Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-02-2016, 09:50 AM
34ftdunk

photos

Hi everyone, I have a meade LX90, 8". I would like to attach my gopro to it, but I can not find an adapter let alone any info. Can some one shed some light on it for me. Tony
Old 15-02-2016, 09:11 PM
chardie (Leslie)

i have a gopro 4 silver never considered hooking it to my scope for two reasons. 1) i think its longest exposure is ten seconds which limits me to moon photos basically, not that there's anything thing wrong with that or extremely short subs not sure if ten seconds is going to catch much light
2) the gopro has an extremely wide field of view i would think that would make for a lot of vignetting.thats my 2 cents worth however dont let me rain on your parade. if you still keen one way to do it would be to buy one of those gopro alloy frames with the provision for 37mm filters on the front of it.once you have one of those it would be a matter of buying the appropriate step up or step down ring to attach to a 1.25 inch or 2 inch telescope camera adapter which in turn attaches to your telescope. that aught to do it i think. if you do go down that path i'd be interested in hearing how it all pans out for you.the only issue i can think of is whether the light will fall on the sensor properly i have some fears that light maybe focusing in front of the lens or perhaps behind the lens which would necessitate the use of some metal working skills. the gopro is pretty light depending on your manual dexterity you may be able to whip something up with some appropriately sized pvc tube and tape to see what sort of result you can obtain before you lash out with some coin

Last edited by chardie; 15-02-2016 at 09:34 PM.
Old 16-02-2016, 12:17 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

The easiest option would probably be to use a camera adapter to hold the Go-Pro up to the eyepiece - something like this:
http://www.bintel.com.au/Astrophotog...oductview.aspx

I don't know how much control over exposure etc you get on a Go-Pro - it might be easier to use a smartphone or a basic digital camera - if only to minimise the issues of vignetting that you will get with a very wide-angle lens on the Go-Pro.