Old 13-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Suzy_A

DSLR H-alpha Correction filter for Canon EOS

Hi Everyone,

does anyone know anything about the Baader DSLR H-alpha Correction filter for Canon EOS cameras?

http://www.baader-planetarium.de/zub...#wechselfilter

Has anyone any experience in fitting this into an EOS and using it? It says on the webpage (if my understanding of German is correct) that it's designed for the 300/350D but can also be fitted into a 10/20/30D but needs the small gap filled up with Silastic or similar.

Has anyone got a copy of 'Sterne und Weltraum' (Star and Space[?]) Sept 2005, page 66?

Susan
Old 29-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Suzy_A

Hi Everyone.

No one seems to have responded to my question and as it's moving way down the line I'm just putting something up again to move it back up.

So.... does anyone now anything about the Baader IR/UV filter for Canon EOS cameras...????
Old 30-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Adrian-H
Naturalist

the digital eos camera's have a internal UV/IR filter that is manufactured by cannon with the camera, this UV/IR filter blocks H-alpha.

if this internal UV/IR canon filter is not removed, you will not gain H-alpha from the camera, untill it is removed.

removing this internal cannon filter is a delicate job as it requires the whole camera to be took apart, not to be took lightly.

once this filter is removed, the camera's cmos sensor will be exposed to full spectrums of light, and images will come out weirded out, this is when you need a new UV/IR filter such as that baader one, which will block UV and IR, but still allow h-alpha through.

i bought my modded camera from hutech with a ready installed replacement filter.

hope this helps.
Old 30-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Suzy_A

Hi Adrian,

thanks for your post - but it doesn't really help.

I basically already knew everything that you said. What I'm after is someone who has fitted the Baader filter to a 20/30D/a as I think that there may be a few issues when the filter is fitted to one of these. Is your camera a 300 or 350 or 20 or 30 or????

Also who in Australia can fit them? I phoned a few camera repair places and they all refused - the one guy that had done something similar said that although he is deperate for money, he isn't that desperate. Canon won't return calls and the one time I spoke to a real human (actually I was transferred 8 times during the call) he basically could not understand what I was saying. For some reason the concept of removing an internal filter and replacing it with another one was beyond his understanding.

By the way, how does your camera go for normal photography? Do you use a IR blocking filter over the lens, under the lens or white-ballance control or software afterwards to correct the colour?
Old 30-08-2006, 04:07 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_A
Hi Adrian,

thanks for your post - but it doesn't really help.

I basically already knew everything that you said. What I'm after is someone who has fitted the Baader filter to a 20/30D/a as I think that there may be a few issues when the filter is fitted to one of these. Is your camera a 300 or 350 or 20 or 30 or????

Also who in Australia can fit them? I phoned a few camera repair places and they all refused - the one guy that had done something similar said that although he is deperate for money, he isn't that desperate. Canon won't return calls and the one time I spoke to a real human (actually I was transferred 8 times during the call) he basically could not understand what I was saying. For some reason the concept of removing an internal filter and replacing it with another one was beyond his understanding.

By the way, how does your camera go for normal photography? Do you use a IR blocking filter over the lens, under the lens or white-ballance control or software afterwards to correct the colour?
david burren photography
Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Adrian-H
Naturalist

350d i use the custom color balance with 18% grey to regain proper coloring. it works just fine , ill show you a sample or two when i get back from shopping.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Adrian-H
Naturalist

here this picture i took in the park earlyer this morning with the 350d with hutech type1 replacement filter,

i just applied a 18% grey white balance, with the sunlight cast on the 18% grey card.

no image processing, just image cut down in size and quality to post here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1_9_2006_2fl.JPG)
52.3 KB70 views
Old 01-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Ha responce

The attached graphs show the increase in Ha sensitivity with the IR filter removed. Goes from 0.4 to almost .95
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (canon_2.png)
6.2 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (canon_5000k_2.png)
7.3 KB46 views
Old 01-09-2006, 09:04 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

can you purchase the Hutech type1 filter by itself?
Old 20-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Suzy_A

Hi Everyone,

thanks to h0ughy for his info about David Burren!

I contacted David and will be sending my camera to him to have the filter mods done. I've actually decided to go for the totally clear filter which extends the 30D sensitivity from into the UV all the way to IR.

