Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-07-2020, 07:49 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Vela SNR mosaic

The birth of this image was a long and painful labour! The acquisition of this 6 panel mosaic started in mid January and didn't finish until the end of March (a total of more than 37 hours of integration). The subs are all over the place with varying seeing conditions, suburban light pollution and varying phases of the moon. I've made many stumbling attempts at processing the images but ending up with a good mosaic wasn't possible until a couple of days ago when I found a PixInsight script that has only recently been released that saved me from dumping the data.

The panels were registered using the PixInsight "MosaicByCoordinates" script and then integrated using a new "PhotometricMosaic" script by John Murphy (see his post on the PixInsight forums at https://pixinsight.com/forum/index.p...iac-2-0.14838/).

For anyone putting a mosaic together with PixInsight, the script is worth checking out. Hopefully it will included in future PI releases as a standard script.

More details of the image and a link to a larger version are on Astrobin. The mosaic has lots of problems but this post is more about the script than it is about the image.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (VelaSNR_iis.jpg)
190.7 KB52 views

Last edited by kosborn; 21-07-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 21-07-2020, 09:18 PM
Kuz

Where do you start what an awesome image . You have to be happy with this one Kevin.
Old 21-07-2020, 10:58 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuz View Post
Where do you start what an awesome image . You have to be happy with this one Kevin.

Thanks Kuz,

Yes I'm happy with it when I try not to see the seams and gradients. I think I should have tried something more manageable for a first mosaic attempt though! There is a more modest 4 panel Rho Oph underway at the moment, hopefully a bit more polished in the end...
Old 22-07-2020, 10:08 AM
Paul Haese

Aside from the vaguely seen margin joins, there is lots to like about the image. Fine whispy sharp detail and overall great colour. Epic work and good on you for persisting and not ditching the data.
Old 22-07-2020, 08:08 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Aside from the vaguely seen margin joins, there is lots to like about the image. Fine whispy sharp detail and overall great colour. Epic work and good on you for persisting and not ditching the data.

Thanks Paul,

There was too much time invested to ditch the data so I'm really glad I found that PhotometricMosaic script. Good conditions here in Canberra tonight so I hope I'll finish the Rho Oph mosaic tonight - unless fog rolls in!