Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 2.29 average.
Old 16-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Sol-Skysailor (Sol)

Hi, Thanks cfn and Phil for checking.

Didn't use to work; always back to default.
But just now checked, works now.
Although after bookmarking (each with its proper address on the address bar in the same way as yours)
and then calling each up, now all of them (each with its correct location on the cfn screen) have just
http://www.cloudfreenight.com/meteogram.view
on the address bar and the same Cloud Free Night -Meteogram.... at the tab.
Hope this description makes sense.
I can work with this, it's ok, it just seems odd.

Cheers
Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphart View Post
You can already do this? Here's my bookmarked URL for my place:

http://www.cloudfreenight.com/index.php?fuseaction=meteogram.book mark&city=Mount%20Glasgow

Phil
Old 16-07-2016, 09:34 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

The location selected stays in memory until you close your browser or explicitly change it. The session is shared within the tabs or other browser windows. So this is why you can't have multiple locations selected in one session.

PS: I thought I'd expand on this as not to confuse anybody. It is expected and it is the default behaviour of your browser. When you open your browser a session is started.

Your location doesn't change when you navigate from the meteogram page to the map or satellite page. This is what is called a session variable. If you open another tab within the same browser window then the same original session is shared with the newly opened tab. So if you navigate to a new location from any of the open tabs, it will also change your location in the other tabs. If you have n tabs opened they all will show the same location. The session will time out eventually so your location will defaults back to Melbourne/Victoria if you leave the page unattended. You'll have to use the bookmark again.

If I understand you correctly what you are asking is to have three separate locations in memory within one session. Currently not supported but we will definitely look into it as a feature after we conduct the survey if there is enough interest.

Last edited by cfn; 17-07-2016 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 17-07-2016, 08:47 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

New Locations

A few more meteogram locations were added.

NSW: Parkes
VIC: Wonthaggi, St Arnaud, Latrobe Valley, Alexandra.
Old 17-07-2016, 01:18 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Location, Regions & Geocoding.

Some fairly significant changes done this week-end to CFN. Please let us know of any issues.

First the map types menu is shorter containing only the most used types. All the other map types are now accessible in a popup window by clicking the button "Other Map Types". This became necessary as we have been increasing the number of buttons over time and will allow for future expansion.

Finally you can now also select your state/region, location and latitude and longitude from any page: meteogram, map or satellite.

Clicking on the Australian map icon on the top left of your screen or the "Location" / "Region" buttons from the side menus will open a popup window.

The postcode/suburb search now supports direct entry of known astronomy sites (e.g. crago, wiruna, etc...).

The latitude and Longitude fields will display the values of the latest GPS use or location selected (red pin). You can enter a set of latitude/longitude in decimal degrees as a manual input as well if you wish to override these values.

The current selected meteogram location is also displayed with a link on top of that popup window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (map_types.gif)
159.9 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (locations.jpg)
150.0 KB24 views
Old 17-07-2016, 03:54 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Really appreciate all the effort put into this. Just no other way to use ACCESS otherwise.

Is there any way to bookmark specific settings? It seems strange having to re-specify location etc each time through.

I still can't get my head around having the shortest time periods furtherest away from NOW. Would suggest 3, then 6, then, 12 etc away from centre, with arrows replaced by + or -

An animation function to advance 3hrs at a time in a loop like the old ACCESS pages would be extremely helpful.

Feel like I'm nitpicking about the golden egg though TBH.
Old 17-07-2016, 04:16 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Is there any way to bookmark specific settings? It seems strange having to re-specify location etc each time through.
You can already bookmark your preferred location.

Quote:
I still can't get my head around having the shortest time periods furtherest away from NOW. Would suggest 3, then 6, then, 12 etc away from centre, with arrows replaced by + or -
No need to use the buttons. Just slide the map sideways.

