Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 11-08-2019, 07:13 PM
glend (Glen)

Is there an Electric Car in your future?

Do you own an electric car, or plan to buy one in the next couple of years?

Is or was the decision to buy a price sensitive one, or you didn't care?

Can it function as your only vehicle, given the limited range?

Do you believe the federal gov't should waive GST on EVs, or provide a subsidy as the UK is providing?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Doing the Tabby trip probably would take a while.
I like the idea but range could be an issue.
Until they, whoever they are..do something to curb ridiculous waste in the car toy game..racing, tractor pulling, drag racing etc etc we are mugs to try and do our little bit to save the planet. Get rid of the w16 quad turbo charged 4000 HP cars before I take electric seriously.
Alex
Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Snap, crackle and pop...

https://www.rt.com/russia/466247-tes...oscow-injured/
Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
It's not just the Tesla that's the problem here. Once again, Soviet driving is down to its usual standard where road rules are just a minor suggestion.
According to more detailed reports, the Tesla driver smashed into another car waiting to be loaded onto a tow truck.

https://sputniknews.com/society/2019...ion-in-moscow/

https://www.tellerreport.com/news/20...BkEubHaXB.html
Old 11-08-2019, 07:55 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
It's not just the Tesla that's the problem here. Once again, Soviet driving is down to its usual standard where road rules are just a minor suggestion.
According to more detailed reports, the Tesla driver smashed into another car waiting to be loaded onto a tow truck.

And really folks, I am not talking about "auto pilot" type functionality, which is a different subject entirely.
Let's assume a driver is in full control for the purposes of this thread.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:05 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post

Maybe, maybe not. LOTS of others from USA, UK etc

https://www.autopilotreview.com/tesl...idents-causes/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradtem.../#72d1d9082f2e

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-mountain-view

And for fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Lg-PL1qY0
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I really laugh when the UK government says NO MORE diesel cars or petrol in 10-20 years, ok then

1. How are millions of people going to afford a NEW car, I bought mine new in 2006 and could not afford a new car now
2. Used.... who will be the first to buy old used electric cars, with short non guaranteed battery life, and no guarantees on the actual batteries
3. The first, second, third even fifth and so on generations will all come and go and be crap, sorry, when do you buy
4. There will be no bans on older cars, petrol and diesel, so petrol and diesel will still be available to buy, after all, are we all going to scrap out motorbikes, lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, boats, what about railways, cruise liners

Last edited by Ukastronomer; 22-08-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:22 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
I really laugh when the UK government says NO MORE diesel cars or petrol in 10-20 years, ok then

1. How are millions of people going to afford a NEW car, I bought mine new in 2006 and could not afford a new car now
2. Used.... who will be the first to buy old used electric cars, with short non guaranteed battery life, and no guarantees on the actual batteries
3. The first, second, third even fifth and so on generations will all come and go and be crap, sorry, when do you buy
4. There will be no bans on older cars, petrol and diesel, so petrol and diesel will still be available to buy, after all, are we all going to scrap out motorbikes, lawn mowers, hedge trimmers, boats, what about railways, cruise liners
What no more of this....
https://youtu.be/cqYvDQttcvo

Alex
Old 11-08-2019, 08:24 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Do you own an electric car, or plan to buy one in the next couple of years?
No chance. No drivers licence, and I've not driven a car since July 1995.
The only way I'd get to ride in an EV is if one was a taxi.

Quote:
Can it function as your only vehicle, given the limited range?
With how short their range is, right off the bat, would an EV be able to be used as a taxi, considering how many KM they do every day?
With how short battery life is, and how heavy a daily workload a taxi has to do, could you see a taxi EV managing even half the distance it could do new, 5 years after purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Doing the Tabby trip probably would take a while.
I like the idea but range could be an issue.
Range new is less of an issue, than range 5 years after purchase. Battery degradation from simple age.
Everyone is whinging about short range when new. Some folks are grumbling about battery lifespans.
I don't think many folks are attempting to tie those two together to try to look at what will happen years after purchase. Shorter and shorter distances that their EV will be able to do. Now map that onto Australian inter-capital distances. Not going to work long term, without a new battery that doesn't degrade over time.
For the foreseeable future, at least, long distance driving will remain the preserve of ICE.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:29 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
What no more of this....
Hopefully, yes.
No more of that wastefoolness.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I suppose one could go for five electric motors and replace this

https://youtu.be/iWdKpC2Is8Q

Stop thinking what you or I can do let's think what could these clowns could do...all we save is wasted with their nonsense..talk about being in a boat bailing water and some cool is there drilling holes...

