Old 30-04-2008, 11:03 AM
a-l-e-x

New Second Scope

Im trying to decide between two scopes as my primary portable scope to be used on long trips (perhaps even flights) as the air pollution is pretty bad where I live. I have a Dob, so large aperture isnt a primary concern with this second scope-- portability and image quality over a wide range of objects (moon, planets, deep space) is. Ive been looking at the ETX-125PE UHTC "Premier Edition" and the Celestron C6-S 6inch SCT. Points in the C6's favor are its shorter f-ratio and larger aperture. Points in the ETX favor are (maybe?) its sharper images and more portability. Im not sure which scope to go with right now, and Im also looking at the Omni XLT 127mm SCT, so that adds a bit more of a wrinkle into the mix. Will the C6's 1 inch of extra aperture make a difference in planetary viewing as well as deep space or should I go with the etx? I live in a light polluted area (long island) and close to the ocean to boot. Thanks in advance for any help!

BTW astrophotography isnt my primary concern with this scope, but I might be doing some afocal astrophotography (camera held in front of EP) with a digital camera. This would be of the moon, planets, M13, M31, M42 and the Pleaides.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:06 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

What about the 5" offering from intes, m500 - apparently the optics are excellent - you would need to purchase a mount to go with I imagine.

I rate the meade slightly ahead of celestron, my celestron tracking was slightly off, the meade seemed more precise.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:30 AM
a-l-e-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
What about the 5" offering from intes, m500 - apparently the optics are excellent - you would need to purchase a mount to go with I imagine.

I rate the meade slightly ahead of celestron, my celestron tracking was slightly off, the meade seemed more precise.
Thanks, do you have a link to this scope? My budget would be around $1000 with everything included.
Old 30-04-2008, 11:43 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

just google intes m500 or alter 500, you should find the link - can't remember the US supplier
try this link
http://www.stellaroptical.com/alter-m500.htm

Last edited by dannat; 30-04-2008 at 12:04 PM.