ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-01-2005, 09:47 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

G'day

Well, I've always been interested in space and astronomy, but I've never done anything about it. Having previously had an interest in HAM radio (also tracking and using satellites to communicate to other HAMies (and Andy Thomas aboard MIR!), I still don't feel I've done my interest justice.

Some time in 2003 while driving home from a friends place at about 4am, I spotted the tell tale sign of a comet in the night sky (helps having seen Halley's comet all those years ago, even if the Saturn they showed us at school through the telescope was just a custard blur).

I went to NASA's JPL and did a search on current comets, and found one in the general area I was looking at (not sure how I managed to achieve that any more...). Whether I was actually looking at a comet or not is pretty much irrelevant now. That's just what sparked my interest again.

Since then my interest in getting a telescope has risen again, and I think it's time I did something about it. I've been reading the guides on telescope.com, and they seem very informative, and now I'm looking for a good place to buy one (preferably in Melbourne), and of course some good old advice from anyone willing to give it.
Old 20-01-2005, 09:53 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Blitz,

Welcome to another Victorian.

We could all recommend different telescopes and where to get them, but we need to know what type of viewing you want to do.

Deep Space, Planetary, both?

Scope: Reflector? Refractor? etc.

We will help you find a good bargain if we can, and not buy crap.
Old 20-01-2005, 10:02 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

We will do our (reflector) best to not be (reflector) biased when we (dobsonian reflector) give our opinions.

Signed,
Reflector. OOPS, I mean Ken.
Old 20-01-2005, 10:02 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by ballaratdragons
Hi Blitz,

Welcome to another Victorian.

We could all recommend different telescopes and where to get them, but we need to know what type of viewing you want to do.

Deep Space, Planetary, both?

Scope: Reflector? Refractor? etc.

We will help you find a good bargain if we can, and not buy crap.
Thanks ballaratdragons!

Well, my interest is both deep space and planetary. I'd really like to see mars as best I can, and the rings of saturn.. I'd also like to see what deep space has to offer. I'm in a country town here with very little interferring street light, and a hill 500m away that is basically free from street light, so I was thinking a reflector would probably do the job nicely.

But of course that means it needs to be fairly portable, and of course being my first steps into this, I'd prefer to try and keep the price around $500, unless I can see a reason to up it a bit.

I don't really understand how the base types affect your viewing, so having equatorial, azalt (or whatever it's called) and dobson don't mean too much to me at the moment.
Old 20-01-2005, 10:06 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Sit back and relax Blitz.

Class is about to begin.

You can get a bloody good 8" reflector for $399 plus $50 delivery to Victoria.

It is a dobsonian mount. (very easy to use and set up)
Old 20-01-2005, 10:08 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by ballaratdragons
Sit back and relax Blitz.

Class is about to begin.

You can get a bloody good 8" reflector for $399 plus $50 delivery to Victoria.

It is a dobsonian mount. (very easy to use and set up)
From all the reading I've done today, that sounds pretty darn good. Where would I be likely to get such a deal?
Old 20-01-2005, 10:17 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

From Sydney.

I have opened a thread for you in 'Equipment Discussions' called 'Blitz's Questions'. There are usually more people over there to help.

See you there.
Old 20-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Vermin (Tom)
Cloud dodger

Hi BLiTZWiNG welcome to the forums!

This is another good site for current comets and Iridium flares:

http://www.heavens-above.com
Old 20-01-2005, 11:44 PM
BLiTZWiNG (Trent)
Certified n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermin
Hi BLiTZWiNG welcome to the forums!

This is another good site for current comets and Iridium flares:

http://www.heavens-above.com
Thanks! I've bookmarked the site for later viewing, along with a number of other sites.

Unlike 2 years ago when I tried to find info on the net about astronomy, I seem to be finding plenty of info this time around!
Old 20-01-2005, 11:59 PM
coffeegirl

Hi guys, thought I'd drop in here, I'm new from Melbourne too (south east). Just looking out in the skies tonight for this gas thing happening. Been clouded over last night and tonight is no better but looking to the south there is definate light activity in the skies. If only those clouds would clear. Going to set the alarm and get up in a few hours.

