ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Becstar (Rebecca)
Amatuer on a tight budget

Hi everyone

New sign up from the Newborough/Moe area in Gippsland Victoria. Female, 38. Amatuer with a small telescope and a Fuji Finepix 30x zoom camera. Mostly interested in solar photography. I'm waiting on an attachment on order to arrive to attach my camera to my telescope.

Have done some very basic solar photography with the finepix on full zoom with solar film.

Am really strapped for cash but looking forward to becoming a part of this community and sharing ideas for astrophotography on a budget!

Very excited about the opposition of Saturn at the moment and the upcoming transition of Venus across the sun.

Hi! *waves*
Old 17-04-2012, 03:54 PM
omegacrux (David)

Hi Becstar
I think everyone is waiting for the transit of Venus don't know what day if falls on but I'm not going to work if its a weekday !
Enjoy your stay and don't hesitate to ask I do
David
Old 17-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi BecStar,

There is so much to learn and a lot of people on IIS willing to share their knowledge.

It looks like you are close to Geelong. The Transit of Venus will start approx EST 8:16am and end approx 2:45pm, Wednesday 6th June 2012. We don't do day light saving in Qld because our curtains will fade, so take DLS into account if it is in play. If you don't already have some, maybe buy a sheet of Baader Solar Film (Visual 5.0), make a solar cell and you can watch this through your scope in safety.
Old 17-04-2012, 05:05 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi Becstar
Astroimaging is often though of as a money pit, and for deep space stuff it usually is, but lots of things can be done on a budget, star trails, widefield, planetary, lunar and solar.
What sort of scope do you have?

Oh and .... Welcome to IIS!!

Malcolm
Old 17-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Becstar (Rebecca)
Amatuer on a tight budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Hi BecStar,

There is so much to learn and a lot of people on IIS willing to share their knowledge.

It looks like you are close to Geelong. The Transit of Venus will start approx EST 8:16am and end approx 2:45pm, Wednesday 6th June 2012. We don't do day light saving in Qld because our curtains will fade, so take DLS into account if it is in play. If you don't already have some, maybe buy a sheet of Baader Solar Film (Visual 5.0), make a solar cell and you can watch this through your scope in safety.

For a moment there, when you said 'IIS', I read it as ISS and I marvelled at the fact you guys are in direct contact with the International Space Station. Don't mind me. I'm having a dumb day....
Old 17-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Forgey (Paula)

Hi Becstar,
Welcome to IIS, I myself am eagerly awaiting the upcoming transit of Venus. I have even booked in for a flex day off work.
Old 17-04-2012, 05:46 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hey Becstar, Welcome to IIS
Old 17-04-2012, 06:11 PM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Welcome to iis Becstar, lol most of us are strapped for cash but its crazy what you can pull off on a tight budget and DIY. There's a ton of great resources on this site from the projects and articles to the ATM&DIY sections of the forums.