Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
rofl, yes!!!! Being a bigger lad, I do have multiple chins, more to laugh at

Dave

Oh, that's not so funny. Way to make me feel bad..!
Old 29-08-2009, 08:03 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen Miner View Post
Nah don't feel bad, I'm not worried about being a bit chubby. I'm comfortable with my cuddly size. No offence was even taken.

Dave
Old 29-08-2009, 08:12 PM
kinetic (Steve)
ATMer and Saganist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen Miner View Post
You feel bad Mitch?...how do ya reckon I feel?

Sorry Dave!

Steve
Old 29-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Ian Robinson

I've had so many .... it's hard to choose the "best" one ....

Pranged (wrote off) my first car when I was too busy checking out the girls coming out from Cessnock High when I was about 20 years old , and had gone there to visit a girl I knew and fancied ,I should have been watching the road and the girls , I'd've seen the very sharp lefthand turn on the main drag there .... when the cops showed up , they asked where the corpse was as I'd rolled the car down an embankment and crushed the roof on a fence .... only thing that saved me was quick reflexes ...all I got were :
-- some glass fragments in the right arm
---a broken collar bone
---a sore neck which settled down after a day or two (lucky eh!!!)
---a neg driving ticket and a dressing down by the local fuzz
---and a seriously fractured pride.
I had my nice new Mazda 323 for all of 3 months.... how's that for a BIG DOH!!! Needless to say my mum and dad and the insurer were not impressed.

My most recent DOH was thinking I had a dodgey handpaddle on my old CG5 only to discover after disassembling and checking all the solders and connections and determining that they were OK that it was a flat JumpStarter powerpack which wasn't delivering enough V and I to actually work the PWM in the circuit properlyto give the right dutycycle ....

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 30-08-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 30-08-2009, 12:22 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic View Post
You feel bad Mitch?...how do ya reckon I feel?

Sorry Dave!

Steve
Don't feel sorry Steve! I'm pretty thickskinned and appreciate a good laugh, and I have no problems with my being chubby. I'm not insecure like some girls that I know @ work.

Dave
Old 30-08-2009, 01:38 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Most recent "DoH" moment was in setting up my brand new (at NEAF this year) APM 130/780 refractor...

Placing it on my mount for the first time, I was so excited and proud...I turned to get the diagonal and looked back to admire my scope and...

I watched it begin to slowly tip toward the gound...

I dove "in slow motion" to catch it all before it hit the ground...(remember I am a "husky lad" too and don't often move with lightening speed)

I made the catch (hurray)...and it dawned on me that I had not tightened any of the mount legs...I felt like such and idiot...but all was well in the end!
Old 30-08-2009, 03:45 AM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
...I turned to get the diagonal and looked back to admire my scope and...

Nice save!
Old 30-08-2009, 06:13 AM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post

Nice save!
Thanks, as you can imagine, it made for an interesting "first light"!
Old 30-08-2009, 06:54 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

As a newbie I'm having heaps of "D'ohs". Not that many of the below I say "a few times"...

- I've left the Bahtinov mask on a few times.
- Another time I wasted an hour of shots because I didn't check focus after a slew to overhead and didn't realise the focuser had slipped just a little. On the small screen preview it looked ok, but zoomed in and the stars were all bloated.
- A few times I haven't been able to figure out why my gamepad and goto isn't working, thinking there's something wrong with the cables etc and then realising it was all still in "park" mode.
- Balanced the gear roughly before I put all the heavy DSLR and guidecams etc on. Forgot to do a rebalance after and couldn't figure out why PHD was working so hard and having problems.
- Similar out of balance consequence is big slews, when take finger off button the mount keeps slewing and camera banged into tripod legs.
- Walk away talking to people leaving camera shooting away. Come back and realise the batteries were flat and hour ago...

... Jeez, there's heaps more.

Non-astro related:

- when I was in high school I studied 5 years of Japanese. Grade 11 (or was it Grade 12?) we went to Japan for 3 week school trip. First time away from home by myself. Go to do clothes washing for first time. Throw all the clothes in the front-loader, along with lots of washing powder, coins in the slot, hit "go", walk away. Come back 15mins later to check and wonder why no water is in there and realised it was a drier, not a washing machine...

Same trip, we had a few hours to ourselves and a couple of us jumped in a cab to take us to a McDonald's for lunch. Took us 5 mins to explain to the cabby (no English) where we wanted to go, for him to understand, and us try to understand his "local" Japanese, then finally he just pointed and there was a big Golden Arches just a couple of hundred metres down the road...

Is there a limit to how many of these I can type? I could go on for hours. Apparently, I'm the real Homer Simpson...
Old 30-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Alchemy (Clive)
Quietly watching

Astro related DOHs

Thinking the focus is ok because i didnt want to go get the glasses on to check it properly.... run of images wasted

then getting a focusing mask and doing a run with it left on ( a common one it seems)

setting everything up nicely , the last thing before comencing imaging is to set the frame time, got the 1200 right , just overlooked making it Seconds instead of milliseconds..... lots and lots of unusable frames.

tearing out what little hair is left, trying to find a guide star to guide on, finally giving up and off to another target..... yep cap left on guidescope.

