Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Sounder
Way out West

Hi all.

G’day all.

Just signed up on the forums last night and thought I’d introduce myself.

I live in Ceduna, South Australia, and I’ve been interested in astronomy for years. I guess it all started with Halley’s comet in 1986.

I’ve never owned a telescope but I’ve come close to buying a cheap one once or twice. I’ve just placed an order today for a GS 8” Dobsonian and can’t wait for it to arrive.

One thing I haven’t looked much into yet is software. Is there any “essential” software that other readers would suggest?

Cheers,

Sounder
Old 21-02-2005, 06:55 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Welcome Sounder! Nice scope you have on order, a lot of the members around here have the same scope and they'll all swear by it. With regards to software, it depends on what you are after - a planeterium, guiding software, image editing (for astrophotography)? There are heaps to choose from, just tell us what your needs are, we'll be happy to help. But I would say there isn't really anything essential software wise that you would need starting out. These things I consider as "upgrades". You just need a good star map, some patience and a passion for the stars.
Old 21-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Striker (Tony)
Whats visual Astronomy

Welcome Sounder to our family Forum.

When you say software...what are you trying to find or do...meaning...what do you want out off your software.....?

Do you want a software program just to find and search the sky?
Old 21-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Jonathan

Sounder.

Good to see another South Australian sgned up to the forum. You'd have good dark skies over in Ceduna! Best of luck with the new scope.
Old 21-02-2005, 08:39 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

Welcome Sounder we seem to have a good spread of members geographically speaking and I do envy you your dark skies.

As your scope is a dob I assume you don't want guiding software, etc so a simple planitarium package would be of some use, Starry Night comes to mind as its what I use. However, if this is your first scope do yourself a favour and get a simple planisphere and a pair of 7x50 or 10x50 binoculars to learn the sky. Usually when I go out this is the first step in any viewing session to have a quick look around at what's up while waiting for the scope to cool down - takes at least 30 minutes. As well as the planisphere and binocs I would suggest a cheshire eyepiece to allow you to collimate your scope and possibly a telrad to help aim the beast at the things you find with the binocs.

In short, I think that while a planitarium software package is great, there are other things I would be spending my money on first up.

Clear skies
Old 21-02-2005, 08:49 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Howdy Sounder and welcome to our expanding family
Old 21-02-2005, 09:15 PM
jackenau

Welcome Sounder, good choice of scope for starting out with, I am sure you will get some very good views from over there. I would assume lots of dark sky and crystal clear !

Ken M
Old 21-02-2005, 10:13 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Welcome Sounder. Nice sized t'scope to start out with. A planisphere and red LED torch and binoculars are also recommended. Enjoy the sky.
ps. Didn't have to travel far for the eclipse, did you??? Lucky B.
pps. Forgot to mention a chair.
Old 22-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Mick (Michael)

Hello Sounder and welcome, yes don't pay for software you can try Cartes du Ciel if you like, it's free. Some like it some don't ,I do.
Old 22-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Sounder
Way out West

Thanks for the welcome all.

Great advice, Rob.

You're right, Rajah. I didn't have to go far at all. Watched it for a while on the front verandah, then wandered down to the foreshore with the crowds for the main event. I must admit, I wasn't too excited about it beforehand... and I was just too bloody busy in the week leading up to it with all the extra people in town. But when the moment came, it was fantastic. The most amazing thing I've ever seen. All day it was a worry that it would be obscured by the clouds, but just at the right time they parted, giving a spectacular view of the total eclipse.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Sounder
Old 22-02-2005, 12:42 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

G'day Sounder,

Welcome!

Thought I would put in my 2 bobs worth.

Buy Astronomy magazines coz they have nice simple sky maps and spend your money on a 20mm or 30mm SuperView 2" eyepiece.

You won't regret it!

p.s. And definately a red LED torch.
Old 22-02-2005, 06:24 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Sounder, to the forum!

How did you hear about us?

Congrats on ordering a great workhorse scope. Nice and portable, and still ample aperture to take in the delights above.

So jealous of your ceduna location.. Unfortunately I wasn't into astronomy during the eclipse so it didn't cross my mind to travel down there. A friend from work went, and the photos he came back with were stunning. It certainly put a seed in my mind, and I don't plan on missing the next local eclipse!

As for software, the others have said it all already. Get yourself a planisphere as the #1 priority, they're only $20. A star atlas or some sort of star-chart book with a thorough view of each constellation and the objects to see in it, would be my next buy. I can recommend the Collins one, it's quite easy to use and not expensive. If you want to spend a little more or get a more advanced one, get one with bigger pages that fold out flat. The only problem with the Collins is that the book always wants to close itself, which is annoying when you want to put it down to look through the eyepiece.

For software, as Mick said, CDC is a good start (it's free). There are more easy-to-use ones like StarryNight, but of course they come at a cost. You can download a trial edition (called the DigitalDownload) to test it out, from http://www.starrynight.com

Good luck with your new scope and I can't wait to read your first light report from those dark skies.

Hope to see you back regularly!
Old 22-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Sounder
Way out West

Hey, Iceman.

I was browsing the astronomyonline.com.au forums and came across a link to here in one of your posts.

Sounder
Old 23-02-2005, 11:40 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

hey hey!!
hows it hangin sound-man!
welcome aboard!
Old 23-02-2005, 09:20 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Front verandah.
Old 23-02-2005, 11:51 PM
quicksimon

Welcome to the forum sounder. You have ordered an awesome telescope. I've got a and 8" dob and think its fantastic. I recommend that you buy astronomy mags because the're a great read and show you whats in the sky for the month. I,ve also got starry night because it came free with a mag for 5 quid and its very handy. Clear skies
Simon
Old 24-02-2005, 10:32 AM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hey Ken don't you mean your 2 "Dobs" worth