Old 25-04-2020, 11:21 AM
Gr4h4m (Graham)

ZWO Camera For William Optics Z103

I’m just about to order a William Optics Zenithstar 103 and had been intending on attaching my DSLR for imaging.

I’m now considering switching out my DSLR with a dedicated Astronomy camera and was looking to see if anyone had any recommendations on what might be best suited to the 710mm focal length of the 103.

I’ve been looking at the ASI1600MM but thought I would put it out there in case anyone is either running the same scope or camera.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25-04-2020, 02:32 PM
Astronut07 (Ben)

G’day Graham

I have a WO110 & I use a ZWO1600MC ( with the WO field flattener)

I don’t think you can go to wrong with that camera but maybe you should use the bintel calculator to check if that combination is suitable

https://www.bintel.com.au/tools/astr...v=322b26af01d5

Good luck
Old 25-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Gr4h4m (Graham)

That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks very much mate. Looks like the ASI1600MM will do the job.
Old 25-04-2020, 03:35 PM
Astronut07 (Ben)

Your welcome

Clear skies 👍
Old 25-04-2020, 10:09 PM
gregbradley

Check the threads on Cloudynights.com for the ASI1600 (and QHY variants).

It has microlens artifacts on very bright stars. That may not be an issue for you as it could be avoided by not having a really bright star in the image.

The ASI183mm Pro is a more modern sensor, higher sensitivity, similar size (a bit smaller). No microlense artifacts. On a 103mm APO you would do fine.

Greg.
Old 27-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Gr4h4m (Graham)

Thank you very much.

I’ll look into both options. Hoping I can find something which is in stock at the moment. Been waiting on a 290MM Mini for guiding for a few weeks now due to shipping issues because of everything which is going on at the moment.
Old 27-04-2020, 11:36 AM
stephen2615 (Stephen)

If you are going to get a monochrome camera, you could be waiting a long time for the rest of the stuff you need, eg Optolong filters are almost impossible to get now. Autofocusers and filter wheels also add to the angst of this supply chain timing.

Also, what are you going to use the 290 MM mini on? I have it on a ZWO 30F4 guide scope and it is barely usable because of the back focus. You need extenders to focus it properly with the 30F4. Guess what, those extenders are as rare as hens teeth.

PS Have you seen the deal on Ebay.com.au re your WO selection?

Last edited by stephen2615; 27-04-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 27-04-2020, 09:43 PM
Gr4h4m (Graham)

Yeah, I’ve had a look around and managed to find a few retailers who have filter wheels and filters in stock at the moment, albeit there will likely be some shipping delays.

In the meantime I’ve got my DSLR.

I’m looking to order the Z103 this week, however, I’m also expecting there to be a delay when it comes to shipping.

I’m in no great hurry at the moment.

I’ll be using the 290MM on a WO 50mm guide scope.

I’ve just had a look on eBay but I’m not sold unfortunately. The pricing seems too good to be true, the listing advises scopes are made to order and the seller isn’t an authorised WO dealer which has the potential to cause issues if I ever run into a warranty claim.

I’d also been looking at the Skywatcher Esprit 80 recently. Maybe I’ll give it another few days before I order the scope.....decisions, decisions.

Last edited by Gr4h4m; 27-04-2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Include more information
Old 29-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Gr4h4m (Graham)

So, after a lot of deliberation I think I’ve made my decision.....

The HEQ5PRO mount and ZWO ASI290MM Mini are on their way and I’m going to order a William Optics Z81 and ZWO ASI183MM Pro tomorrow.

Pairing the Z81 with the ASI183MM Pro should give me a similar FOV to what the Z103 would when paired with the ASI1600MM and the price difference will give me more than enough left over to pick up a filter wheel and a decent set of LRGB and narrowband filters.

Looking forward to everything arriving so I can start imaging.....just in time for some cold and crisp clear skies (fingers crossed).

Last edited by Gr4h4m; 29-04-2020 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 29-04-2020, 06:46 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr4h4m View Post
So, after a lot of deliberation I think I’ve made my decision.....

The HEQ5PRO mount and ZWO ASI290MM Mini are on their way and I’m going to order a William Optics Z81 and ZWO ASI183MM Pro tomorrow.

Pairing the Z81 with the ASI183MM Pro should give me a similar FOV to what the Z103 would when paired with the ASI1600MM and the price difference will give me more than enough left over to pick up a filter wheel and a decent set of LRGB and narrowband filters.

Looking forward to everything arriving so I can start imaging.....just in time for some cold and crisp clear skies (fingers crossed).
I think you made some smart choices there Graham.

Looking forward to your first light and make sure you post for help when you get everything to make the learning curve a lot easier.

You can always PM for advice.

Greg.
Old 29-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Gr4h4m (Graham)

Thanks Greg, much appreciated.

Looking forward to getting everything set up once it all arrives.

It’s certainly going to be a lot different to what I’m used to when it comes to photography but I’m looking forward to a new challenge.....and something I can get stuck into whilst this virus keeps me away from shooting sport.

I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions along the way but, from what I’ve seen on the forum so far, there’s plenty of tips and advice out there to get me started.