Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Thiink

Equipment opninions sort (and hello)

Hi board,

I am wanting some opinions on what sort of telescope I should buy, and what options to get and hoping some people here can add their input. I am your typical long time interest (since I was a little fella), first time buyer type of person.. hopefully one whom doesn't appear too ignorant in the eyes of the am-pro's like yourselves!

A few weeks ago my interest changed; at first I was looking to get a 6" newt/dob after reading up on a few overseas websites, and then your great forums after I found them. My original interest was in viewing the moon and local planets, so I thought the 6" should be portable enough to help me along with that, so was set on getting a GS 6" from Andrews (thanks again to these forums). However after a visit last weekend to my local observatory things have changed. After spending a mere 30mins or so looking at DSO's (47 tucana, small/large magellanic clouds etc) everything changed, the planets seemed impressive, but nowhere near as impressive as what I was seeing through the 14" Celestron!

What I want to know is; is there a half-affordable (possibly less than $1k) telescope that exists in Australia that I can use from my backyard that would give even half as impressive a view as what I saw through the observatory scope from my back yard, which suffers from trees, two street lights and neighbouring houses (if only it was out of town like the observatory!). If not would such items be viewable (or worth viewing) with an 8" dob (or maybe even a 10" if they are half transportable)? I almost have the funds to buy an 8" GS dob at the moment, but if its worth spending more now to buy something more appropriate I am willing to wait (or grab a small loan to get it now ). Astrophotography(/tracking) is an interest, but not essential (hence the dob's ).

Thank you.

ps. it appears to get asked alot, so if you are interested in how I found the forums; I saw a link here from another forum (which I cant remember, I found it when googling for information!). I have noticed though that its hard to get any reference to iceinspace from google no matter what keywords I use (even using keywords specified in main pages meta tags!). Maybe I wasnt trying hard enough.
Old 17-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

How transportable a scope is will depend on what car you currently have.

For most people the 10 inch GSO is as big as can be transported in your average sedan. The main tube of mine fits nicely across the back seat.
The 10 incher is big enough to show 1000's of objects well and is definately a seriously capable scope and not a toy.

For a 12 incher you would need a station wagon or van.

If you get one its well worth investing in a cheap trolly with pneumatic tires for moving it around. I got one for $35 and its well worth it.

Last edited by Starkler; 17-02-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 17-02-2005, 05:48 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Welcome aboard Thiink. Where to start? I/we recommend the smallest aperture is an 8" Dob. It all depends on what you can afford, size of car, etc etc. The 1st rule is *APERTURE WINS*, but this comes at a cost. You will be happy with an 8"/10", until aperture fever hits. The main thing to do, is to get away from the %#^%&*%#@+(&#,, street lights etc . You must have a RED LED torch tho. & a planisphere is also helpful for finding your way around, and get a copy of ASTRONOMY 2005.
The others will point out more options. I'm not up with the GS Dobs.
I'm happy with my Meade 10".
ps. you mentioned the Bathurst Observatory. Why not ask if there is a local club/society and look at their t'scopes to get a better idea?

Last edited by RAJAH235; 17-02-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 17-02-2005, 06:01 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Welcome Thiink,

There is such a vast assortment of scopes available and quite often it is up to individual taste.

Some people are Dob nuts (yay!), some are EQ reflector, some are refractor freaks. All are different and all are special. I have all 3 but prefer my 12" dob, mainly because it's 12".

Others will swear by CAT's.

The best thing to do is look through as many scopes as possible within a chosen price range and portability, and decide that way.

It's no good looking through a $5000 Schmitt-Cassegrain, love it, and expect to get a similiar view with a $1200 version Maksutov (similiar to Schmitt-Cass). An 8" - 10" dob is probably a good way to start if you can transport them. A 12" is much harder to transport (size, not weight).

But you may find a very good Refractor for about $1000.

The choice can be endless!
Ask more questions and we can try give assistance.

Good luck.
Old 17-02-2005, 06:05 PM
gbeal

For your stated budget, I feel the 10" dob is the way to go. I can think of a few forum members that have them, me included. If your budget, and transport allows the 12" will be better, but 10" is OK. The thing to remember is that the best scope is the one you use the most, and if you can't get the 12"/14"/bigger one out and about then you won't use it.
In the first instance, try a 10" or so, and work out where to from there. It will be difficult (nearly said impossible, but Mike/Ice has proven me wrong) to conduct astrophotograpy with a dob, but this can grab you later.
Enjoy the sky, try to observe with others around you and figure what is best, but don't expect to make the correct decision first time, it will take a few differing scopes, and also the goal posts will shift as you learn what you want from the hobby. It is a great hobby though, so even the humble 6" will serve you well.
Gary
Old 17-02-2005, 07:45 PM
westsky

Hi Thiink,
As the others have said the 10" GSO dob is a great scope, used in your light polluted back yard it will still give good views of most DSO's
not quite to the 14" Celestron at a dark sky site standard but enough to keep you interested
If you can afford the 12" and can transport it, go for it .
cheers
David.
Old 17-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Thiink

Thanks for all the welcomes.

Actually the 10" dob seems like a good median between size and transportability. I can always make the ultimate decision when I go down and visit Andrews in Sydney, if the 10" is too big the 8" will have to do. The backyard problem can be sorted out too once I have something; if the backyard is no good I have a nice site not too far away by car. I can get my woodworking-wizard dad to help me build some form of transport box to help move it around (car is a 2001 SS Commodore so a 10" should fit in the back seat easy enough). The photography stuff can wait until Ive seen it all plenty of times myself.