If I did not have to travel back and forth I would love an electric car...covered in solar panels so when I went shopping once every two weeks or three weeks it would be charged right to go such that I could take up another hobby to use the time I save going to get petrol.

It is a pity that folk can't stop wringing their hands and wondering how to save the planet when the greedy irresponsible little boys playing trucks and cars won't grow up...what really is wrong with them.

Drag racing ..over in a couple of heart beats to waste resources... interestingly a decent engineered electric car should be able to out gun peterol or ethanol but they just do not go ..brooom brooom...hardley masculine ...now if electric cars made big broom brooom we could see them gain popularity with the boys waiting to grow up.

Alex
Old 11-08-2019, 08:58 PM
DuaneDibbley (Phil)

Definitely keen on an electric car in the future. I live and work in different cities and even the more modestly ranged current EV's will do me a few days commute at a time.

VW's ID when it launches will be very interesting to me.

I think Telsa is going to disappear or be bought by some other existing brand in the medium term. I don't believe they can maintain their current status quo when they have multiple competitors.

Motorsport is hardly a dent in the total emissions from ICE vehicles and really not worth attacking. If you really want to make a difference we'd be stopping meat farming not worrying about drag races.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:28 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Hi Phil
Well I think motor Sport is worth attacking if hypocracy is high on your hate list.

And before I wrote off motor Sport as inconsequential I first would like to know some figures. ...but I am guessing the carbon footprint would not be insignificant ..it's not only the fuel but the energy that goes into producing each vehicle and the high maintenance such as tyres....think of how many tyres a V8 Super car uses in a single outing for example then think of the coal that is burnt to supply the electricity for just that one item..I can't believe motor Sport is of no consequence..and frankly I think we could be tolerant of the methane due to cows given that it is somewhat related to production of food and therefore somewhat a necessity.

I don't think I will be accepting drag racing and changing to eating..er what exactly...what more efficient way of producing protein than cattle..maybe some sort of grain I guess with the land being dug by hand rather than tractors.

I do think although one can casually dismiss tractor pulling drag racing car racing boat racing plane racing etc and perhaps mega yatchs as simply too small a contribution to be meaningful I do think some focus on the wastefulness of resources would be sensible before expecting the mob to accept changes without out addressing such waste ...it is hypocritical and could be addressed for such hypocracy if for no other reason.

I find it extrodinary that you could suggest we perhaps should focus on removing a food source before plugging other holes in the boat.
Once we have eliminated the waste that is motor sport and waste generally sure we can move onto working out a more effective way of producing protein.. but in my book not before.
Alex
Old 11-08-2019, 09:39 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post

Normally, when these "no more X cars in Y years" statements come out, they mean no more NEW cars with that feature.

For pt 1, a quick google shows the average fleet age in the UK is about 7.7 years, so 10 to 20 years sounds fine. Even with that figure, only one third of the fleet is over 10 years old.

I do think we may have some crunch issues with batteries, (re)charging times and lifecycles, but I expect that these will be dealt with as the market grows. One thing I hope we get right this time, since theoretically we are more enlightened is that we will put in place better procedures to handle the inevitable waste involved.

