Old 31-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Kaffine (Craig)

Question Western Astro-Newbie

Greetings all

First up, thanks for the add..

My name's Craig and am an avid amateur photographer thats looking to go down the slippery slope of Astrophotography, I know this will end up expensive but if I don't spend the money the kids will.. My current knowledge of Astronomy is limited at best so expect quite a few basic questions, but I do know what a search button is for and do love a challenge.

So understanding that the Nebula photography is the end game and there is a lot of learning between now and then am I better starting off with a cheap 150/750 Sky Watcher style scope (I can pick up a'n old Optex 750/150 on what looks like a eq3 mount all manual for a couple of hundred bux) and learn the skies and equipment techniques or go straight to building the end equipment and start saving for a higher end HEQ5 style mount and build from there?

Thanks in advance
Kaff
Old 31-08-2017, 01:36 PM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

Welcome Craig!

Good to see another Perthian, Perthite, Perthonian...? here

It's a long road you are embarking on for sure, but go nowhere near the eq3 straight up, that will only lead to frustration and lack of results. Put that money towards the HEQ5 pro as a minimum. You can normally see those for around $600 here on IIS.

I'm also going to suggest getting an ed80 or ed100 refractor as opposed to a newt as they are basically just put on mount and go. Some people will suggest a newt for the apperture to price ratio but newts have a bit more of a learning curve to them to get great results, plus by the time you get to that point you coukd be running 20 to 30 minute subs anyway. So with the amount you'll have to pick up initially, the less frustrated you are at the start the better you will fair.

Cheers,
Jimmy.
Old 31-08-2017, 02:01 PM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

The other thing I'm going to suggest straight up is to look at off-axis guiding (get a QHY5ii L-m for guiding- fantastic and good price). I was running a guidescope before with an 80mm refractor and in my opinion the difference in guiding was night and day. There is science behind this as well as to why this happens. OAG is not as scary or any harder to setup as some might think.

Should just be able to use your camera (do you have a canon or nikkon dslr?)

Next is software-

(Free)
ASCOM platform
EQMOD
Stellarium Scope
Stellarium
PHD2
Deep sky stacker

($$ but recommended)
Alignmaster (about $20)

Backyard EOS/Nikkon if running one of those ( ~$50) which i would recommend first up anyway. less issues with software with those manufactures.

I use Sequence Generator Pro instead of Backyard now and for $99USD i would highly recommend this option over Backyard.

TeamViewer - because sitting in the cold sucks! Or you might need some remote help.

Choice of image editing software. I use pixinsight which is fantastic and covers preprocessing as well but is $$$

Last edited by _Jimmy; 31-08-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 31-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Kaffine (Craig)

Thanks up front for the starter, The long road can be a good thing as I like the learning and the challenge
I've already google searched some of the items you've recommended and are sitting on browser tabs for me to get some reading done tonight. I'll get those software packages and start looking at them as well.

I'll be on the look out for a HEQ5 ASAP as recommended and if I can get one at that price I'll be wrapped. If you see one feel free to message me
Quote:
Should just be able to use your camera (do you have a canon or nikkon dslr?)
pfft Nikon wash your mouth out Canon 7Dmkii and a Sony A7R ff

I currently use Lightroom and Photoshop but may need a better stacking program, but actually taking a photo may be a few weeks off yet. I'll start on the close and easy stuff and work from there

Thanks so much again for your help. it's good to have a focus and direction on where to head as with photography there is sooo much information out there it can be overwhelming..

Any other hints and tips please pass them on..

Cheers
Craig
Old 31-08-2017, 04:55 PM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

Haha, sometimes the expletives just come out! The 7Dii is awesome for starting out, don't worry about the Sony for this stuff. Sony aren't big on releasing their sdks, so there is next to f-all third-party software to control them and you don't want to be going near the scope to trigger the camera. For the oag, the Orion thin off axis guider is a good one and works well incorporating a range of cameras including dslrs.

Besides the various bits of cables etc that's about it. You will need a USB to serial cable for controlling the mount by computer, but don't buy that retail they are overpriced in my opinion. I can arrange one for you.

Then once you are wanting to get out into a dark zone, you run all this off a 12v deep cycle battery, pour some whiskey and enjoy the night!
Old 31-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Kaffine (Craig)

Well I must admit I'm just getting abit excited about this new venture and there can be Whiskey involved.. The CC is already packed..