Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers

Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

IC Capture crashing and corrupting video

I'm having some very frustrating issues with IC Capture ATM:

The first video I record in a session seems OK, but it takes a very long time for the program to "come back" after I press the stop recording button.

When it does, the live view stops (or it might stop when the stop recording button is pressed) and I have to reselect the camera from the drop down list to restart the live view.

After that, IC Capture may continue to record video, but they are unreadable/corrupted, or IC Capture may simply disappear entirely when the record button is pressed.

I did a repair on IC Capture a week ago and a test run seemed to suggest all was fixed, but yesterday it was back again.

It started a few weeks ago when I ran out of memory while capturing. I plugged in an external HDD to continue capturing and the playing up started. Also about the same time my antivirus/security software (CA ISS) went out of date and had to be updated (I don't know if this is related?)

Any ideas? The forecast is for sun clear skies here tomorrow so the pressure is on!

Al.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Gee...that doesn't sound good. I have IC too with a DMK but I haven't tried it 'in production' yet. What version are you using? I use 2.2 but also have the older 2.1.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Yep. nothing but trouble for the last 2 years with all versions of IC Capture my end.

With the latest version, I'm getting a 5-8 second delay in recording & stopping recording. A lot of times the program will simply freeze while adjusting an exposure/gain/gamma slider. No option but to restart the computer.

Great camera's - A bear of a capture program
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Hmmm
I must be the lucky one.
I use ICv2.1 with the firewire DMK21 and DMK41.
For the last three years with the old ACER laptop and XP3, I've had a few drop outs but mostly due to poor connections between the camera and the laptop.
What's the v2.2 upgrade?? -Must check it out....
Edit: The IS website is still showing V2.1 for download...anyone have info on V2.2???

Last edited by Merlin66; 11-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Gee...that doesn't sound good. I have IC too with a DMK but I haven't tried it 'in production' yet. What version are you using? I use 2.2 but also have the older 2.1.
I'm using V2.0. I've downloaded the latest driver today. I'm not sure if my driver is the latest or not but I'll update it and maybe try an update on IC Capture too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimov View Post
Yep. nothing but trouble for the last 2 years with all versions of IC Capture my end.

With the latest version, I'm getting a 5-8 second delay in recording & stopping recording. A lot of times the program will simply freeze while adjusting an exposure/gain/gamma slider. No option but to restart the computer.

Great camera's - A bear of a capture program
I've had occasional gremlins, but it had been working really solidly for a long time before this latest batch of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
Hmmm
I must be the lucky one.
I use ICv2.1 with the firewire DMK21 and DMK41.
For the last three years with the old ACER laptop and XP3, I've had a few drop outs but mostly due to poor connections between the camera and the laptop.
What's the v2.2 upgrade?? -Must check it out....
Edit: The IS website is still showing V2.1 for download...anyone have info on V2.2???
I haven't found v2.2 (yet)... I'll go to v2.1 anyway at least. and give it a whirl...

Al.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Al

It might be worth uninstalling IC Capture and re-installing it and then the drivers for the camera. I did this after I had a problem with my Firewire DMK21AF04.AS a couple of years ago.

I’m not sure about the USB versions, but Imaging Source writes the following for Win XP about the FW versions:

"Quick start
  • First of all, connect the camera with the computer and insert the CD please
  • First of all install the Camera Driver
  • After that please install IC Capture TIS
Software installationImportant: When you first connect the camera to your PC‘s IEEE 1394 interface, Microsoft Windows automatically installs a generic driver. This driver must not be used. Instead, please follow these steps to install The Imaging Source driver:

• Please insert the included CD and click
(1) Install Camera Driver (please follow the Driver Installation Wizard's dialog) and
(2) Install IC Capture.AS (please follow the Driver Installation Wizard's dialog). During the installation you will be asked to enter a serial number. Please find it on the CD's envelope".

After I followed these instructions all was well, although I seem to recall that I had to install drivers as 3 separate installs for my DMK21, DMK31 and DBK21 on a per camera basis, as I plugged each one in, one at a time.

