Old 14-08-2017, 11:29 PM
alphamone

I have been doing late-night test runs for my eclipse photos over the past few nights (practicing changing the exposure settings and hitting the shutter button while looking at the target instead of the camera). I picked up a remote shutter release cable today, and I am going to see how it affects my timing later. This time I will also remember to take a couple of raw shots at higher exposure (after timing practice) to play around with getting earthshine. (I will be shooting raw+jpeg for the actual event, as I wont have raw editing capabilities with me during the trip)

Also, it is 32 hours til I catch the bus to Sydney, and then fly out the next day (go go 16 hour plane ride).

Sorry if the post is a mess, it is a combination of needing sleep and anticipation of my trip.
Old 15-08-2017, 03:08 AM
Protiotype (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
I don't recall the Sky View, maybe it's more recent than my last trip. The food at the Space Needle restaurant is pretty decent IIRC, but that was 10-15 years ago.

Brisbane reminds me of Seattle in a lot of ways, well, besides the weather
Yeah it appears that the observation deck was only opened for the public around 4 years ago although the building has been around since 1985: https://seattle.curbed.com/2013/7/23...w-from-the-top

A friend of mine said that he could slot right into Seattle - I get what he means now.
Old 15-08-2017, 03:24 AM
Protiotype (Ray)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamone View Post
Also, it is 32 hours til I catch the bus to Sydney, and then fly out the next day (go go 16 hour plane ride).

Sorry if the post is a mess, it is a combination of needing sleep and anticipation of my trip.
Hopefully you get some good sleep within the next 28 hours - do get it done earlier rather than later as the closer you get the less likely you'll get any sleep at all, as was my case. Be happy with dreamless dozing on a 16 hour flight if it's Economy; expect more and be disappointed - resting still is still good for the body; see if you can get your breathing down to 2 breaths per minute and have your mind wander with random imagery.

Here's my no-sleep log (times in UTC, fuzzy times in UTC+10):

2017-08-10 Thu ~5pm wake (07:00Z) (I'm an owl...); tidied house, started packing.

2017-08-11 Friday day: Rode bike to be more tired at night... (hmm....) Repacking.

Friday night: 2 hours sleep.

2017-08-12 02:20Z Depart YBBN

2017-08-13 03:45Z Arrive KSEA (after 4 hour delay out of KSFO due to a cancelled flight) - transfers were at NZAA and KSFO. Baggage collection delay due to an odd scan on my barcode and earlier flight changes through Air New Zealand. But I was happy I got it an hour after landing rather than a day later.

2017-08-13 06:30Z into room in Seattle
08:30Z sleep.

72 hours. 2 hours sleep. Other times dozing and microsleeps only. No REM sleep. 22 hours of flights (including transit) ended up being 26 hours with a 4-hour mechanical delay. 32 hours door to door.

So, in case you haven't done this before (especially with everything else lining up), I strongly recommend *not* doing last day exercise because it won't help with sleep; it'll only make for more tired legs at the airport.

Also, use the free trolleys at every opportunity if your carry on doesn't have wheels. 6.8kg over such distances adds up... People don't tend to mention these things.

And change of clothes, etc for transfers & delays. Don't forget your toothbrush (I didn't, phew)!

Interestingly, I think my terrible sleep hygiene has paid off in cancelling out any jetlag. Flying west again on the 23rd will be interesting; hopefully a night time departure with more sleep in the bank means I won't mind so much this time.

Last edited by Protiotype; 15-08-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: (Edits made to correct times and add detail.)
Old 18-08-2017, 09:31 AM
roddz (Rodd)

I'm in Casper, 4 days till the eclipse!
Old 18-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Protiotype (Ray)

Cool

Forecasts currently seem to suggest that most of the continent should have clear skies, unlike Cairns 2012!

Portland's weather has been beautiful so far, and Madras is still looking superb.
Old 18-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Not long to go now 😱😍 good luck everyone 👍👍
Old 18-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Protiotype (Ray)

Wink

Getting very exciting now. How great is it to randomly go up to nearly anyone and be able to talk about the eclipse? Most aren't totally sick of it yet (!).
Old 18-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Old 18-08-2017, 01:29 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Enjoy folks! Looking forward to hearing all the stories and seeing the images when you all get back here on the forum and at SVAC!
Old 19-08-2017, 01:44 AM
kkara4 (Krishan)

I am in Bend, OR now, arrived two days ago. Everything is very much business as usual here, walmarts fully stocked (except for the eskies...).