There may not need to be bans put in place for the ICE vehicles, because eventually they will become not economical to run or maintain, especially when ICE infrastructure starts "closing down", e.g. less service stations, less repair shops for ICE, etc.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:49 PM
raymo

This thread is pretty much impossible to meaningfully contribute to.
There are so many actual known facts, ignored facts, opinions, prejudices,
and just plain wrong "facts" to weigh up, that I would need to write a book.
Firstly; they are coming, no matter what the hoi polloi think or want; in fact they are present in large numbers in a number of countries and individual cities already. In China for example, over a million electric vehicles are now on the roads, and in Beijing petrol scooters are now illegal, and 20% of cars are electric. Obviously in that country the government can pretty much do as it likes. In Europe last year the biggest selling large van was electric.
Range is rapidly becoming less of a problem, and within three or four years
many electric cars will have range comparable to petrol cars; a few already have, although they are pricey.
Many people are unaware that here in Oz the longest gap between charging stations on bitumen routes is 150 kays and becoming less by the day, and charging is becoming quicker and quicker.
The much cheaper and less frequent servicing will make the punters happy.
The owners of WRXs, HSVs, Stingers etc: will very quickly get tired of
being overtaken by ordinary sedans with no fuss at all. [not all of them are that fast of course]
JeniSkunk, you are quite wrong, just about all of the heavy haulage truck manufacturers have electric models doing extensive testing with prospective buyers, especially in the U.S. I don't remember offhand which company it is, but they have just put their foot in the water by ordering
25 electric interstate haulage trucks[they have an 1100 km range]. Large trucks are especially suitable for electrification as they require much less power because electric motors put out full torque as soon as they are switched on' They kill diesel trucks for acceleration and max. climbable gradient.
The latest fast chargers are giving an 85% charge in 12 minutes, just enough time to pick up a coffee. Battery degradation is not that significant,
and is reducing as battery technology improves. In any case what is the difference between buying an old electric car with not a lot of battery life left, and buying an old clunker with a high mileage engine that burns oil
and puts that burnt oil into the atmosphere?
Just a few points that the members can discuss if they wish.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 11-08-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: more text
Old 11-08-2019, 11:28 PM
glend (Glen)

Hyundai is offering an 8 year or 160000km battery warranty on its Electric Vehicles sold in Australia. And based on the various Utube videos on how to build your own Lithium Ion battery out of Samsung 18650 4V cells, I imagine EV owners will be hacking their own replacement batteries in time - like Ebike owners are doing now. My Leitner ebike battery is built of 18650 cells. You can even build PowerWall type batteries for home out of 18650 cells. There is a company called Vruzend that makes Lego like connector blocks and jumper straps to connect individual cells together, you just need a cheap BMS circuit connected to it.

https://youtu.be/rylbFnTgFI8

Most large Lithium Ion batteries are just plastic cases full of 18650 cells tied together.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:29 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
What no more of this....
https://youtu.be/cqYvDQttcvo

Alex
Can't you see, they ARE the batteries he is towing
Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

IF............ IF/when they have a car that is affordable, does 500 miles as mine does on a tank of diesel, is as large as my grand Scenic and can be charged in 5 minutes I would jump at it
Old 11-08-2019, 11:57 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

I have a Tesla Model 3 on order.
620km long range version.
With 8.6kw of PV on my roof it means running costs are basically tyres, pads, rego, insurance.

Not too keen to paying the likes of Chevron, Royal Dutch Shell & BP etc. any more to bugger-up the atmosphere.

BTW anybody watch Attenborough on the ABC tonight? Step up people.

Reduce your CO2 footprint. Too many species are extinct already.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
I have a Tesla Model 3 on order.
620km long range version.
With 8.6kw of PV on my roof it means running costs are basically tyres, pads, rego, insurance.

Not too keen to paying the likes of Chevron, Royal Dutch Shell & BP etc. any more to bugger-up the atmosphere.

BTW anybody watch Attenborough on the ABC tonight? Step up people.

Reduce your CO2 footprint. Too many species are extinct already.
No disrespect but from all the reports I have read and viewed judging from their after sales service when the guarantee has run out............ good luck

Oh and you can't make a sweeping statement like " Step up people. " unless you know what others are or are not doing, perhaps it should be "step up governments especially 3rd world"