Cheers

Dennis

Last edited by Dennis; 12-11-2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Added "Quick Start" bullet points (x3)
Old 11-11-2010, 08:44 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Hi Al

It might be worth uninstalling IC Capture and re-installing it and then the drivers for the camera. I did this after I had a problem with my Firewire DMK21AF04.AS a couple of years ago.

I’m not sure about the USB versions, but Imaging Source writes the following for Win XP about the FW versions:

"Software installation
Important: When you first connect the camera to your PC‘s IEEE 1394 interface, Microsoft Windows automatically installs a generic driver. This driver must not be used. Instead, please follow these steps to install The Imaging Source driver:

• Please insert the included CD and click
(1) Install Camera Driver (please follow the Driver Installation Wizard's dialog) and
(2) Install IC Capture.AS (please follow the Driver Installation Wizard's dialog). During the installation you will be asked to enter a serial number. Please find it on the CD's envelope".

After I followed these instructions all was well, although I seem to recall that I had to install drivers as 3 separate installs for my DMK21, DMK31 and DBK21 on a per camera basis, as I plugged each one in, one at a time.

Cheers

Dennis
Thanks Dennis, I've just updated the drivers from the web site, though I plugged both my DMKs in at the same time and installed the drivers. Hopefully that will still work...

But the plot thickens... I found v2.1 of IC Capture on the website, so I've installed that, but....

1. It only installs as v2.0.1.550, not v2.1
  2. It only installs as a trial version and I can't see how to register it. There's no provision to enter the registration key...
I've sent an email to support advising them of the anomalies and asking how to upgrade.

I'll try out the cameras again tomorrow, and go the next step perhaps...... not sure what, but we'll see.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Al.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:16 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Good tips Dennis. I'll check which drivers I'm running. I got IC 2.2 download link sent to me by tech support. I emailed them my S/N and they emailed me the link back for download.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Hi Guys

I have just updated my post with a copy of the text from the “Quick Start” Para. from the TIS data sheet, as follows:

Quick start
  • First of all, connect the camera with the computer and insert the CD please
  • First of all install the Camera Driver
  • After that please install IC Capture TIS
Cheers

Dennis
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

The plot thickens...

After last nights changes (upgrade drivers) I tested them out this morning. No change. Even the new install of the trial version of IC Capture had the same problem.

So I uninstalled the trial version of IC Capture, and my original, and reinstalled. Viola it paicked up v2.1. But it still wouldn't work...

So I reinstalled the latest driver again with just the DMK 41 plugged in.

I did a couple of small videos to test... . I thought I had it nailed, but when I did a 600 frame video its back... also at 200 frames...

It would appear to be related to the \size of the video file.... I have 19.9GB free on the C drive, and 11.5GB free on D...

I will contact support at IS again I think...

Al.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ICCapErr1.jpg)
81.0 KB28 views
Attached Files
File Type: txt 3fd_appcompat.txt (11.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 16-11-2010, 06:18 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Update... not any better yet...

At the advice of IS support here's the results of this arvo's testing:

• Fault occurs on both cameras (DMK 21 and 41).
  • Fault occurs on both USB camera leads.
  • Fault occurs on both USB ports on laptop, both with my usual observatory devices connected and without any other devices connected.
  • Fault occurs on both IC Capture v2.1 and v2.2.
  • Fault does not appear on my desktop computer (I installed IC capture v2.2 on it to test).
  • Fault may not appear on some short captures but usually does on captures >200 frames after the first video.

Signs of the fault are:
  • First video capture takes a long time to close the file and for control to return to the program.
  • Live view freezes when the first video is stopped.
  • Clicking the live view button twice to stop and restart the live view results in recording starting immediately on the second video, with the stop button greyed out.
  • Pressing the record button, or pause button results in a fatal error.
  • Usually the first video is readable, but subsequent are not.
  • NB that on the laptop IC Capture v2.2 would keep changing back to automatic exposure after I uncheck the checkbox as soon as I changed the exposure. This does not happen on my desktop PC (it performs perfectly there).

So the problem is definitely with something on my laptop.

I also searched around and found some people reckoned they could use K3ccdtools with their DMKs, but I can't. I keep getting a can't resolve preview error or whatever it is.

