Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 13-08-2018, 08:00 PM
rowena

South America 2 Jul 2019 Total Solar Eclipse

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone here was planning on doing south america for the 2019 total solar eclipse.

I've just booked my flights over, Bne > Syd > Santiago > Lima travel through peru and then fly Arica back to Santiago and busing it up to La Serena for totality.

I've only booked flights and hotel accomodation in La Serena for 1 July to 4 July as it was cheap and has only just come available being a year out.

Any tips or tricks for south america? I know busing it will be a major component, any operators to avoid or to go with etc?

Kind of running blind going to South America but it will be an adventure!

Will be my 4th eclipse, better half and kids 2nd.

thanks
Rowena
Old 13-08-2018, 09:08 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Rowena,

I'm organising a trip for a couple of friends into the Andean foothills on the Argentinian side of the border where the weather prospects are best. The tour companies are all going to La Serena etc in Chile because there's more tourist infrastructure. If, on eclipse day, you can travel further east down the eclipse path to Vicuņa, about 65km inland, you can greatly improve your weather prospects similar to those we have in Argentina.

http://eclipsophile.com/wp-content/u.../09/Graph1.jpg

In the past, I've spent more than 8 months travelling independently around South & Central America. Fantastic place. Like anywhere, exercise caution.

Learning to speak some Spanish will help a lot. Ignore any approaches with offers that seem too good to be true. Regard anyone who flashes an ID at you and claims to be a police officer with suspicion. Police & other law enforcement officials generally don't bother the tourists except naturally at borders or airports. Steer them toward a uniformed policeman and tell them you want the uniformed policeman to check their ID. That always sends them running.

Then it all depends on your interests. So much to see. Landscapes, ancient architecture, wildlife. In Peru, Nazca Lines, Machu Picchu, Manu Biosphere Reserve, the Inca Valley around Quosco, Lake Titicaca, Floating Islands.

Don't cut your time too fine. If you're bussing from Peru to Central Chile, check timetables carefully, leave what you think is plenty of time, then double that, some parts of Peru/Chile buses on run routes every second day. In Peru, watch your belongings on the trains and buses.

I can suggest a fantastic way to get overland to La Serena Chile from Peru with fantastic views and adventure but it will take several weeks.

From Quosco, Train it down to Puno. Tour out to see the floating Islands of the Uros peoples on Lago Titicaca. They weave the islands they live on, houses, boats out of tortora reeds that they harvest from the lake shore. Continue into Bolivia and to La Paz. After La Paz Bus south to Uyuni via Potosi then take a Jewels of Bolivia tour through the high altitude lakes of the Atacama Desert. You can organise to be met at the Chilean Border in the Atacama desert and transported by Minibus through to San Pedro De Atacama. Spend a few days decompressing in San Pedro then shuttle through to Calama and fly to Santiago then on to Serena.

Personally, I prefer to do it the other way round, start with the solar eclipse so that travel delays can't cause you to miss the eclipse, then travel the other direction after the eclipse.

Because travel delays, flight delays are common, do all your flights on one ticket, one airline. Your international luggage allocation will carry through otherwise it drops to 15kg or 20kg on domestic flights. LATAM flies from Australia to South America and has an extensive network of flights all through South America. If you miss a flight because of a flight delay, it's their problem.

For example, I've found a single airfare with LATAM that will take us SYD-BUE-Cordoba-ground travel to the eclipse-Cordoba-Rio-Iguazu Falls-Santiago-Calama-ground travel Atacama-Santiago-Isla Pasqua-SYD.

Have a great time.

Joe
Old 14-08-2018, 03:57 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

This is an amazing part of the world !
I've been there long ago (1989, 1992) and did bussing all the way Salta-Mendoza-Santago-San Pedro in just 2 days, because all direct buses from Salta/Jujuy to the other side of the Andes (Antofagasta as gateway to San Pedro) were fully booked, so we made a detour of 3000km.
But it was awesome !

The eclipse path will cross the La Silla observatory as well.
Old 14-08-2018, 05:40 PM
rowena

Thanks Joe, exactly the info i needed!!
Tickets already booked for flight, on one ticket too! Qantas was by far the cheapest coming in at $1320 a adult, $980 a child, which carries through baggage allowance. Multicity on their web site is easy to use if you know how to use it to find the cheapest deal.

Where planning on back packing it this time, so no push suit cases, due to the amount of walking i expect we will be doing and i am going to restrict myself to just my one camera body and 2 lenses at most! I'll take my smaller tripod, which should fit in, and this will reduce my weight down by not taking my 1kg+ 100-400mm lens... Its my 4th eclipse so all I'm going to aim for this time is some wide angle photos and more observation time!

Even going light on clothing with 3 pairs of jeans/shirts at most. Good winter coat and thats it.

definitely will do lima up to cuzco run, bus and possibly internal flight as well. Just got to sit down with better half and figure it out. More concerned on dates lining up right and allowing time for things to go wrong. Plan on trying to do bookings now too, given this is a high tourist area and with a impending eclipse it will be crazy busy! I have given myself a extra day from Arica to Santiago flight, given there is only 1 direct flight early morning.

I wasn't sure on driving in Chile, but having a car in la serena would be handy if it does cloud over. I'll see what buses are around and what my options are.