Old 30-11-2009, 08:50 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

QHY8 Power supply

Hi guys, I'm working out all the right angle cables to arrange the QHY8 leads with my hyperstar. So far I have the USB sorted out. I ordered a right angle S-Video cable from the US for the power but the bloody thing is not shielded/grounded. So I'm in the process of making my own. Jaycar doesn't have the right angle part I'm after. I know there is another electronic shop along the hume hwy going towards Sydney from Liverpool. Got bit n' pieces from them couple of years ago but I lost the address. Anyone would know about it?

I'm basically after a right angle male s-video plug and a 4 core with individual shielding cable. I reckon I can get the cable from Jaycar but the tricky bit is the right angle end. Thanks for any pointers.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:25 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

There is Wagner Electronics Services on the right hand side of the Hume Hwy/Liverpool Rd at Ashfield.

http://www.wagner.net.au/catalogue/

They do all sorts of electronics parts over the counter, all the one the Jaycar don't

IPrices are good.

If you find what you need, I can pick it up, it is only 5mins away.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Thanks trev. I'll give them a call.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well I called Wagner and it's a no go. I have googled this to death now for days. Even went to some US sites that sell right angle adapters and cables to connect pretty much anything you can think of to anything you didn't even know existed, even low profile... Do you think they would be S-Video? Nope . I reckon finding a shielded 90 degree S-Video cable is like winning lotto. Actually I don't know if I should laugh or cry . I'm in hacking mode now. Doing my own. I might resell it for "$1million dollars" as I'm pretty sure it's going to be the only one of the planet. May be Doug can google it for me [dugnsuz]. He's got a nack for pin-pointing unsearchable stuff?
Old 01-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Barrykgerdes

Hi Marc
Have you tried Farnell or RS components. They have a gigantic inventry.
I have a Farnell catalogue here. It has thousands of plugs and sockets and cable.

Barry
Old 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykgerdes View Post
Hi Mark
Have you tried Farnell or RS components. They have a gigantic inventry.
I have a Farnell catalogue here. It has thousands of plugs and sockets and cable.

Barry
Nope. Do they have anything online?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

I have a PhD in Websearch , is this what you are looking for?

http://au.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg...35?Ntt=1280735

Says there are 6 in stock in AU.

You will have to make the rest of the cable assembly, but that shouldnt be too hard.

I have a PHD in Websearch
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
I have a PhD in Websearch , is this what you are looking for?

http://au.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg...35?Ntt=1280735

Says there are 6 in stock in AU.

You will have to make the rest of the cable assembly, but that shouldnt be too hard.

I have a PHD in Websearch
Sure is. You legend!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Barrykgerdes

Hi Marc

I don't think Trev would have found it so easy if he did not have his old man to point him in the right direction. Phd? that's a new one to me! I found that plug in the catalogue yesterday.

Baz
Old 02-12-2009, 08:32 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Hi Marc

I don't think Trev would have found it so easy if he did not have his old man to point him in the right direction. Phd? that's a new one to me! I found that plug in the catalogue yesterday.

Baz
Ban him from the G11 for one week. How disrespectful is that? Taking all the light off the old man. Go get him.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:42 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well I received my S-Video adapters today and they're GREAT!
Very well thought out. Low profile and the 4 pin din part can be rotated. This stuff is just very well designed and cheap too. Unbelievable. They're shiny as buggery though - gold and silver but nothing a bit of black mate paint won't fix. I would recommend them to anyone who wants low 90 degrees angled cables for their HS/QHY8 combo.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)

Quote:
Hi Marc

Baz

Yeah, but you didnt find it until after I told you it was there The web is mightier than the book.

I didnt look in Farnell, I searched for the part characteristics on Google and Farnell in the UK returned a diagram/picture. I then scoured the picture and for different numbers that could be part numbers and finally found one that returned the part in the Farnell AU site.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Barrykgerdes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgerdes View Post
Yeah, but you didnt find it until after I told you it was there The web is mightier than the book.

I didnt look in Farnell, I searched for the part characteristics on Google and Farnell in the UK returned a diagram/picture. I then scoured the picture and for different numbers that could be part numbers and finally found one that returned the part in the Farnell AU site.
Ah! ah! you young whipper snapper don't contradict your elders especially your old man who is underwriting your supply of telescope parts!

I was in fact the expert in locating plugs and sockets for all sorts of weird and wonderful secret communications equipment during my ship building days. I had a very extensive library of plug and socket catalogues. We even made a waterproof plug for a 32 wire underwater cable. That was quite a task. We made our own injection moulding device to do it.

I found that plug in the old 2000 version of the Farnell catalogue but needed to confirm it was still available. A task I was going to leave to Marc.

Baz