Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 15-01-2021, 09:16 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

running chicken with its head cut off

thought I'd try a new object (for me). IC2944 and associated sometimes called Running Chicken Nebula. NINA did a good job chugging through the night for me (night before last) and of around 5 hours this is best 3hr 40m.

QHY268c High Gain Mode 60gn. Espirit 100ed. Lextreme filter. Most;y 240s exps but some 120s mixed in.

Fairly pleased with what's coming through. Focus wasnt perfect (my new challenge), but looking at online shots I think I orientated wrong and have cut off the chickens head. I've re-orientated and started taking shots 90 to this last night and fingers cross again tonight :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (runningchickenDSS_ST_3h40m.jpg)
212.3 KB75 views
Old 15-01-2021, 01:48 PM
Zuts

Looking good Robert. There are some halo's around the brighter stars. Where is the filter placed?
Old 15-01-2021, 02:18 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
Looking good Robert. There are some halo's around the brighter stars. Where is the filter placed?
thanks, the ZWO filter drawer iimmediately after the tilt/centering adaptor of the camera.... so closer about midway... that said I've tried different locations with different rigs and always get Halo's on bright stars with this filter. any suggestions? that said... I kinda like them... perhaps I'm odd, I like diffraction spikes as well ?:-)
Old 15-01-2021, 04:12 PM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
thanks, the ZWO filter drawer iimmediately after the tilt/centering adaptor of the camera.... so closer about midway... that said I've tried different locations with different rigs and always get Halo's on bright stars with this filter. any suggestions? that said... I kinda like them... perhaps I'm odd, I like diffraction spikes as well ?:-)
I believe that's the recommended positioning, as close to the chip as possible. So sorry I can't help. I guess it is the filter?
Old 15-01-2021, 04:46 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
I believe that's the recommended positioning, as close to the chip as possible. So sorry I can't help. I guess it is the filter?
Actually now I think on it I may be able to screw the fikter in closer to the chip with this camera. Something I will explore later. Hopes aren't high though as I have always seen halos on the LExtreme with bright stars.
Old 15-01-2021, 05:19 PM
bojan
amateur

Halo is not the problem... Image is very sharp
Old 15-01-2021, 10:45 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Robert,
Nice image of the Chook
Not an easy target to frame
Well done !
Martin