Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Mars

Hi All
A quick stack of an avi file from yesterday morning in reasonable seeing.
Details - 127mm Triplet, 3X barlow ( 22850 f/l ) Eq6, 20% of 10,000 frames, PIPP, Registax.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (20200906 03_47_16_pipp.jpg)
9.6 KB80 views
Old 07-09-2020, 11:34 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's pretty cool. It's so tiny though. Might give it a go tonight see if I can find it.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Jeff
Great effort for such a dim object
I suspect it was below 50 degrees to the north east that time of morning, so you would be pushing through some turbulent salt laden air being at the Gong
I’ve attempted Mars on several occasions over the years and it’s always ended up being an orange / brown fuzzy disc
Well done !!
Old 07-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks guys

Great effort for such a dim object
I suspect it was below 50 degrees to the north east that time of morning, so you would be pushing through some turbulent salt laden air being at the Gong
I’ve attempted Mars on several occasions over the years and it’s always ended up being an orange / brown fuzzy disc
Well done !![/QUOTE]

Mars is now +20" so is quite large for us in our skies compared to most of the time away from opposition when it can be as small as 5 or 6". It is not a dim object either, it has a very high surface brightness. With a gain setting of about 250 and 6ms , I was capturing at 150 frames / sec. At the time I was imaging, 4:00 am Mars was past the meridian, so was NNW.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:34 PM
AdamJL

outstanding

22850 f/l... good grief, that is awesome Why are you posting in the beginners forum?!
Old 07-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Thanks for the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
outstanding

22850 f/l... good grief, that is awesome Why are you posting in the beginners forum?!
Apologies for not proof reading my post closely enough, focal length should've read 2850mm.
I only post in the beginners section because I don't think my processing skills are good enough and I couldn't be bothered obsessing over spending hours tweaking in Pixinsight or Gimp or whatever. spend too much time staring at screens as it is.
Old 08-09-2020, 02:07 AM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Almost a full disc, it must be close to that time of the year. This a really nice grab Jeff. Well done!
Old 08-09-2020, 08:14 AM
Cliff (Clifford)

Nice image I tried last night around 11pm Mars was at about 22' but the air was really turbulent and couldn't get a clear focus. Still I will process the files today and see what comes out.
Was using my Meade 6"ACF SCT and a ZWO178MC with Sharpcap.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Mars reaches opposition next month, on the 14th, when it will be 22.3" dia. The largest apparent size for us until 2035 so make the most of any chance you get to observe or image the planet. Also the next 4 oppositions Mars will be further north in our skies, so lower down as well as being smaller in diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Almost a full disc, it must be close to that time of the year. This a really nice grab Jeff. Well done!
Old 08-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Nice image I tried last night around 11pm Mars was at about 22' but the air was really turbulent and couldn't get a clear focus. Still I will process the files today and see what comes out.
Was using my Meade 6"ACF SCT and a ZWO178MC with Sharpcap.
Similar story, I tried to image again last night and despite CFN showing dark blue ( steady ) jet steam, the warm northerly breeze was destroying the seeing. Like looking at a pebble at the bottom of a pond on a windy day. I did take 2 video files at approx 200 frames / sec but I knew they would not be any good and on reviewing the videos and trying to process one, gave up and deleted the files , as useless.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Cliff (Clifford)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Similar story, I tried to image again last night and despite CFN showing dark blue ( steady ) jet steam, the warm northerly breeze was destroying the seeing. Like looking at a pebble at the bottom of a pond on a windy day. I did take 2 video files at approx 200 frames / sec but I knew they would not be any good and on reviewing the videos and trying to process one, gave up and deleted the files , as useless.
Good description !

Here's my result after stacking about 1200 images. Meade 6"ACF SCT and ZWO178MC My first ever Mars pics so I was stoked anyway

https://telescopius.com/pictures/vie...lanet/by-cliff