I have an email from Andrews saying that the 8" is only $399 (website says $449), hopefully the 10" is less than the $799 it says on the website.

ps. I dont expect what ever I buy to be as good as the Celestron at the observatory, I meant if its half as good I will be more than happy!
Old 17-02-2005, 08:36 PM
MiG

I got the 10" with rack and pinion focuser and BK7 mirror for $649 from Andrew's
Old 17-02-2005, 09:50 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Thiink, for a bit more info. go to *universetoday.com* You can subscribe to their emailed daily news letter if you like.
Old 18-02-2005, 12:06 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I measured the Corolla, and the 12" will fit! Only leaves room for one passenger behind the driver, but it does fit!!! Fold down back and front seats or better ... rip them out. Gotta get me a 12"!

Thiink, if you're really after anything close to the views through the 14", you should probably get the 12" GSO Dob. You can probably get a highly portable 6" Dob at the same time for an extra $200 or maybe less... Just shop around!; you'll be surprised at the bargains to be had.
Old 18-02-2005, 12:19 AM
thomo
Meh

Quote:
Originally posted by janoskiss
I measured the Corolla, and the 12" will fit! Only leaves room for one passenger behind the driver, but it does fit!!! Fold down back and front seats or better ... rip them out. Gotta get me a 12"!
I've measured my Corolla too (with the backseat down) and the 12" would be a comfortable fit.

Now if only I can get my cashflow in order... Bloody bills all at the start of the year!
Old 18-02-2005, 12:19 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Thiink,

think (no pun intended) about the 14" celestron you looked through. I gather that it was a SCT (Cassegrain). At the front end is a large secondary obstruction. When taking this obstruction into account you may find that a 10" or 12" dob may actually give as much light collecting power, or very near, for a lot less money.
Old 18-02-2005, 03:38 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Looks like we are all going into a 12" frenzy!
Old 18-02-2005, 06:10 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Thiink, and all that!

As for scope, the others have offered the same advice that I would.. I've got the 10" which is a great middle ground for portabiliy and aperture. Much easier to transport and lug around, but still a healthy 10 inches of aperture.

Beware, the 12" will be mistaken for a hot-water heater by friends and family.. Don't let them look for the pilot-lighter

Quote:
ps. it appears to get asked alot, so if you are interested in how I found the forums; I saw a link here from another forum (which I cant remember, I found it when googling for information!). I have noticed though that its hard to get any reference to iceinspace from google no matter what keywords I use (even using keywords specified in main pages meta tags!). Maybe I wasnt trying hard enough.
I'm working on it :/ The main problem is that it's not a .com.au domain, so if people do an Australia only search, they'll only find the site through the links in my signature on other forums (like astronomyonline).

A lot of people are getting search hits on the site through the GSO eyepiece reviews (need to add more reviews!) or by searching simply for the name "iceinspace", but the best way to get hits in google is by your rank increasing, and the best way to do that is to simply have your site linked from more other sites.

So if you've got a site, add a link!
Old 18-02-2005, 08:51 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Aperture rules BUT only if ou use it!!

I have been tempted to get a bigger scope several times but have resisted. The 8" is easy to transpot and carry out into the backyard for a quick look or for a long session. It is no "little" brother to the larger scopes so don't get too carried away with the aperture rules rule - you have to use it.

Thiink is from Bathurst - lots of dark skys. The reason I am building a 6" - not a 10" or bigger - travel scope is the dark skies I encounter at Narrabri, where I travel to often, would probably be similar to those at Bathurst.

My point - don't discount the 8" just because the 12" is cheap enough to buy. Its a great scope, I use mine at Linden Observatory which has beautiful views of Sydney with the light pollution attached and can still pick out heaps of DSOs. When you take it to a truely dark site it really blows you away.

Remember, you have to be able to use it regularly.

Cheers
Old 18-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Thiink

You guys are no help, youre just adding more options! I don't mind the idea of a 10", but now the idea of a 12" with options to buy a travel scope down the track seems appealing. Does anyone happen to know the dimensions of the 10" and 12" GS's by chance? The Guan Sheng site is no help! Im looking forward to getting something, theres been plenty of clear skys in the last few weeks but nothing to point at stuff.

rmcpb: I noticed you are in the Blue Mountains; where abouts (if you dont mind)? Is there anyone else west of (or in) the mountains?

iceman: I completely overlooked that! Is there any chance of people donating some money towards getting a second .au domain (anyone with an ABN? ). edit: Whoops I should have done a search.

ps. I just hope my girlfriend realises we are talking about telescopes if she happens to read over my shoulder, the current discussion could be taken.. well ouf of context. *cough*

Last edited by Thiink; 18-02-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 18-02-2005, 10:31 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

The 10" from memory is about 1.2 to 1.4 metres long (the tube). I'll measure the tube and base when I get home, but someone else might be able to post dimensions sooner. At a guess, i'd say the base is about 70-80cm in diameter.

Quote:
iceman: I completely overlooked that! Is there any chance of people donating some money towards getting a second .au domain (anyone with an ABN? ). edit: Whoops I should have done a search.
I was just about to post a link to that thread

A few people have offered support in the way of a donation, thanks for the thought. I'm still weighing up my options.
Old 18-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Lots of information including dimensions here

http://www.telescope-service.com/dob...iansstart.html
Old 18-02-2005, 11:00 AM
vindictive666 (John)
KeyboardNotFndPressAnyKey

Hi Thiink

welcome

try this link itll give you a guide to the dimesions you are after

http://www.telescope-service.de/dobs...iansstart.html