Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Varangian (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Gaza View Post
Very disheartened...couldn't find the Eta Carinae Nebula. Found a couple of Star Clusters but didn't see any cloudiness around it and as per Alex's comment on another thread, I'm assuming that I'd have known if i had found it.

Allan, you mentioned I should be able to see it with the naked eye...but maybe I have too much ambient lighting around me...I got nuthin'
Wait for a new or near new moon
Old 03-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Liz

Congrats on the new scope Garry, the 10" Dobs are great.
Keep that weather down there, thats ok.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 AM
silv (Annette)

Just a feedback on what consequences your thread here about your Saturn discovery had:
During another frustrating setup session, I remembered your excitement and also took my first aim at Saturn on Sunday.
So thank you for sharing your joy!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv View Post
Just a feedback on what consequences your thread here about your Saturn discovery had:
During another frustrating setup session, I remembered your excitement and also took my first aim at Saturn on Sunday.
So thank you for sharing your joy!
No problem Silv....always glad to share my joy

If only the next ventures had been as successful.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:13 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Garry,

As others have said, nebulae & galaxies are for new moon period (that's when there is no moon in our skies). To give you an idea, the magnitude of the full moon is -12. Being that bright, it will wash out much of the nebulae and galaxies in our sky- the Eta Carina nebula for example sits at magnitude +6.21. (negative is brighter, plus is dimmer) so as you can see, the full moon practically over powers it. I hope I'm making some sense here, if not, perhaps someone else can pop in and explain it better.

When the moon is out, that's a good time to do double star observing, splitting double stars, observing planets & open star clusters (not globulars really- best done with no moon).

This is also a good time to learn your bright stars and constellations. Do your homework of where it is in the sky to track down your target list of objects in readiness for new moon period. You will need to look up, work out the constellation, work out the star it sits next to, then work out how many degrees away from that bright star it sits and work out the starfield i.e. asterisms to plot you to your target. Computer software will better help you here, as in Stellarium or Starry Nights etc. Make the most use of those moon filled nights- I assure you it'll be worth it as you won't be wasting precious new moon time sorting thru all this stuff.
One of the good things about printing off a map is that you can make lots of notes and draw lots of arrows on them of where to hop to, best times to view etc.

On a moonless night, let your eyes dark adapt for at least 10 mins. Walk out armed with your planisphere or a printed map of the Carina constellation and a red light torch. The constellation resembles a triangle of sort- the nebula sits at the pointy end this triangle. Look for Theta Carinae which is a fairly bright star (it's part of the IC2602 Southern Pleiades cluster), very close by will sit the Eta Carina nebula. Don't look straight at it (theta) once you've spotted it- in other words your looking straight ahead but looking using the corner of your eye- you should be able to pick up the hazy patch naked eye. This is called averted vision- our eyes are more sensitive to the dark using using the rods (as opposed to cones) which are placed in our peripheral vision.
If a street light is next to you, move away from it, if you your external house lights are on, turn them off, if your curtains are open, close them; do whatever measures it takes to limit bright light inhibiting your viewing be it naked eye or through a telescope. A dark cloth over your head and eyepiece can also help tremendously (some us have no control over the neighbours lights ).
Oh, and observe planets (if possible) after deep sky objects (you don't want to ruin your dark adaption as they're are so bright).

In a short amount of time, and with a few observing sessions under your belt- I am confident that hazy patches in the sky will become very apparent to you through your naked eye alone. Aside from the hazy patch in Carina, there's another one under Scopius' stinger which should make itself apparent (M6 & M7). Take small steps- you are only just starting out, so be patient, you'll learn and get better as you go- trust me.
Don't get disheartened yet- expect to stumble esp. at this stage. Know this- I'm the worst person ever to be in charge of a map- don't give me a road map , but with determination and passion and most of all patience, I was able to find objects- if I can do it anyone can. Looking at the sky and working out what's what will be key time spent BEFORE looking through that eyepiece.

Remember too, that the sky conditions will greatly effect how you see that object. Some nights it will be magnificient, and other nights it can be terrible. Depending on how much moisture is in the air, cloud, turbulence etc play a huge role. This is why regular visits back to the same object help- each night can bring upon us some new detail and delight (or not!). The more you observe those faint fuzzies through your telescope, the better you will also get out at picking out detail- dark lanes etc become more apparent (again, depending on the condition of the night). It'll happen naturally- as long as you "observe" rather than just "see". Meaning, study the object. A UHC filter will greatly help nebula viewing by the way where light pollution poses a problem.

