Old 20-05-2011, 11:20 AM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

Banned Users

Hi Mike,

Just a thought, after reading this thread:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=75862

Is it possible for banned users to be prevented from reappearing on IIS under another name by using their computer's unique internet IP number?

Perhaps a black list of banned users ... they would probably have to change computers to get back in. Might slow them down a bit and save a lot of vitriol!!! Forgive the question if this is already happening behind the scenes.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 20-05-2011, 11:22 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Most people have dynamic IP addresses.
Old 20-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

And, if they do have static IP's, this would likely be one of the way the moderators chase down repeat offenders. And, isn't something that is very widely advertised. The last thing you want to do is educate these people on how to evade bans.

Best to de-educate.

Probably best to remove this thread.

H
Old 20-05-2011, 12:18 PM
lolthrash (Oliver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Most people have dynamic IP addresses.
I don't actually know how true this is regarding external IP?
Several forums I am a member of regularly enact bans of the IP address of a user, which prevents them from coming back at all (except via a proxy server, but you could always ban a massive list of proxy servers too if you liked).
Seems quite effective, was also quite effective for me when I ran a forum for a while.
Old 20-05-2011, 12:24 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolthrash View Post
I don't actually know how true this is regarding external IP?
Several forums I am a member of regularly enact bans of the IP address of a user, which prevents them from coming back at all (except via a proxy server, but you could always ban a massive list of proxy servers too if you liked).
Seems quite effective, was also quite effective for me when I ran a forum for a while.
Most people have a dynamic IP assigned by their ISP upon connection. That changes everytime they connect or power their modem. You can't effectively black list anything based on an IP address for that reason. If it was the case my life would have been much easier the past 10yrs or so with controlling spam at servers level. That's why I use DNSBL for large blocks but that's still hit and miss and a relatively gray area.
Old 20-05-2011, 12:27 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

It all sounds like secret moderators business.
Where's a "cone of silence" when you need one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (cone-of-silence-1.jpg)
26.8 KB16 views
Old 20-05-2011, 12:49 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Quite right, not something we generally go about advertising since it could potentially educate people that we don't want educated.

Very few people have static IP's these days.
Old 20-05-2011, 12:55 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

It's quite common knowlege anyway. There is a very easy way though to pinpoint the location. The ISP has the account holder details and the logs to proove it. That's how they nailed so many vuze/torrents downloads in the US last year. The Hurt Locker producers went all the way for the jugular. Subpoenaed over 5000 individuals and flogged them with massive fines. But the law is different in the states. I think under Australian privacy laws an ISP is not required to provide private details about its customer base and that's where the problem is. But it's all there and I doubt the police would be stopped from investigating this further so these people need to know they are on borrowed time. Bottom line is that they'll get them. Too late now.