Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Malcolm

Alt/Az GOTO PAE Question

After doing a 2 star alignment the handset displays that a previous PAE has been applied. Even though I have cleared PAE data before doing the alignment. (v3.37 handset)
I haven't as yet tried using the PAE, I usually just do a two star align after leveling the base. I've noticed after a while there is some drift in the alignment, would using PAE correct this?
Old 26-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

PAE corrections are automatically removed after each new star alignment is performed as specified in the user manual. PAE will improve the residuals of your overall alignment. You need to manually adjust both altitude and azimuth after pointing to a star. The handset will prompt you for each adjustment.
It effectively is an on board drift alignment proceedure aimed at reducing the tracking errors inherent with basic polar alignment.
This method is mainly used specifically to make corrections in a zone of interest that you may be concentrating on during a particular session, as the constellations are made up of different 'zones' the PAE can be used to make tracking suit the zone you are working in.
Hope this makes some sense.
Old 26-06-2016, 11:07 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

Without knowing which mount you have.

With my Orion AZEQ mount, I started thinking that the tracking was a bit ordinary after I had used it for a few months and gotten comfortable with it.

Then I decided I was perhaps being a bit relaxed about alignment so one night I did the full alignment very carefully from start to finish (Including leveling the base with a proper spirit level prior to putting the mount head on instead of the little plastic one built into the head) and making sure the alignment stars were well centered using a high power EP and BOOM, good goto and tracking all night.
Old 26-06-2016, 05:03 PM
Malcolm

Thanks for the replies. I have a 10" Skywatcher Dob. I have fitted leveling feet to the base and use a spirit level before fitting the tube. I'll try a wide field 4mm ep instead of a 2" 32mm next time.
Old 30-06-2016, 07:29 PM
Anth10 (Anthony M)
When its late stay awake

try an illuminated reticle, the cross hairs have double lines enabling perfect centering of stars, this eliminates the guess work in middling the star in the field of view and improving the overall alignment accuracy.