Getting your target highest in the sky away from the soup of the atmosphere will help too. This is where your computer programme will come in handy- work out when the object is going to be around 40 degrees plus above the horizon.
Your list of targets for that night should be listed in order of time & height- so you get the best chances of observing them.

I did a post a while back which I think may benefit you- please refer to posts #13, #14 & #15 here.

I too have a 10" dob, so trust me, you won't have a problem- you'll see a ton of good stuff through it from even a light polluted suburban backyard!
Meanwhile, just have some fun and cruising by aiming your scope between Crux and Carina, you should bump into plenty of beautiful star clusters as they're so plentiful within that area.

P.S.
If some of the things I've suggested seem quite obvious, I do apologise, as I don't know you're level of knowledge yet, so I just threw it all out there.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Suzy, thanks for the detailed explanation. And no need to apologise for suggesting the "obvious", because to someone that is new to this game, nuthin' is obvious .

Everything you said makes sense and should prove to be very helpful. Thankyou for the encouraging words. Allan and others also mentioned to stay clear of the Moon (they must have heard me howling).

In relation to "just have some fun and cruising by aiming your scope between Crux and Carina, you should bump into plenty of beautiful star clusters as they're so plentiful within that area" I think I have been observing these very clusters and yes, it is amazing how many stars there are up there.

Probably taking a rest tonight as I'm going to be observing the stars on Channel 9 from 7:30pm

Who knows, after the final whistle and assuming the clouds here in Sydney have lifted, maybe there will be time to have a quick look at the Full Moon in some detail.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

The Wife has plans for us for the next week (looks like some payback is coming....and it's going to cost me), so no star gazing for a bit.

Hopefully, when I get back at it, the nebulae will be waiting.
Old 13-07-2012, 10:41 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Hi Garry,
You seem to have done an awful lot of observing in a short amount of time...are you some kind of cloud whisperer??? If so how about moving to what used to be the most liveable city in the world and working your magic down here... could really use it. Great scope to start with too and to learn the sky I got Sky Safari on my ipod which I look at just about any time, at the Dentist, Trains, at work...an amazing bit of techno stuff. A very absorbing hobby.
Matt
Old 13-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Thanks Matt....Melbourne is where my Wife dragged me all this week, and I haven't seen a star since I've been here....way too cloudy so I feel your pain

Looking forward to getting back into it next week
Old 13-07-2012, 11:11 PM
Varangian (John)

Yep Melbourne really sux...if you want to look up and are not really all that into clouds.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

So back in Sydney this evening and while I was gone, someone must have replaced my Telescope with a Kaleidoscope....or sprayed the sky with hundreds and thousands

So different now that the Moon is not overpowering the sky. Looks like some fun evenings ahead once I catch up on some sleep.
Old 17-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

NGC 5139 found

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjamo9 View Post
...there is a cluster i love to see, if you take the pointer star closest the crux and the star from the crux closest to the pointers draw a triangle with that line as the base, aim at an imaginary third spot above it and you will see ngc5139 or there abouts. thats one mother of a cluster.
Finally found this one tonight....was beginning to think my days as an Astronomer were over before they had begun . (I have to become more methodical rather than blaze my way across the sky each night).
Old 28-07-2012, 06:02 PM
cjamo9 (Clinton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest_Gaza View Post
Finally found this one tonight....was beginning to think my days as an Astronomer were over before they had begun . (I have to become more methodical rather than blaze my way across the sky each night).
ot to far away from that one is the hamburger galaxy ngc5128?. you may be able to see it with your scope but unless you got a good night without the moon i wouldnt bother finding it.
Old 20-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

It's been a while since my last post (life got real busy), but still hanging in there.

Have had great viewing of Jupiter this year and the Nebula around the "pot handle" which I'm sure has a real name that escapes me at the moment
Old 22-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Poita (Peter)

I'm guessing you mean M42?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Nebula
Old 22-01-2013, 05:57 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Sounds like M42 to me, one of my favourite objects, I notice something new every time I observe it. I must have spent hours looking at it.

Actually the Trapezium area in M42 is one of my rough and ready seeing checks, if I can spot the A to F stars in the trapezium then it it likely to be an enjoyable night seeing wise.
Old 22-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

Yep...M42 is the one. Although, obviously didn't get the same view as the link above.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Honest_Gaza (Garry)

...and a Year on since first discovering Saturn (although apparently, others discovered it long before I did)....took out the scope for the first time in Months, and there is that magnificent sight all over again