Old 16-09-2020, 11:56 AM
Spidy (Phil)

CGX mount polar align question

Hi folks.

Time for a newbie question. When adjusting the Azimuth while polar aligning, the Azimuth Adjustment Knobs need to be used in an opposite manner. That is, loosen one, tighten the other. However, I've found that it's very difficult, that is, I encounter a lot of resistance in moving these knobs. I've checked the manual but there's nothing in there to suggest I'm doing anything wrong.

Do I need to loosen the 4 Socket Head Screws on the base-plate to be able to slightly rotate the base-plate on the head?

The Altitude Adjustment Knob has Altitude Lock Knobs. Is it the same sort of thing with Azimuth where I have to loosen these Socket Head Screws?

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but this wouldn't be the first time Celestron manuals are wrong or are lacking info.
Old 16-09-2020, 12:01 PM
glend (Glen)

Yes, the four base socket head bolts need to be slightly loosened to allow the upper section to rotate when the AZ bolts are adjusted. Failure to slacken off those bolts could actually lead to stripping of the AZ bolts hole, although I have yet to hear of anyone doing that. Do not over loosen them, just enough so you can turn the nylon washers under the bolt. Do not forget to tighten the base bolts up when you finish that step.

And yes, the Alt adjustment, side mounted lock knobs need to be backed off slightly to allow the Alt adjustment knob to work. I haven't looked at my manual that came with my CGX in years, but I am pretty sure this was covered.

Be aware that whatever scope you have mounted on the CGX is going to influence the force required to move the mount, and it is important in my experience that you have the load balanced. Mine is on a pier so I do not align it anymore, but the initial alignment was done with a light scope used in the saddle, as my polar alignment scope.

Last edited by glend; 16-09-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old 16-09-2020, 02:16 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Thanks for the response Glen. I thought that might be the case.

Without attaching the entire manual, the steps listed below are what is printed in the manual:

Precise Polar Alignment
Celestron’s All-Star Polar Alignment allows you to precisely
polar align your mount without using Polaris or a polar axis
finder. This software-assisted polar alignment allows you to
choose a convenient star.
Prerequisite: The CGX-L must first be aligned with a
Two Star, One Star, or Solar System Align.
1. Select a suitable bright star from the NexStar hand
control’s database. Slew the telescope to the star.
2. Press the ALIGN button. Select “Polar Align” then
“Align Mount” from the list.
3. The telescope will then re-slew to the alignment star
and ask you to center it in the eyepiece in order to
“sync” on the star. Press ENTER, center the star with
the arrow keys, then press ALIGN to sync on the star.
4. Press ENTER and the telescope will slew to the
position that the star should be if it were accurately
polar-aligned. At this point, do not use the hand
control to center the star.
5. Use the mount’s altitude and azimuth adjustments
to center the star in the eyepiece.
6. Press the ALIGN button.
The mount is now precisely polar aligned. You may
proceed to use the mount without a new go to alignment.

A search for "screw" and "knob" did not show any mention of loosening the 4 Socket Head Screws.
Old 16-09-2020, 02:53 PM
glend (Glen)

Perhaps they falsely assumed that owners would realise that loosening off the lock down bolts was necessary. Write to them if it bothers you.
Old 16-09-2020, 03:25 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Perhaps they falsely assumed that owners would realise that loosening off the lock down bolts was necessary. Write to them if it bothers you.

It doesn't bother me as much as it's an annoyance. I had similar issues trying to figure out my correct back-focus given my setup. The manual was wrong there too.

I wonder if someone does damage their knobs or threads due to this omission in the manual if Celestron would actually honor warranty.

A user in another forum can confirm also that "we're meant to figure that part out for ourselves"
Old 16-09-2020, 06:03 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidy View Post
It doesn't bother me as much as it's an annoyance. I had similar issues trying to figure out my correct back-focus given my setup. The manual was wrong there too.

I wonder if someone does damage their knobs or threads due to this omission in the manual if Celestron would actually honor warranty.

A user in another forum can confirm also that "we're meant to figure that part out for ourselves"
Well it seems to be part of assumed knowledge. The Skywatcher NEQ6 variants have had problems with bent or stripped Alt bolts for years. The way to avoid the problem was to take the load off the bolt by lifting up on the counter weight bar.
Old 16-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Spidy (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Well it seems to be part of assumed knowledge. The Skywatcher NEQ6 variants have had problems with bent or stripped Alt bolts for years. The way to avoid the problem was to take the load off the bolt by lifting up on the counter weight bar.

Yeah, it certainly seems that way. I'm a complete newbie and even though to me it seemed obvious, I expected the manual to be the definitive authority.

Again, I thank you for your response. Yet another mistake I'll never make again.