Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 15-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Royal Greenwich Astrophotographer of the Year

Seems team Oz has done well in IAPOTY 2020
Several IIS contributors incl. Mike Sidonio, Andy Casely, Martin Pugh, Niall McNeill, Diego Colonollo, Jay Evans, Terry Robison, Nina Zhao & myself were all shortlisted this year.
There may be some others as well, apologies if I've left anyone off this list
Here's a sample of the shortlisted images.
Old 15-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Several IIS contributors incl. Mike Sidonio, Andy Casely, Martin Pugh, Niall McNeill, Diego Colonollo, Jay Evans, Terry Robison, Nina Zhao & myself were all shortlisted this year.
I also got a gong this year, with just one entry
....but am not allowed to say much more at this time
Old 15-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Woohoo! Congratulations & good luck!
Old 15-07-2020, 06:15 PM
andyc (Andy)

Quote:
oooOOOooo. Well done Peter! And best of luck 😉

it's a pretty set of pictures released, and an honour to be on the shortlist again.
Old 15-07-2020, 08:39 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
That selection is a much better sample than is showing on the Greenwich Obs website. Well done to all the Aussies and good luck in the judging.

Malcolm
Old 17-07-2020, 09:27 AM
Paul Haese

Made the shortlist myself too. First time for a while.
Old 17-07-2020, 09:35 AM
JA

Good on you all guys, and the best of luck.

Best
JA
Old 11-09-2020, 10:16 AM
Paul Haese

Well the winners were announced this morning and I was pleased to see a lot of images from Australians in all the sections. In the Galaxy section there were a few of us who were shortlisted, myself included. I think Mark Hanson's image was spectacular and surprised it did not win.

Odd selection of winning images really.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:06 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Congrats to the Oz contingent. 5200 entrants from over 90 countries this year. Wow.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:16 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Some beautiful entries. The winning shot is a bit odd.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Winning image is a bit of a slap in the face to all of those who try night after night to get perfectly focused and even stars - not to mention the image of Andromeda itself is rather...average?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Winning image is a bit of a slap in the face to all of those who try night after night to get perfectly focused and even stars - not to mention the image of Andromeda itself is rather...average?
Really?

I am sure the overall winner....who is now about 20,000 Pacific pesos richer....doesn't give a toss about about some bloke's opinion in the antipodes who's calling it "average" .

Winners are grinners.

Don't like it? Fine.

Think you can do better?

Then toss your hat in the ring next year and prove it.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:33 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Interesting hearing him talk about 3D printing spacers for his image train to generate the effect... does anyone know how (in theory or practice) this is achieved? Reminded me of "tilt-shift" terrestrial photography.

Kids photos were pretty impressive, too!

And well done Peter, cool interview too. Do you reckon the smoke haze have much of an impact on the image?
Old 11-09-2020, 08:51 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
And well done Peter, cool interview too. Do you reckon the smoke haze have much of an impact on the image?
Is the Pope a Catholic?

A definitive yes.

Sydney was shrouded in smoke for months (I laughed when the sub-titles came up with "shredded"). I tried, time and time again to get more data, but more often than not, came up blank.

I dare say last summer's fires in Australia were the greatest environmental disaster in modern history to date.

The full affects of this are yet to be realised.

It struck me, using colour palette from press imagery was a no-brainer. I'm glad the judges agreed.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:20 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Really?

I am sure the overall winner....who is now about 20,000 Pacific pesos richer....doesn't give a toss about about some bloke's opinion in the antipodes who's calling it "average" .

Winners are grinners.

Don't like it? Fine.

Think you can do better?

I guess what Logan is saying is about the outer edge stars out of focus to give the impression of depth. It's a very stylised photo, out of the box thinking. I too thought at first the comp was for excellence in astrophotography then quickly had a look at last year winner and realised it is judged on creativity rather than technical achievement. Fair enough.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:40 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
...... I too thought at first the comp was for excellence in astrophotography then quickly had a look at last year winner and realised it is judged on creativity......
I've long held the view the CWAS/Mailn's were the " technical excellence" comp and Greenwich the "creative" comp.

The fact either forum exists to showcase astro-images is amazing. There are few, if any, other major forums to show the world what AP is all about.

Now that Canon has pulled out, I fear the future of the CWAS/Malins is bleak without a sponsor.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:14 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well it is a technique. Like colour balancing a HST palette or sharpening/noise reduction, starless, etc...I wouldn't call it plagiarism. We all replicate what someone else started and put our twist on it. Maybe a lot of people are unhappy about the winning shot as it must come as a bit of a surprise but as Peter says, if creativity is the criteria for a winner then it does.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:17 AM
Andy01 (Andy)

Quote:
Really?

Winners are grinners.

Don't like it? Fine.

Think you can do better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Reading a few FB threads to guage international opinion of the overall winner & came across this link. Seems plagiarism lives on ..... https://petapixel.com/2013/12/18/til...CTzmA6zrAqWbEA

Oh and Peter, Congratulations on your Category Win, but it seems a bit churlish to slap down 15 y/o Logan for sharing his honest opinion
Old 12-09-2020, 09:03 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Well it is a technique. Like colour balancing a HST palette or sharpening/noise reduction, starless, etc...I wouldn't call it plagiarism. We all replicate what someone else started and put our twist on it. Maybe a lot of people are unhappy about the winning shot as it must come as a bit of a surprise but as Peter says, if creativity is the criteria for a winner then it does.

I agree. Nothing belongs to anyone else. The techniques we use regularly were someones idea once. I do however think that the competition should outline what is considered to be an astrophotograph.

My comment about the winning images in some categories was directed mainly toward the notion that I personally would not have picked several of the winners. I felt that within a few categories there were better images. An example of which was in the solar system section where there were many images of planets at high res with artistic flare demonstrated and yet a wide field image of a conjunction won. To me the image does not have impact or anything I would describe as being of winning value. Same as the galaxy category. I think Mark Hanson's image was spectacular and would have taken hours of collection and processing to produce. However, I am not one of the judges and they chose it. You have to expect that what should win the competition or category will not often be chosen because the judges see something else.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Reading a few FB threads to guage international opinion of the overall winner & came across this link. Seems plagiarism lives on ..... https://petapixel.com/2013/12/18/til...CTzmA6zrAqWbEA

Oh and Peter, Congratulations on your Category Win, but it seems a bit churlish to slap down 15 y/o Logan for sharing his honest opinion

Maybe I was terse, but I make no apologies for my response to Logan. It seems manners are poorly taught these days.

As for plagiarism, where do you begin? As an example, the starless nebulae
technique was first used about 12 years ago...but recent software tools have made it very easy to do and quite popular.

I suspect I was the first to use the 360 degree panorama time-exposure technique (also 12 years ago) by remapping a circular fisheye image to a rectilinear one. Won me a Malin innovation prize. When it subsequently became an APOD, people improved on the method and 360 panoramas are now hugely popular.

That said, we are all influenced by the work of others, but that debate is best held elsewhere.