US Hwy 26 has been completely rekt for two days out of Prineville due to the 35K+ people trying to get to the hippy eclipse festival happening NE of there.

Today it seems much more calm, but as Friday closes and the weekend begins, every man and his dog from Portland and generally west of the cascade mountains is due to come to Madras. it will be interesting to see how much of a zoo it becomes, and whether the people numbers exceed or fall short of estimations.

I drove through Madras, it is a much smaller town than i was expecting. similar to Beaudesert in size i would say.

Weather prospects are excellent. a large wildfire is presently burning just NW of Bend, sending smoke through Bend, but wind forecasts should keep it completely away from the path of totality. No other wildfires yet in the whole of Eastern Oregon. Transparency is otherwise excellent east of Bend.

I will report back Tuesday morning (AU time). Good luck to everyone that came over!
Old 19-08-2017, 04:39 AM
glend (Glen)

Good luck, in Crazy Land, sorry but i can't get excited about yet another eclipse. Hopefully Trump doesn't take it as a sign to push the button.
Old 19-08-2017, 12:20 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Just hit Cheyenne tonight (after a few days in Denver), going up to Casper tomorrow (19th) to stay for the eclipse.

There's a lot of media on the eclipse and a fair buzz around as you talk to locals about it. There's warnings on the highway to be prepared for extra traffic.

Here in Wyoming, all hotels for over 200 miles radius are booked out for the weekend/eclipse. According to the hotel receptionist they're banning trucks/semis from the interstate highways on Monday as they're expecting so much traffic.

Should be interesting.
Old 20-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
Just hit Cheyenne tonight (after a few days in Denver), going up to Casper tomorrow (19th) to stay for the eclipse.

There's a lot of media on the eclipse and a fair buzz around as you talk to locals about it. There's warnings on the highway to be prepared for extra traffic.

Here in Wyoming, all hotels for over 200 miles radius are booked out for the weekend/eclipse. According to the hotel receptionist they're banning trucks/semis from the interstate highways on Monday as they're expecting so much traffic.

Should be interesting.
I am a day behind you Chris.
Heading to Cheyenne this afternoon and then to Casper tomorrow (might leave early tomorrow to try and avoid some of the traffic).

Eclipse weather link kindly sent to me by Phil Hart fo anyone headed to Wyoming region:
http://www.mountainweather.com/jacks...solar-eclipse/
Old 20-08-2017, 08:45 PM
alphamone

Flying out to my spot in Missouri at lunch time. Also, my US flight was fun, 6 hour takeoff delay and a diversion to phoenix Arizona for a medical emergency, we arrived 8 hours late.

Still, I have enjoyed the start of my trip, and am super hyped for tommorow. It looks like Columbia Missouri will have decent weather. The coast reports on the other hand, seem to be looking like a cloud/smoke out.
Old 21-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

We have rocked up to our destination at the Highland Camping Ground in Casper Wyoming and a small storm is currently going through right now 😱 Let's hope it moves along. The excitement is building good luck everyone 👍
Old 22-08-2017, 01:58 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

42°50'33.9"N 106°25'51.4"W

High level cirrus... 45min to go.
Old 22-08-2017, 02:01 AM
alphamone

Hazy clouds in Columbia MO, but sun is just barely visable. Gonna have to bump up the iso to get images.
Old 22-08-2017, 02:28 AM
OICURMT
Oh, I See You Are Empty!

Skies have almost cleared...

15 to go
Old 22-08-2017, 04:03 AM
alphamone

So excited after watching totality that i accidentally posted my post eclipse to the wrong thread. I was also so excired watching that i forgot about my video camera filter for a minute of totality
Old 22-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Weather at Jackson Hole was perfect.

Got some great data. a small sampler attached...jpg only at this this stage, processing RAW files will have to wait until I get back to SYD.

Traffic was however nuts after the eclipse. Glad to be back at the lodge with my feet up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (6176669008_JQ7A0312.jpg)
35.9 KB97 views