Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
some magnetic declination information from around the area for those using a compass
Geoscience Australia's web page for getting the magnetic variation on a specified date at a given lat/long. eg Trinity Beach

Requested: Latitude -16o 47' 00", Longitude 145o 42' 00", Elevation 0 km, Date 2012/11/13
Calculated: Latitude -16.7833o, Longitude +145.7000o, Elevation 0.00 km, Epoch 2012.8661

Magnetic Field Components

D = 6.873 deg

Quote:
Components of the Magnetic Field

D, the magnetic declination (sometimes called the magnetic variation), is the angle between the horizontal component of the magnetic field and true north. It is positive when the compass points east of true north, and negative when the compass points west of true north. Declination is given in degrees and its annual change is in degrees per year.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:31 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
Geoscience Australia's web page for getting the magnetic variation on a specified date at a given lat/long. eg Trinity Beach

Requested: Latitude -16o 47' 00", Longitude 145o 42' 00", Elevation 0 km, Date 2012/11/13
Calculated: Latitude -16.7833o, Longitude +145.7000o, Elevation 0.00 km, Epoch 2012.8661

Magnetic Field Components

D = 6.873 deg
6deg52'22"
Old 07-10-2012, 06:17 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Removing shades

Hi

There is one simple question to which I haven't yet found a clear answer: at what time can one remove the eclipse glasses for naked-eye viewing?

I know Eclipse Orchestrator has camera filters off at 20 sec before C2 but it's not clear to me if that is safe visually. I suspect not. I can't remember what I did last time. I expect wait until clearly after C2 and be safe. Any informed opinions?
Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

When to remove filters

David,
You can remove filters from all gear 15s-30s before totality. Don't stare at the sun for that 30s. Some people leave the glasses on longer or wear an eye patch on one eye (Aaarrrrh) so their eyes are dark adapted more quickly for totality.

Your eye's will tell you. IMO, 15s before totality, the thin crescent is far too bright to look at comfortably. As soon as the Baily Beads start popping, it's safe enough to look. Between C2-2min and C2-30s I find it much more interesting to look at the umbra coming in from the west. One of the reasons I've located my observing site in a big open field not on the beach with trees blocking half the sky.

BTW If you are who I think you are, I still have that A4 envelope with an assortment of Prism parts for you. Could you remind Allan to pick it up next time he's in Canberra.

Cheers
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (One_eyed_Schneid.jpg)
18.2 KB35 views
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

LOoan of telescope mounts for eclipse

I am in communication with a solar scientist from the USA who will be bringing a number of telescopes for the eclipse in November. He has asked if there is anywhere/anyone he might be able to borrow a telescope mount from.

He writes:
"I'd love a Paramount ME/MX or Losmandy most but anything else would also do. I need perhaps 3 drives and shipping from the US is expensive. We'll hope to have things like a 4" Takahashi plus various telephotos."

Anyone with anything they might be able to offer or other suggestions please contact me directly.
Regards,
Terry Cuttle
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 AM
cyclone

did the drive from Mareeba to Lakeland 'again' yesterday
Old 10-10-2012, 08:01 AM
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
did the drive from Mareeba to Lakeland 'again' yesterday
If you are able to grab a vehicle and if the police don't apply the 'move on' law there is plenty of space on the side of the road to view the eclipse
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM
gary

Quote:
If you are able to grab a vehicle and if the police don't apply the 'move on' law there is plenty of space on the side of the road to view the eclipse
Thanks Cyclone!

I have been looking at your web cams for the past couple of years!
Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 PM
universe24 (William Chin)

I heard there will be eclipse marathon going on on the eclipse day.
Anyone can confirm this? Where will the marathon begin and the route?
Will this affect random observer that try to get to their observation site?
Thanks.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 AM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

All the info is here.
http://solar-eclipse-marathon.com/
Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 AM

Thank you very much on the info.
It seem that the event occupied the beach way from four mile beach all the way to Port Douglas...
No chance to observe near the beach,...?
I will be at Port Douglas that time...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by universe24 View Post
Thank you very much on the info.
It seem that the event occupied the beach way from four mile beach all the way to Port Douglas...
No chance to observe near the beach,...?
I will be at Port Douglas that time...
On the basis of the information shown on the website:
The marthon route runs along the beach on the way home - that is at the end of the race.
For the full marathon the first runners will be on the beach about two hours after the start at third contact (and about one hour after fourth contact) so there should not be any interference to eclipse watching.
For the half marathon however which appears to start at the same time as the full marathon, the first runners may be coming along the beach round about fourth contact so that will be something to watch out for.

