ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-03-2016, 11:59 PM
Ferv (Clay)

Having issues balancing

Hiya!

I am anticipating many a long night out under the stars with my newfound interest in Astronomy and I'm glad there are sites such as this to help along the way.

Also, I couldn't highly recommend the gentleman at Saxon West Melbourne and Optics Central in mitcham. They were more than helpful for a complete newbie and I had a pleasureable experience shopping at the stores.

I decided after much research on a Netwonian eq5 mount and Saxon velocity 2001 200mm telescope for a first and upgradeable unit.

purchased today... Nothing but cloud tonight haha! (murpheys law!)

I am having a hell of a time trying to balance the scope.

I have the RA balanced no worries, but no matter where I move the counterweights to, the scope and lenses are too heavy for the CW to balance properly :'( Is there something I am missing? It was straight out of the box with everything stock as was and in the manual.

A little confused?

Also, Star parties? Clubs? Are there any within reach of Bendigo in Victoria? I don't mind travelling a coupla hundred k's or so if necessary.

Cheers!

Clay
Old 24-03-2016, 12:39 AM
raymo

Hi Clay, Firstly, as far as I recall, the EQ5 has a payload limit of 10kg.
An 8" f/5 Newt weighs about 9 to 10kg; with the finderscope and a
2" eyepiece, and any other small accessories such as filters, or a
barlow lens, you'd be over the mount's limit. That being the case, the
supplied weights might not be enough to balance the load. An EQ5 is
not really suitable for an 8" longer tube type of scope such as a Newt,
[which is what I assume the Velocity 2001 is], and definitely not for
astrophotography.
When you say you have the RA balanced, I think you mean the Declination. The counterweights work on the RA axis.
Had a look at some reviews, and you are not the first to complain of insufficient counterweights. I suspect that this has come about
because Saxon has paired the mount with a scope heavier than the mount was designed for.
raymo

Last edited by raymo; 24-03-2016 at 12:51 AM. Reason: more text
Old 24-03-2016, 01:25 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Hi Clay, welcome to IISpace ,, .

There is an Astro Club at Snake Valley, which is about 15klms west of Ballarat ? Google map from what I can estimate - Ballarat is approx 100klms sth of Bendigo, , , You would have a much better idea of that tho !

Below is a Link to the Snake Valley Astro Association if it helps, a nice bunch of fellas down there, and will certainly help with very experienced advice !

Well worth the trip for the 1st time in your case - just follow through their web page to find out further info - location, meeting times etc

LINK --> http://ballaratman.wix.com/svaa#!about
Old 24-03-2016, 05:31 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

I find it is best to include a link to the unit you are discussing or people may make recommendations on what they think you have rather than what you really have.

Which of these three do you have?
http://www.opticscentral.com.au/cata...+velocity+2001
Old 24-03-2016, 09:02 AM
doppler (Rick)

Hi Clay, Besides moving the counter weights up and down the shaft, you might also have to loosen the tube rings to slide the optical tube forward or back to balance the tube in RA. Here's a link to a good guide that should help(scroll down to balancing the mount).

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/index.p...63,498,0,0,1,0

Cheers Rick
Old 25-03-2016, 02:17 AM
Ferv (Clay)

Thanks very much guys, I appreciate the help. I totally understand now, The counterweights are insufficient for the weight of the scope. So perhaps I am running a risk of using a dslr with the eq5 mount aswell?

I'll definitely look into the club at Snake Valley for sure. That's just a hop skip and a jump from Bendigo

Also, I tried attaching my dslr to the scope using the supplies celestion t adapter and t-ring, however, I couldn't for the life of me get it to focus? Would I need to extend the field of the focus using either a barlow or tube extension?

Saw Jupiter and the 4 moons for the first time tonight... Simply amazing! I'm already hooked!

Many thanks

Old 25-03-2016, 02:19 AM
Ferv (Clay)

http://www.opticscentral.com.au/saxo...telescope.html

oh, and this is the scope I purchased..

Thanks again
Old 25-03-2016, 08:45 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Clay
Couple of things, the ASV (Astronomical Society of Vic) has a dark sky site at Heathcote, which should be very close to you. You must be a member to access but once in you can go there at any time. ASV website is www.asv.org.au The ASV also runs a number of camps each year.

In addition to the club as Snake Valley, we also run bi annual camps. they are run under a separate umbrella but keep an eye on info here on IIS when they are coming up. If you want to be added to the email list, send me a PM with your email address and I will add you to the list. Our next camp is in October.

