Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

My rant for Today

I recently purchase back a TEC160FL. Today I noticed technicians replacing the street light across the road....now I have illumination washing out my view of the eastern sky and section to the south, I reckon the illumination spans 70M. The previous light was one of the low illuminating yellow light and tolerable but this new street light would give the Vic Pol Air Helicopter spotlight a run for its money. It is the only one they replaced in the street, the previous one was functioning.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Sorry to hear.

H
Old 11-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Sorry to hear.

H
Thanks H...but I think you have had a worse bit of luck..hope you are recovering well.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:30 PM
raymo

Most councils do have fittings they can attach to street lights to minimise
such problems. I think you have to pay for it though.
raymo
Old 11-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Most councils do have fittings they can attach to street lights to minimise
such problems. I think you have to pay for it though.
raymo
Thanks Raymo for the suggestion. I am just bemused by the logic of replacing one functional street light, in the whole street, with something so bright. I knew I was going to pay for purchasing astronomical gear but I thought it might have been something less permanent..like cloud or rain for a week. One plus is that I rent...I could move...but that is a pain.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Not good Hans

The logic of councils???

One of the world's great mysteries.
Old 13-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Spoke too soon..they have now changed out all the old mercury vapour lights in the street with these new LED technology ones...my god they churn out the photons sort of feels like the main strip in Las Vegas...ok thats an exaggeration.

Do you think sending a sarcastic thankyou letter/e-mail to the councillor responsible for the program would help...but then I guess I am being selfish here.... the new LED lights offer improved visibility and greater uniformity of light across and along the street, thereby improving public safety..whilst producing a significant amount of light pollution.
Old 13-06-2015, 01:58 PM
BilliGoatsGruff (Billi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post

Do you think sending a sarcastic thankyou letter/e-mail to the councillor responsible for the program would help..
They would probably miss the sarcasm and just assume that you're actually really pleased with what they've done .
Old 13-06-2015, 03:30 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

We live under the misconception that more light on the street improves safety... What about sleep? You shouldn't have to buy blackout curtains to darken your bedroom.

DT
Old 13-06-2015, 03:44 PM
raymo

One benefit [for the council] is that they cost less to run.
I have my master bedroom blacked out, as I have a street light
just 4 metres from my window.I must go and see if I can get mine
modified.
raymo
Old 13-06-2015, 03:47 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Get your own back.

Try getting a red laser and confusing the sensor. There's a thread here with a clip that describes the process. What a great idea!
Old 13-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

I wish they wouldn't waste light to the atmosphere, and install some down-light shades. Or have the things made that way. It would illuminate the streets better. So often street lights are virtually useless because of the wide angle of spread.
Old 14-06-2015, 09:50 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Could be worst. You could live in Sydney's West. The eastern sky is so appalling you may as well stare into your own red light torch. Because you can see about as many stars, especially on a night with no wind, which allows moisture and crap to build up. The sky turns into a light brownish haze.
Old 14-06-2015, 10:05 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Sorry to hear of the lighting upgrade Hans.
Yes, councils all over Victoria are upgrading the old mercury vapour lamps with LED lamps, they have greater light output (and dont we know it!) but costs about 20-25% of electricity to run. My council spent about $5 million over two years to roll out the LED lights, but they a paid back in less than 5 years.
I recently had lights changed in my street, at least the house blocks out most of the light...
Old 14-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
Sorry to hear of the lighting upgrade Hans.
Yes, councils all over Victoria are upgrading the old mercury vapour lamps with LED lamps, they have greater light output (and dont we know it!) but costs about 20-25% of electricity to run. My council spent about $5 million over two years to roll out the LED lights, but they a paid back in less than 5 years.
I recently had lights changed in my street, at least the house blocks out most of the light...
A few points.
I would have thought the priority would be to change out the lights on the major roads rather than smaller less used suburban streets. Surely somewhere in the world someone has designed a street light that doesn't flood the entire street with the ridiculous amount of light that these LED lights put out...is it really needed in terms of safety when the luminance provided by the old mercury vapour lights seem to suffice.
Old 14-06-2015, 11:12 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

Major roads are owned by vic roads (in Victoria), and suburban streets are owned by councils. The electricity networks own the infrastructure (poles and wires and lights) but users (council or vic roads) pay for the electricity.
So the councils are effectively changing the lights on behalf of the electricity networks (the money is split with federal govt in the case of my council) but they get the benefits of lowered electricity bills in the long run.
The new LED units also don't have heavy metals (mercury) so are easier to dispose of later.
hope that helps.
Bo