Just gone to look again and it's gone now. It was there 15 minutes ago, like a sunset behind the clouds almost but it's midnight here.

Few weeks ago I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a shooting star only I knew it wasn't because it was so large and bright. Read in the paper it was some space junk of sorts. sorry I'm not up with all the terminology. I've always been fascinated by astronomy and really want to get a telescope. We have a great viewing area from this house even though we are in the city.

Michelle
Old 21-01-2005, 12:06 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hi Michelle,

welcome to the forums.

We have a discussion going on over in 'Equipment Discussions" under the heading 'Blitz's Questions" following on from the above conversation and you are welcome to read it and join in. See you over there.
Old 21-01-2005, 12:10 AM
rumples riot
Who knows

Hey welcome to the site. My recommendation based on your current budget is to get a 10" for a few dollars more in a dobsonian mount. This will give you increased light gathering capacity and slightly better resolution for the planets. You will of course need to buy a few eyepieces as the scope will nost likely come with a 26mm. A 26mm will give good views of nebula, galaxies and clusters of stars, but will be less useful for planetary observation.

For this you could purchase a 15mm eyepiece and a good barlow. The barlow will double your magnification of both eyepieces and thereby provide the eqivilent of a 13mm for the 26 and a 7.5mm for the 15. Therein you will have a 26, 15,13 and 7.5. Thats a nice beginner range.

Anyway if a lot of what I have said makes no sense at this stage, that's ok, I will be happy to explain as many times as you feel necessary. Whats important at this stage, it how much money you want to spend and us helping you to get a good scope for your money. This will then encourage you to go further with the hobby. Bad scopes lead to people dropping out of the hobby. Not what we want. Even if you are a Victorian. LOL. Sorry could not help it.

Finally, ask lots of question, there are plenty of people here who are willing to help and congratulations on your decision to enter into the hobby.
Old 21-01-2005, 12:22 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Hey Paul,

Watch the Victorian bit!!

I am originally (25 years ago ) a Sydney fella and proud of it.

Can't work out why I am still down here , but thats another story.

Victoria ain't that bad.
Old 21-01-2005, 08:44 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quote:
Hi guys, thought I'd drop in here, I'm new from Melbourne too (south east). Just looking out in the skies tonight for this gas thing happening. Been clouded over last night and tonight is no better but looking to the south there is definate light activity in the skies. If only those clouds would clear. Going to set the alarm and get up in a few hours.

Just gone to look again and it's gone now. It was there 15 minutes ago, like a sunset behind the clouds almost but it's midnight here.

Few weeks ago I caught a glimpse of what I thought was a shooting star only I knew it wasn't because it was so large and bright. Read in the paper it was some space junk of sorts. sorry I'm not up with all the terminology. I've always been fascinated by astronomy and really want to get a telescope. We have a great viewing area from this house even though we are in the city.

Michelle
Hi Michelle! to the IceInSpace forums

How did you hear about us?

What type of telescope are you after? If you read the thread Ken started (as he suggested) in the Equipment forum, there's a good discussion there about some different telescopes for beginners.

It really depends on your budget, what you want to use it for, how portable you need it to be, your experience with telescopes, whether you want to starhop or use computerised GOTO controllers, etc.

You'll get all the advice you need from the many experienced and/or enthusiastic folk around here, so please don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need to. It's the best and quickest way to get over the (sometimes steep) learning curve.
Old 21-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Welcome Michelle .

Im also in Melbournes South East.
Old 21-01-2005, 10:19 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Welcome to you both Blitzing and coffeegirl
Old 21-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Welcome Blits and Michelle,

Whats with all the victorians...I thought you all moved to Queensland.....for a better life....lol....no offence.
Old 21-01-2005, 01:09 PM
astrodave (David)

Welcome

I too am in Melbourne's south east..

Hey Striker - We only go to Queensland in the winter to avoid wearing ourselves out from too much sking .. ...
Old 21-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Orion
Obsessed

Welcome all.
Old 21-01-2005, 02:54 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

so many new people!!!

WELCOME ALL!!!