Old 14-09-2020, 02:19 PM
AusS2000 (Wayne)

Celestron 8-24mm eyepiece

Interesting in feedback on the Celestron 8-24mm eyepiece. I have the standard 40mm eyepiece that came with the scope and a decent 25mm. The 15mm that came with my Evo 6 has a really small pupil.

If the 8-24 has a decent pupil and eye relief and produces a good image it could be just the thing. If not, I'm probably just wasting my money (again).
Old 14-09-2020, 02:56 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I have one of these, it's okay. I find the eye relief to be reasonable, views are reasonable but, I wouldn't call it a stand out performer.

I mainly used mine on a solar scope & found it useful in not having to faff around changing EPs.

I have used mine for some night time observations but, tend to use my fixed FL eyepieces which are of considerably higher quality (& price tag).

Not a waste of time for the money but, you need to consider your expectations in terms of a budget zoom EP. If you are set on getting a zoom EP for the convenience & want high quality views I'd be looking at the Baader zoom but, they are substantially more expensive...

Cheers
Old 14-09-2020, 04:11 PM
astro744

Exit pupil = eyepiece focal length / telescope focal ratio.

For 15mm eyepiece and f10 telescope, exit pupil =15/10 = 1.5mm

For zoom at 15mm setting it will be the same. May have click stop at 16mm in which case it will be 1.6mm. At 8mm setting exit pupil will be 0.8mm.

Exit pupil determines the brightness of the image. 0.8mm is good for planets giving 187x in your telescope. If the image is too dim for your eyes with 1.5mm exit pupil then it will be even dimmer at 0.8mm. In your telescope 1.5mm exit pupil is 100x magnification.

Note exit pupil also = aperture / magnification.

The only way to get a bigger exit pupil in your telescope is to lower the magnification which is not ideal for planets going below 100x. If you want a bigger exit pupil and higher magnification then you need a larger aperture.
Old 15-09-2020, 01:15 PM
Max Vondel (Peter)
Time Traveller

I had one but ended up selling it as at 24mm it was more like looking through a toilet roll due to its narrow field. Image quality ok.
Mine never got used
I think you are better off with a dedicated EP with the eye relief you need
There are quite a few economy options out there for under $200-
Old 23-12-2020, 07:49 PM
yoda776 (Matt)

I have a 2" version Celestron Deluxe 8 - 24mm zoom. It produces reasonable views but as others have said nothing outstanding in terms of performance. Viewing across the range seemed ok for me. I do understand the choice of a zoom eyepiece as I do enjoy using them (i.e. minimising the swapping in and out of eyepieces so you can concentrate on the view) when I have to pack lighter when the family are also in the car.

Mind you I have been spoilt by a zeiss zoom and leica zoom. I have a Baader, a Televue, A vixen and had a Parks zoom at one point. Baader was a good choice, but the zeiss does trump them all (as well as in cost unfortunately). Opinion on which is better is subjective and depends on the person's eyesight (considering this can differ greatly).

Meade did make a 8-24mm zoom as well - Sirius Optics has one on their site at the moment.

Having said this choosing single focal length eyepieces is likely to produce a better view IMHO, but really depends on what you are viewing and your expectations of what you would like the eyepiece to do.
Old 24-12-2020, 12:17 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusS2000 View Post
Interesting in feedback on the Celestron 8-24mm eyepiece. I have the standard 40mm eyepiece that came with the scope and a decent 25mm. The 15mm that came with my Evo 6 has a really small pupil.

If the 8-24 has a decent pupil and eye relief and produces a good image it could be just the thing. If not, I'm probably just wasting my money (again).
The svbony 8-24 is very good at $102, tested better than Celeste on on CN, just behind baader