Of course this means that I need a UV blocking filter over the lens for everything, including astro (unless I want to take UV photos of course!) and a IR blocking filter for 'normal' photography.

So... does anyone want an unused Baader filter for a Canon EOS? Same price as what I paid for it (plus postage) - about $180.
Old 21-09-2006, 02:03 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy_A
Hi Everyone,

thanks to h0ughy for his info about David Burren!

I contacted David and will be sending my camera to him to have the filter mods done. I've actually decided to go for the totally clear filter which extends the 30D sensitivity from into the UV all the way to IR.

Of course this means that I need a UV blocking filter over the lens for everything, including astro (unless I want to take UV photos of course!) and a IR blocking filter for 'normal' photography.

So... does anyone want an unused Baader filter for a Canon EOS? Same price as what I paid for it (plus postage) - about $180.
Hope you didn't mention my name, David would have charged double . I did get mine at a very inappropriate time (his father passed away just days after i got my camera back)
Old 21-09-2006, 04:54 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy
david burren photography
i have contacted david for info a few weeks ago. no replies might try again . Hi Suzy, how will you attach the IR filter for normal photography? The Baader 2" filters don't fit straight on a lense unless the lense is modded or you will need some sort of adapter to it.

Let me know how you go with the modded version on normal photography. If it works well i might do the same with mine.
thanks.

Last edited by EzyStyles; 21-09-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 23-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Suzy_A

Hi Eric,
I haven't had my camera done yet - I'm sending it to him next week. I found he was a bit slow to reply to my emails - but then he had been in WA for a few weeks, dropping very expensive Canon 'L' series lenses down mountain-sides. Best way is to give him a phonecall. Have a look at his www page for contact details - www.burren.cx

As for using the camera for normal stuff, I bought two 67 mm B+W UV/IR blocking filters for the front of my lenses. Basically, I'll use them like a normal UV filter on the front. One is a 486 which is clear and transmits the whole visible spectrum and the other is a 489 which starts to cut off at about 550 nm and has a pale green tint. The way I see it, the 489 should compensate for the extended red sensitivity and so bring the camera pretty much back to standard spec. But I'll have to wait and see.

Have a look at www.filtershop.com.au or http://www.madsens.com.au/hoyacart/b%2Bw/screw.htm and http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au

I think that the camera's white balance (on a manual or custom setting) will actually cope without a filter but I suspect that the image quality will drop as the UV and IR will be out of focus with the visible light.

I'll let you know in a few weeks..

Susan
Old 24-09-2006, 08:44 PM
EzyStyles (Eric)
I HATE COMA!

thanks susan will do. can't wait to see and compare the differences from modded and unmodded. The most concerning thing for me is to be able to take 100% normal photo's once it is modded .
Old 25-09-2006, 12:04 PM
avandonk
avandonk

I think what you are after is one of these

Lens-mounted Filters for Hutech/Canon Enhanced Cameras VLC-58 Daylight Filter - 58mm $199.00 VLC-67 Daylight Filter - 67mm $205.00 VLC-77 Daylight Filter - 77mm $229.00
They fit on the front of the lens and brings the spectral sensitivity to normal. You just need step up or step down rings so only one is needed to fit all your lenses.

Here
http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/canon.htm

Bert
Old 26-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Suzy_A

Hi Everyone,

a 67 mm B+W 489 UV/IR blocking filter from Mainline in Crows Nest was $179.

Susan
Old 28-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Suzy_A

[QUOTE=EzyStyles]The Baader 2" filters don't fit straight on a lense unless the lense is modded or you will need some sort of adapter to it.
QUOTE]

My B+W 486 filter just turned up today - it's a 58 mm to fit over a lens. To me, it looks the same (and has almost the same specs) as the 2" Baader - only it's bigger. And it cost 30% less.

B+W also do a 48 x 0.75 mm (ie a 2" eyepiece thread) for $105 which is $50 cheaper than the Baader.

The B+W 489 UV/IR filter that turned up last week is quite different - it is an green-tinted absorption filter (but with anti-reflection coating), rather than a multicoated reflection filter like the Baader and the B+W 486.

Maybe if I can get hold of a spectrograph I'll compare them all and post the results.

Susan