Al.
Old 16-11-2010, 07:42 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

I've only just spotted this thread, but I have had a similar problem with IC Capture, but I have a feeling its actually related to the CA Antivirus.
I had so much trouble with other programs appearing to install, but then have missing drivers, and, in additon the laptop (Dell Inspiron with XP SP3)slowing to a grind that I rebuilt it. Seemed good for a while, but then I installed the IC capture with the AV disabled. It appeared to work for a while, but then, as you say, some of the files were not readable with Registax, and then it would not go back to 'live view' propserly.If you licked live view on/off then Live view appeared to work, but that action somehow started recording without notice. (I had problems with Registax loading and running properly also)
I swapped to another laptop (Toshiba Qosmio 64bit Windows7) I have here, running Windows 7 and Nortons AV and have had absolutely no problems with any of the programs since. I just have this feeling there is an issue caused by CA AV software when it comes to allowing device drivers to install and function properly.

Brian C
Old 17-11-2010, 06:14 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Thanks Brian,

I think you could be right, but I'm running the CA ISS on the desktop as well and it all seems to work OK there so I'm not 100% sure. I'm running out of other options anyway so I'll have to start trying this sort of stuff again (I've alsready tried it with the firewall disabled as UMxAgent seemed too busy for my liking - but no success then).

Thanks,

Al.
Old 17-11-2010, 06:45 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Quote:
I also searched around and found some people reckoned they could use K3ccdtools with their DMKs, but I can't.
bit OT Al but I have a similar prob. I can usually get my DMK to work but the DBK is very problematic. The biggest issue I have with it is the exposure settings are absolute (? -6, -5, -4 ...0, 1, 2, etc) and not fractional. At times phd used to balk with the DBK.

Doesn't really help you with your prob though.
Old 18-11-2010, 08:19 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Thumbs up Eureka! I think I have it!...

CA ISS 2010 is the culprit!

I've just "snoozed" CA ISS for 10 minutes and both IC Capture v2.1 and v2.2 performed flawlessly... restarted CA ISS and IC Capture started playing up again. It's got to go...

So what's a good Computer security package that's compatible with IC Capture???

BTW I got K3 to run with my DMK 21... I'll have to try again with the DMK 41 and see if I can get around the error mesage it gave me last time.

Al.
Old 18-11-2010, 08:28 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
So what's a good Computer security package that's compatible with IC Capture???

Al.
Give ESET Smart Security 4 a go Al.
Actually I just renewed my 2yr licence through Geoff (GTB_an_Owl), he's a reseller.
I've always been very happy with ESET and haven't had any conflicts with IC capture.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:32 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

Nortons seems to work for me so far with all the software I'm running. (SkyX pro,CCDsoft, CCDstack,Envisage,Registax,IC Capture, Iris.)

BC
Old 20-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Zaps

Maybe try ditching AV completely?
Old 21-11-2010, 04:20 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Well after yesterday's success with my PZT on the observatory, I was pumped this morning. I bought ESET, got rid of CA ISS and all passed initial testing with flying colours...

This afternoon I tackled my other problem ATM, my dyslexic beam splitter... after doing what I hoped would fix it (it didn't!) I decided to try to take a couple of daylight captures to show the problem...

Guess what came back?...

Yep! The same problem, or so similar it doesn't matter. It only happened once...

I have just had to walk away...

I haven't done any successful astronomy since IISAC and I need a break...

Al.
Old 22-11-2010, 06:27 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Shhhhhh! Be vewy, vewy qwiet....

I don't want to get my hopes up too soon... but after a day of not doing anything trying to fix this problem, this afternoon it occurred to me that maybe I should try installing the camera drivers again now that CA ISS is gone. If there is real interference between the programs then maybe something was not right after I uninstalled CA ISS.

So this arvo I have reinstalled the drivers... again... and so far all is well.

So be vewy, vewy qwiet and cross everything... I must try to remember to be calm and relaxed when I next have a real go at imaging!

I must say, though, both my laptop and desktop have been running crisply and cleanly since I changed to ESET. The difference has been noticeable. Thanks for the tip, RB.

Al.