Old 27-05-2008, 09:45 AM
PhilW

NGC 5128 (Centaurus A) from city: 25/5

Normally I never bother to try seeing galaxies from my backyard, given that we're only 3-4km from the centre of Melbourne & they're low surface brightness objects. The light pollution just drowns them out. But on Saturday evening it was quite transparent & with NGC 5128 at the zenith, I thought it was worth the hunt.

The outcome was that by pointing my 14" at the exact right spot and moving it, I was just able to spot it with averted vision, including the dark lane. But it was seriously difficult to see, despite being 8th mag. By comparison, it is normally easy in my 9x50 finderscope from a dark sky site. Oh well, at least it can be done (barely).

Eyepiece used was a Pentax XW 10, which has excellent light throughput.
Old 27-05-2008, 10:12 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

That's interesting, Phil. I'm 20km SE of you, which I think is close to the geographical centre of Melbourne now (it's creeping in that direction). I'm sure the skies are brighter where you are, though.

I used to struggle with this one with my 8" and 12" dobs - I found it really hard to pick out, bordering on impossible. I've logged about six observations of this from the same location with my 4" refractor in the past 11 months, and spotted the lane once.
Old 27-05-2008, 10:57 AM
PhilW

I did try in my 4" refractor too - no sign of it. I will concede your refractor has a slight performance advantage over mine though.

Our skies are so bright they can be orange, and I have a streetlight overhanging the back yard too.
Old 27-05-2008, 11:08 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
...and I have a streetlight overhanging the back yard too.
'nuff said!
Old 27-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Karlsson

For another comparison: I'm 19 km NNW of the Sydney CBD, but I can usually see Cen A in my 10x50 bino's, even though it is straight over the Syd light dome (high altitude though). And the one time I aimed my ED80 at it I could just make out the dust lane - just.

Is your light dome brighter than ours...?
Old 27-05-2008, 11:34 AM
PhilW

Well, I lived on Coogee Beach for a few months last year while on a work assignment (I know - tough gig). I was pleasantly surprised by how many naked-eye stars I could see, compared to being back home.

I think it is just the proximity to the CBD that is flooding the sky for me. I have no trouble seeing it from a little further out in the suburbs.
Old 27-05-2008, 11:41 AM
goober (Doug)
No obs, raising Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilW View Post
Well, I lived on Coogee Beach for a few months last year while on a work assignment (I know - tough gig). I was pleasantly surprised by how many naked-eye stars I could see, compared to being back home.

I think it is just the proximity to the CBD that is flooding the sky for me. I have no trouble seeing it from a little further out in the suburbs.
Just out of interest, and heading off topic, what were the skies like in Virginia? Didn't you say you lived there for a while?
Old 27-05-2008, 11:45 AM
PhilW

They were terrible in DC. But if you drove for an hour out of town along the 66 (west of Washington), you could find nice dark sky. Kinda cold in the winter though.
Old 27-05-2008, 05:16 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlsson View Post
For another comparison: I'm 19 km NNW of the Sydney CBD, but I can usually see Cen A in my 10x50 bino's, even though it is straight over the Syd light dome (high altitude though). And the one time I aimed my ED80 at it I could just make out the dust lane - just.

Is your light dome brighter than ours...?
I live 30 km from the CBD but close to a major centre (Parramatta) ..but still I have seen this once with my 11x 70s when it was right overhead

M 104 is a cinch though with any size binos

have never managed the Helix

Narayan
Old 27-05-2008, 06:37 PM
CoombellKid

Looks pretty good in an 8" from dark skies in northern NSW : ) looking
forward to finishing the 16" : )))) also pretty easy with my 20x80's

regards,CS