The other thing is the tide. High tide is about 9 AM on what will be one of the highest tides of the year. So the beach will be getting smaller and smaller and if you are staying until fourth contact you will need to be above the tide line at that time as well as being aware of possible half marathon runners.
The marathon organisers were advised of these issues months ago but apparently have decided to press on with the beach run. An interesting question is what will happen when the bulk of runners try to run along a virtually non existent beach at high tide.

Rgds,
Terry
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

I received an email from someone who has accommodation available at Mareeba:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Ms
Re the eclipse november 14

I live in Mareeba, Beames Street

I may have high set 3 bedroom fully furnished house available over this time.

Please contact email if you know some who may be interested.
If anyone is interested, get in touch with me and I'll pass their email address along.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTourist View Post
On the basis of the information shown on the website:
The marthon route runs along the beach on the way home - that is at the end of the race....

Rgds,
Terry
Thank you very much for the information. I appreciated.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Observing the eclipse from the Beach

Many people will want to observe the elipse from a beach.
Australian beaches are public places and anyone can go there.
However you will need a permit for any "commercial activity".
An astronomy club taking members to the beach for the eclipse should be fine.
But if it is part of a tour and you have paid for it and especially if there is some activity like a BBQ then you may need a permit. And there is of course a fee for that.
If you do get a permit it may allow you to put up a tape barrier to protect your equipment from wandering members of the public. But you would have to ask for approval of that.
The Cairns Regional Council is the responsible body (for beaches from Cairns to the Port Douglas area) and there is information on their website: http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/communi...ATE=2012-11-01
This includes a link to the booking form.
Note that the site says that bookings need to be done by the 30th Sept, but if yours is a simple request I understand that they may still respond to your request.

Enjoy the eclipse.
Terry
Old 14-10-2012, 02:48 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

AAQ Eclipse Education Website

The AAQ eclipse education website is now on line at www.eclipse.aaq.org.au The website has been developed to assist teachers to provide a range of lessions and activities linked to the eclipse. The material has been developed by a joint group of volunteers from the Astronomical Association of Queensland and the science Teachers Association of Queensland.
Although it is targetted at teachers, there is lots of information of general interest about eclipses and the eclipse in November.
The website includes: detailed information on the science of eclipses and details of the eclipse of 14 November as it will occur both in and outside the path of totality; a range of activities and lesson plans with the eclipse as their focus, ready for use in the classroom and all linked to the National Curriculum; prepared PowerPoint presentations to assist in teaching about eclipses in general and this year’s eclipse and posters promoting the eclipse.
All this is available for viewing or downloading. A useful first point is to download the 28 page booklet which includes much of the descriptive text on the website. It is available under the downloads tab. A printed copy of this booklet as well as posters and a CD of the powerpoint presentations and activities has been sent to all schools in Queensland.

Although this is specifically aimed at Queensland schools, much of it is applicable to schools outside the path of totality so it is relevant to the whole of Australia.

I would specifically urge any teachers to check out what is available on the website. And if you are a Queensland teacher and have not seen the package of information sent to your school (they were addressed to Principals or equivalent) then please use the "contact us" form to request another package.

Anyone with any specific query anout the material please PM me or use the Contact us form on the website.

Regards,
Terry Cuttle
Old 17-10-2012, 08:47 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Eclipse Orchestrator Visualiser

I posted this enquiry in another thread but I think it is more appropriate here, and may get answered .

I've got my photographic gear together, can run sequences and am pretty organised with my coronal shots. The thing I'm hung up on is the sequence around the 2nd and 3rd contacts - what features to shoot when. I think the visualiser in EO has some advice but I can't find it documented anywhere. There are a number of coloured bands which I think represent features like Diamond Ring, Bailey Beads, Chromosphere, Prominences, Inner Corona and Outer Corona. Their span across the time axis is the time to shoot these features and the position on the vertical axis is their brightness (in Q?). Does anyone know if I am reading this right? Otherwise, when should I shoot what?
Old 22-10-2012, 06:30 PM
cyclone

up up and away .....

http://www.ragingthunder.com.au/cair...november-2012/
Old 22-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
I soooo wanted to do that while im there but the boys are too chicken LOL
Old 23-10-2012, 09:04 AM
cyclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I soooo wanted to do that while im there but the boys are too chicken LOL
just got a reply back from one of the pilots of Raging Thunder and the max. Flight level is 6500 feet