Setting up the framing , getting guiding calibrated etc, afterimaging discovering i must have bumped the scope out of polar alignment somehow prior to imaging... all images useless.

probably others i cant remember, problem is i just know ... one day ... i will do some of them again. DOH !!!!!!
Old 30-08-2009, 09:02 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
tearing out what little hair is left, trying to find a guide star to guide on, finally giving up and off to another target..... yep cap left on guidescope.
That one rang a bell here too. I opened my OAG once to check how it was inside and put the prism back facing the other way (camera side). Never found a guide star again until I re-opened it.
Old 30-08-2009, 10:40 AM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Ouch! I'm glad you caught it. I haven't done anything like that yet. Hopefully I never do!

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelandscott View Post
Most recent "DoH" moment was in setting up my brand new (at NEAF this year) APM 130/780 refractor...

Placing it on my mount for the first time, I was so excited and proud...I turned to get the diagonal and looked back to admire my scope and...

I dove "in slow motion" to catch it all before it hit the ground...(remember I am a "husky lad" too and don't often move with lightening speed)

I made the catch (hurray)...and it dawned on me that I had not tightened any of the mount legs...I felt like such and idiot...but all was well in the end!
Old 30-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
I've had so many .... it's hard to choose the "best" one ....

Pranged (wrote off) my first car when I was too busy checking out the girls coming out from Cessnock High when I was about 20 years old , and had gone there to visit a girl I knew and fancied ,I should have been watching the road and the girls , I'd've seen the very sharp lefthand turn on the main drag there .... when the cops showed up , they asked where the corpse was as I'd rolled the car down an embankment and crushed the roof on a fence .... only thing that saved me was quick reflexes ...all I got were :
-- some glass fragments in the right arm
---a broken collar bone
---a sore neck which settled down after a day or two (lucky eh!!!)
---a neg driving ticket and a dressing down by the local fuzz
---and a seriously fractured pride.
I had my nice new Mazda 323 for all of 3 months.... how's that for a BIG DOH!!! Needless to say my mum and dad and the insurer were not impressed.

I noticed, when I was a young lad (only 26 so I guess, i'm still young), I had a tendency to observe the ladies all to frequently on the road. I made it clear to myself then, that if I was to look, then they better bloody-well be worth crashing my car over. I love my car and have never looked since...
Old 30-08-2009, 07:55 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Probably not my biggest Doh Justa few weeks ago I took the 8" of it's pier for the first time ina very long time and went to a Star night at a school in Caloundra, only reallised about a Kilometer away from my destination that I had left the tripod behind
I live 60kms away so there was no going back
Luckely there was ample scopes to entertain the children
Old 31-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

these are so funny
Old 31-08-2009, 06:29 AM
CoolhandJo (Paul)

All very funny.

My doh moment was when I first got my LX200 in az (no wedge). I read somehwere that to get good astro shots you should polar align (just got a dsi camera). I cant see the south polar star from my house so my mate and I packed this 10" scope off to a nearby lookout to "polar align it". So we found the star but then realised you need a wedge AND you need to do it everytime you move the scope! To top off the stupidity of this, by lugging the scope around that night I damaged something and it needed expensive repairs the next week!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Jules76 (Julian)
I just point it at stuff

Had my first doh moment tonight, although even though I didn't get caught out in the end, it was still pretty funny.

Anyway, went to my partner's parents place for Fathers day and decided to take my scope out for the first time. Figured it would be a good idea since they live in Minden (about a 50km drive West from Brisbane). Turned out I didn't get a chance to take it out, no worries it was a just in case thing.

I get back home, go through the unloading of all my gear from the boot (HEQ5, 8" Reflector, accessories etc), start putting it all away in my room and there staring at me on the table is 2x 5kg counterweights.

That would of been fun trying to balance my scope!
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

After my brother passed away 5 years ago, I decided on a clean out of my shed, and I threw out my 6" f6 mirror from my first homebuilt scope circa.1986. A bad move but I was in the wrong frame of mind to even contemplate a clean out.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Lumen Miner (Mitchell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenluceskies View Post
After my brother passed away 5 years ago, I decided on a clean out of my shed, and I threw out my 6" f6 mirror from my first homebuilt scope circa.1986. A bad move but I was in the wrong frame of mind to even contemplate a clean out.
WoaH!! That comment just sent shivers up my spin. I came very very close, to finding my brother not alive in my shed. I thank the gods everyday, that it was not, as it seemed.

Last edited by Lumen Miner; 07-09-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Two...and the sad thing is they are getting more expensive...

1) H-Alpha punters will appreciate this

...took the Etalon off prior to removing the blocking filter....which shattered.
Doh!

2) Plugged an untested guide cable with a hot 12Volt pin into my PME.....fried both PCB's....$A2.5K in about 20 milliseconds.... oh F..K!!