom layer by clicking on the ' eye ' icon of the top layer. This will turn the top layer on and off. By doing this you will notice any error in registration and you can make micro adjustments with the move tool to align it correctly.

The next part is really up to you. You can make a ' donut ' out of the top layer by using the erasing tool with a soft brush to remove everything except near to the rim, or just blend the top layer with the background layer by trying the many filters available for layers from the drop down list. Once you're happy with the result, flatten the image.

Of course, I'm assuming you have Photoshop!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:21 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks for the tip and steps Michael. Sounds like s plan.