Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:57 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Arrived Safely in Honolulu

Well the SWMBO and I have arrived safely in Honolulu and wandered down to Waikiki beach. The surf was up, lots of surfers getting into the waves. Nice and warm about 30 degrees. Flight was OK, 10 hours, usual discomforts!
Honolulu airport is still veeeery 70's!!

Pic attached from Waikiki.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_0009.jpg)
194.9 KB128 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0011.jpg)
195.6 KB89 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_0020.jpg)
207.3 KB87 views
Old 02-06-2015, 01:49 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Awesome Malcolm ...it was -7C here in Canberra this morning ..of course that meant clear as a bell last night...full Moon and work night of course

Have a great holiday

Mike
Old 02-06-2015, 02:36 PM
deanm (Dean)

Mal - could you get the phone number of the lass carrying the inflatable ring in photo 1?!

For purely astro-related reasons, of course...!

Dean
Old 02-06-2015, 02:58 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanm View Post
Mal - could you get the phone number of the lass carrying the inflatable ring in photo 1?!

For purely astro-related reasons, of course...!

Dean
Gosh Dean, I hadn't noticed her!! Sorry, cannot think what astro related purpose you would put that phone to?

Malcolm
Old 02-06-2015, 03:33 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Honolulu airport is still veeeery 70's!!
If you're heading to Big Island, go via Kona airport. It's a little village, with hula dancers and all.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

Quote:
Well the SWMBO and I have arrived safely in Honolulu
Malcolm
Were you expecting another outcome apart from arriving safely? You make it out as though you had rowed there from Australia
Old 03-06-2015, 02:43 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTrooper View Post
If you're heading to Big Island, go via Kona airport. It's a little village, with hula dancers and all.
Kona is probably my favorite airport in the world, really nice and casual.

Malcolm
Old 03-06-2015, 03:25 PM
hobbit

Amazing place. Looks like you're about two blocks away from where I stayed. I have no complaints about honolulu airport at all. Most laid back airport i've ever been to.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:56 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Kona is probably my favorite airport in the world, really nice and casual.

Malcolm
Agree totally. When I realised that there was still something in my water bottle, the guy actually joked with me.
Poles apart from the mean stares and gorilla attitudes in Honolulu of the airport security staff.
Body scanner guy: "push your tray through the carry on xray and come over here."
Carry on xray guy: "why did you push your tray, now you've jammed it."

There seems to be some sort of personality, communication and intelligence test that you must fail before being allowed to work there.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM
hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTrooper View Post
Agree totally. When I realised that there was still something in my water bottle, the guy actually joked with me.
Poles apart from the mean stares and gorilla attitudes in Honolulu of the airport security staff.
Body scanner guy: "push your tray through the carry on xray and come over here."
Carry on xray guy: "why did you push your tray, now you've jammed it."

There seems to be some sort of personality, communication and intelligence test that you must fail before being allowed to work there.
Ben, I'm quite surprised to read this. I had a great experience with honolulu security. They had no problem hand checking 10 boxes of film and stopping to chat about my "awesome retro" camera. They were by far the most pleasurable i've ever dealt with.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

I'm sooooooo jealous enjoy your trip Malcolm
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Nothing much has changed since 1975 when I was there.....

Great place thou'.... Whatever you do, don't go down ' Hotel Street ' ...you'll get ' ripped off ' by the locals.

I was 19 then ( at Hickman US Airbase .. right next to Honolulu ) ... got conned into paying $50.00 ( using my American Express Travelers Cheques ) for a ' phony ' bottle of Champers.

But I was single and silly then....

Never forgot it.

Enjoy yourself anyway

Col....
Old 11-06-2015, 07:54 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Col
Honolulu is pretty much just a big city by a beach, Waikiki is like the Gold Coast on steroids, fun but few days is enough! And yes it is very easy to get ripped off if you are not at least a little bit careful. But there are some good things to do, Snorkelling at Hanauma bay, hiking up Diamond Head and visiting Manoa Falls are all easy to do and cheap as you can use public transport.
The other islands are a lot more relaxed, we have had 3 days on Maui doing the sunrise at Haleakala and driving the Road to Hana and we are now on the Big Island having done some more snorkelling and Volcano tour yesterday. I love the Big Island!!

Malcolm
Old 11-06-2015, 07:59 AM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Looks like you are having a ball there Malcolm. My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt Waikiki (which is that hexagonal building in photo 2 I think!) in 2001, great views to the beach but the room stank of cigarette smoke (they had smoking or non smoking rooms but didn't make any difference).
Have you done the tour of Pearl Habour yet?
Bo
Old 11-06-2015, 10:22 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Glad your having a good time there....forgot to tell you..take a trip ( if you can ) to Pearl Harbour .... see USS Arizona still in the water...I believe they do day trips on her now.... and the ' History ' Lesson about her....
Lot of boys lost their lives there...RIP.

Would I go back there .... sure would ...

Col....
Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbit View Post
Ben, I'm quite surprised to read this. I had a great experience with honolulu security. They had no problem hand checking 10 boxes of film and stopping to chat about my "awesome retro" camera. They were by far the most pleasurable i've ever dealt with.
It may well just be the particular staff that you encounter on any given day. I'm glad to hear you're encounter with them was a good one.
I will say that customer service in Hawaii is generally far better than in Australia. Restaurant and shop staff will usually bend over backwards to help you. I really wish we had tipping in Australia. There would likely be a quick attitude adjustment when people realised that their income depended on it.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:39 AM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Col
Honolulu is pretty much just a big city by a beach, Waikiki is like the Gold Coast on steroids, fun but few days is enough! And yes it is very easy to get ripped off if you are not at least a little bit careful. But there are some good things to do, Snorkelling at Hanauma bay, hiking up Diamond Head and visiting Manoa Falls are all easy to do and cheap as you can use public transport.
The other islands are a lot more relaxed, we have had 3 days on Maui doing the sunrise at Haleakala and driving the Road to Hana and we are now on the Big Island having done some more snorkelling and Volcano tour yesterday. I love the Big Island!!

Malcolm
Agree totally.

Waikiki is ok, but the prices are horrendous. Big island is far cheaper, there's heaps do see and do, and there are no crowds to dodge.
Old 14-06-2015, 11:31 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Well we have arrived safely back in Oz! Very hassle free trip, as others have mentioned, Hawaii is one place you get very good service nearly everywhere, and almost always very friendly. Even the public bus drivers were great, if you asked them they would let you know when your stop was coming up!
This visit confirmed my previous opinion from my visit in 2012 that the Big Island is possibly my favorite place in the world to visit.

Malcolm
Old 15-06-2015, 01:06 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Well we have arrived safely back in Oz! Very hassle free trip, as others have mentioned, Hawaii is one place you get very good service nearly everywhere, and almost always very friendly. Even the public bus drivers were great, if you asked them they would let you know when your stop was coming up!
This visit confirmed my previous opinion from my visit in 2012 that the Big Island is possibly my favorite place in the world to visit.

Malcolm
Yeah, The Bus was really good. Cheap too.
Did you remember to bring your jumper each time?