Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-03-2012, 12:04 PM
mabs (Andrew)

Saxon 1025AT Refracting Telescope

Hi,

I am currently looking at buying a starter telescope. I was recently given some vouchers from work for the wishlist.com.au website and noticed they have a Saxon 1025 AT telescope (which I could get for free with these vouchers)

http://www.wishlist.com.au/Product/P...p?SKUID=138036

I have searched google to the limits but can't find any real reviews.

1) Has anyone heard anything about this telescope?
2) Of the more experienced of you, does it look like a reasonable telescope?
3) Looks the same as the Skywatcher 1025AZ3 telescope. What are peoples thoughts on this?

Anything info that people could send through would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 13-03-2012, 09:28 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

And hi Andrew . You could do a lot worse for a first telescope than this , and yes its the same scope as the skywatcher , just a different paint job .
These are all made by Synta in china and the build is very good for the money . One thing , being only an f/5 at 510mm ( meaning the focal length is 5x longer than the diameter of the main lense , 102mm x 5 = 510mm focal length ) it will be awsome at deep sky and reasonable on the moon and planets .
If the price is right , go for it mate and enjoy .
Brian.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:26 AM
mabs (Andrew)

Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for your advice.

Being a novice I am yet to understand what you can do to the telescope to improve the quality of moon and planet observation. Will different eyepieces improve this?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 14-03-2012, 08:32 PM

Hi again Andrew , the secret is dont try to high magnifation , thats a myth , I only ever go to 200-250x on a really good night using my 127mm APO .
The secret is dont listen to magnifaction as a selling point , eg. 675x .. that sort of power is never used even by the largest scopes , as you will be magnifying the turbulence in the atmosphere 675x as well .. geeks ! . thats like viewing thru 2 metres of clear fast running water , all over the place and very blurry .
For your scope a 20-25mm plossel , at around 25x for low power deep sky ( where a 102 f/5 will be at its best ) and a 7.5-10mm giving 50-60x for higher powers on the moon and planets and if you want a 2x barlow to double these powers . Most newbies dont realise that 80-150x is higher power viewing and gives the best compromise .
Let us know what you decide.
Brian.
Old 16-03-2012, 01:33 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Andrew,
I have the Skywatcher version of this scope and it's a little ripper! I love it.

What Brian says is spot on. I got it as a 'grab and go' scope and have it mounted on my 6" refractor as a wide field viewer. It's not that great on the moon and planets, lots of chromatic aberration, which makes puts a purple haze over the view but great on stars etc.
hope that helps, Matt
Old 17-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Thanks Matt , When I started out in stargazing many years ago ,,,,,with a pair of 8x40 bino's I would have given my left arm for a 102mm refractor , short or long focus , it does not matter , its what the scope is good at , and these Synta made scopes are very good , . My ED 80 is tribute to that .
Hope your ears are on there , Andrew , enjoy your beauty. .the night sky is free ...
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattT View Post
Hi Andrew,
I have the Skywatcher version of this scope and it's a little ripper! I love it.

What Brian says is spot on. I got it as a 'grab and go' scope and have it mounted on my 6" refractor as a wide field viewer. It's not that great on the moon and planets, lots of chromatic aberration, which makes puts a purple haze over the view but great on stars etc.
hope that helps, Matt