Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2016, 11:00 AM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
The K-25 and K-12 are Kelner design and the Or-6 is an orthoscopic design , this is your high power eyepiece about 130x . You won't use this much , only on really good nights.
The. K-12 will give about 75x , mid range magnification .

Looking at the K-25 it looks to have the chrome bottom missing , these unscrew from the top black housing that holds the optics.
Look at unscrewing the Moon bit , that's probably a Moon filter like the dangerous Sun filter just unscrew it and the chrome bottom of the 6mm and see if it fits the. 25 mm .

Another thing. , measure the chrome barrels they will be either 24mm ( .965 inch.) or 32m ( 1 1/4 inch) .
Let me know what size these and the focus tube is .
Cheers.

Brian.
Hi Brian,

Ill check barrel sizes tonight and let you know. Thanks for the info on the eye pieces. Im going to see what unscrews from where.

I was fortunate enough to be contacted by a member of this group who is local to me. He has offered to show me the ropes and how to set up and care for my unit. Hoping to catch up with him this weekend.

Welshy1969
Old 10-02-2016, 11:11 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy1969 View Post
Hi Brian,

Ill check barrel sizes tonight and let you know. Thanks for the info on the eye pieces. Im going to see what unscrews from where.

I was fortunate enough to be contacted by a member of this group who is local to me. He has offered to show me the ropes and how to set up and care for my unit. Hoping to catch up with him this weekend.

Welshy1969
Hi Andrew,

Hope it goes well, and great that you have found an observing buddy!

I don't want to contradict your Kung Fu master , but you should be able to see heaps of objects in that scope, especially if you can get away from city lights. As you gain experience you will see more and more. I remember the first time I saw the "Leo Trio" (3 interacting galaxies in the constellation Leo) it was in a similar scope, a Tasco version of yours. You will be able to see most of the Messier objects, and many 100's of others: just don't expect them to look like Hubble Telescope images...

Certainly the moon, Jupiter and Saturn will blow you away to start with!

All the best,

Dean

PS: I strongly agree with Brian and others: I would destroy the sun filter, just in case anyone else grabs it and thinks they can use it... maybe if it has a barrel you can unscrew it and use that for your 25mm Kellner.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:06 PM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
Hi Andrew,

Hope it goes well, and great that you have found an observing buddy!

I don't want to contradict your Kung Fu master , but you should be able to see heaps of objects in that scope, especially if you can get away from city lights. As you gain experience you will see more and more. I remember the first time I saw the "Leo Trio" (3 interacting galaxies in the constellation Leo) it was in a similar scope, a Tasco version of yours. You will be able to see most of the Messier objects, and many 100's of others: just don't expect them to look like Hubble Telescope images...

Certainly the moon, Jupiter and Saturn will blow you away to start with!

All the best,

Dean

PS: I strongly agree with Brian and others: I would destroy the sun filter, just in case anyone else grabs it and thinks they can use it... maybe if it has a barrel you can unscrew it and use that for your 25mm Kellner.
Hi Dean,

Its as I expected with a unit of this size and power. Thanks for the info. I plan to let Sifu (what we call our master in Chinese) know all about it when I get to looking at things.

Ive been advised by enough people to destroy the sun filter to take it very seriously, but I am glad I have not yet as the lower half, as you suggest may be a barrel I need to keep.

Im looking forward to having a crack at this!

Andrew
Old 15-02-2016, 11:02 AM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Special thanks

I just want to say thanks for all your friendly advice and assistance with a very high praise to Astronobob who is local to me and offered to get me up to speed and helped me get my scope tuned up.

Bob spent 4 hours with me on a saturday afternoon/evening showing me how to set up and evening gave me a small tour of the heavens and what to look for. I came away with so much more knowledge than I expected!

Im glad I joined this forum group!

Andrew
Old 16-02-2016, 04:14 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

3 thumbs up to Bob , it's what we all do , as I had the same thing happened to me many moons ago , amateur astronomers are a great bunch. So helpful and ready to help anyway we can.

Enjoy your learning curve and enjoy , your scope will show you years of stuff.

Brian.
Old 16-02-2016, 09:44 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

It has actually been illegal to sell those screw on sun filters in Australia for well over 20 years. As others have suggested throw it in the bin, they are extremely dangerous to use.

Cheers
John B
Old 16-02-2016, 11:52 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy1969 View Post
I just want to say thanks for all your friendly advice and assistance with a very high praise to Astronobob who is local to me and offered to get me up to speed and helped me get my scope tuned up.

Bob spent 4 hours with me on a saturday afternoon/evening showing me how to set up and evening gave me a small tour of the heavens and what to look for. I came away with so much more knowledge than I expected!

Im glad I joined this forum group!

Andrew
Hey thanx Andrew, very kind words there
Was 4 hrs of quality time mate, totally enjoyed it and to hear quite a few times your words "Ahhhh, so thats how it works - makes a lot of sense now I get it" This is very rewarding in itself

Cant beat 'field work' seeing gear in action etc.
Have you lined up on Jupiter yet ? oh, by the way, yeah, throw that Solar filter, we did find it was cracked right through the middle too !!!

All the best & good to have met you
Old 17-02-2016, 10:14 AM
welshy1969 (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
Hey thanx Andrew, very kind words there
Was 4 hrs of quality time mate, totally enjoyed it and to hear quite a few times your words "Ahhhh, so thats how it works - makes a lot of sense now I get it" This is very rewarding in itself

Cant beat 'field work' seeing gear in action etc.
Have you lined up on Jupiter yet ? oh, by the way, yeah, throw that Solar filter, we did find it was cracked right through the middle too !!!

All the best & good to have met you
Hey Bob,

I am yet to set it back up again but was planning to do it this weekend. Jupiter should be a little higher in the sky than last weekend and as I have learnt, the higher it is, the less atmosphere I have to look through!

And please everyone its ok, the Sun filter is broken and not usable. I am keeping the case of the filter and discarding the lens itself. I can make my own collimation tool with the piece I have left. NO SOLAR LENS AT ALL!!! lol

Andrew
Old 17-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Huey (Michael)

Hello Andrew,
You mentioned you got a solar filter to go with the telescope. If it is one of those small thingies that you screw into an eyepiece, DON'T use it. It can and will break and damage your eyes. Any solar filter that can go in front of the scope is ok. You can also try solar projection, but don't use a screw in solar filter. The moon filter should be fine.

Hopefully clear skies and have fun with the scope
Huey