On your scope issues, newtonians like this are made for visual use. They usually will not reach focus with a camera as the focal plane is inside or very close to the focuser and the sensor on the camera in inside the body of the camera. Skywatcher brand scopes I understand are designed with a focuser that can accommodate this, but I have a feeling that Saxon ones do not. Did the retailer tell you that the scope is suitable for imaging? If so I would be going back to them and getting the low down on how to do it.

Generally speaking, an EQ5 mount is not robust enough for imaging with an 8" scope. It will be OK for short exposures of bright objects (the moon, planets, maybe M42) but will struggle with any deep sky work that requires long exposures. All is not lost however! If you have a DSLR and can get pretty good polar alignment, you could mount your DSLR on the mount directly without the scope at all and use a camera lens to do some wide fields. If you remove the dovetail plate from the scope and attach it to the camera it should work fine. Try using a 50mm prime lens if you have one, or a zoom lens at about 50mm can also yield results.

Malcolm
Old 25-03-2016, 09:22 AM
doppler (Rick)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferv View Post
Also, I tried attaching my dslr to the scope using the supplies celestion t adapter and t-ring, however, I couldn't for the life of me get it to focus? Would I need to extend the field of the focus using either a barlow or tube extension?

Check to see if there is a extension tube fitted to the focusser, skywatchers come with one fitted standard for visual use, saxon might be the same? (remove any extenders, you need to get the dslr closer to get focus) If not, you should find that by using a 2X barlow your dslr will get to focus for a moon shot.
Old 25-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Re attaching a DSLR:

The Saxon and the Skywatcher are related brands.
There are similarities, but I am not sure the extent.

If the focuser is the same as Skywatcher you may be able to attach a T Ring directly within focus.

See my post #5 in the following thread:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...16#post1221416

This does not address the balance issue, but that may be overcome by more counterweights and/or sliding the OTA up or down as previously mentioned.

Even then, there is the stability question re the capacity of the mount.
Good Luck
Old 25-03-2016, 09:27 AM
Ferv (Clay)

Thanks Malcom,

I was informed that it is possible to do an above beginner level to intermediate photography with this setup. I believe it IS possible from what I've been told, however, after some research, I have found that there is an extension tube to attach to the t-piece that I need in order to achieve focus with the DSLR.

Your advice is extremely informative! Thank you!

I'm not sure if I am doing it right, but I used a compass app on my samsung to polar align to the south pole here. I was advised this is a reasonably good way to set up and polar align the mount.

I am interested in joining the Astronomical Society here. I will join once I feel confident enough to "know the basics" so to speak. I had actually heard of the site out at Heathcote. Sounds very promising.

Thanks again!

Clay
Old 25-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Ferv (Clay)

Ahh thank you guys

I have actually heard that attaching a Barlow is a good way to focus for closer objects like the planets. I will be picking one up straight away. Would a 2x or 3x Be preferred? I would hate to want to get a closer look at an object and wish there was a zoom button.

Also yes!, thank you, I just read your thread. I now understand the camera has to be CLOSER to the focus lens. I'll try that out tonight and see if I can achieve a good result and update tomorrow morning

P.S I haven't used a forum for a lot of years, and have forgot just how helpful these communities can be,

Thanks!

Clay
Old 25-03-2016, 09:41 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Clay
If it was me, I wouldn't wait to join the ASV, use the resources that they have to learn more!!

Malcolm
Old 25-03-2016, 10:35 AM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferv View Post
Also yes!, thank you, I just read your thread. I now understand the camera has to be CLOSER to the focus lens. I'll try that out tonight and see if I can achieve a good result and update tomorrow morning
I suggest you try setting up your camera in daylight, as it's MUCH easier to see what you're doing!

Point the telescope at a distant target such as a tree or building on the horizon, and then try fitting your camera and see if you can reach focus. Make a note of the set-up that works - extension tubes, focuser position, etc.

Hope this helps!
Old 25-03-2016, 08:08 PM
Ferv (Clay)

Ahh, Great idea! Setup in the daytime Thanks. and yes, I will join the ASV. From what I've heard they have an amazing amount of knowledge and resource.

And just imho, Everyone I have spoken to even so far in this field has been extremely kind and helpful. It's so nice to associate with kind people.

Cheers

Clay

First real clear night tonight, so looks like plenty of coffee and a a late bedtime