Quote:
An animation function to advance 3hrs at a time in a loop like the old ACCESS pages would be extremely helpful.
You can animate the forecast map already and it is advancing in increments of 3h. More info here.
Old 18-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfn View Post
No need to use the buttons. Just slide the map sideways.
This assumes the site is being viewed on a mobile device - not always the case.
Old 18-07-2016, 07:23 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
This assumes the site is being viewed on a mobile device - not always the case.
Touch events work also on any desktop PCs equipped with a mouse or a touch screen monitor.
Old 18-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Redshift13 (Rohan)

Quote:
Touch events work also on any desktop PCs equipped with a mouse or a touch screen monitor.
That's really good info to know (although not totally intuitive for laptop/desktop users I'm guessing).
Thanks Robert - keep up the great work.
Old 18-07-2016, 07:36 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift13 View Post
That's really good info to know (although not totally intuitive for laptop/desktop users I'm guessing).
The cursor shape should change on a desktop computer when you hover above an area that has a touch event so there is a visual feedback. All mobile touch events degrade gracefully to mouse events on desktop computers. Any issues let us know.
Old 23-07-2016, 03:17 PM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb New Meteogram Locations

The following meteogram locations were added to our database.

VICTORIA:
Gisborne, Porepunkah, Torquay, Warragul.

QUEENSLAND:
Gold Coast, Mackay, Rockhampton.

WESTERN AUSTRALIA:
Katanning.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA:
Victor Harbor.
Old 19-08-2016, 05:50 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb New Forecast maps

As of this morning CFN has new forecast maps with a better use of screen space and extended boundaries. The wind maps were optimised as not to display wind vectors in areas of still air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (cct.jpg)
198.5 KB30 views
Click for full-size image (rhum2m.jpg)
193.6 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (wind300.jpg)
196.8 KB31 views
Old 16-09-2016, 06:59 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Lightbulb Higher Resolution Forecast Maps

It's been a while since last post and there's been a lot of development on myCFN and Cloud Free Night in general.

Some of you might have noticed the higher resolution forecast maps on CFN this morning.
These maps are based on the ACCESS-City model and are available for selected regions (i.e. VT - Victoria/Tasmania, SY - Sydney, BN - Brisbane, PH - Perth and AD - Adelaide up to 36h. Then the maps revert to ACCESS-R up to 72h then ACCESS-G from 72 up to 120h.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (access_bn.jpg)
194.0 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (access_ph.jpg)
199.4 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (access_sy.jpg)
198.1 KB33 views
Click for full-size image (access_ta.jpg)
197.3 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (access_vt.jpg)
199.0 KB30 views

Last edited by cfn; 16-09-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Clarification of ACCESS models
Old 16-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Looks like it is coming along nicely. Now only if CFN would take clear sky requests
Old 16-09-2016, 08:19 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Looks like it is coming along nicely. Now only if CFN would take clear sky requests
Well... we're all volunteers and astro photographers ourselves so we're all in the same boat unfortunately and lately let's say that the conditions were more than ideal to test and debug the radars implementation. But if you happen to know where to submit clear skies requests please do share, we're all ears.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:34 AM
Kunama

Like the site but I would really like the ACT region map to place ACT and its environs more centrally on the map........
Old 16-09-2016, 08:40 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Like the site but I would really like the ACT region map to place ACT and its environs more centrally on the map........
Hi Matt, regions were designed to maximise coverage in overlaps between states. ACT is a state but it is embedded in the NSW/SEAUS regions and accounts for a very small surface of the lot. If ACT were to be centered on the map you'd duplicate large parts of VIC and miss out on parts of Northern NSW as well as SEQLD. What do you have in mind?
Old 16-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Kunama

Quote:
Hi Matt, regions were designed to maximise coverage in overlaps between states. ACT is a state but it is embedded in the NSW/SEAUS regions and accounts for a very small surface of the lot. If ACT were to be centered on the map you'd duplicate large parts of VIC and miss out on parts of Northern NSW as well as SEQLD. What do you have in mind?
I find I use the VIC Region map as it shows the ACT and its surrounding areas better than the ACT or NSW one which cut of the lower 1/3 of ACT. The Vic one does the job well though.
Old 16-09-2016, 08:55 AM
cfn
Cloud Free Night Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I find I use the VIC Region map as it shows the ACT and its surrounding areas better than the ACT or NSW one which cut of the lower 1/3 of ACT. The Vic one does the job well though.
Yes - ACT and most of southern NSW will show up in the VIC maps. If you're located in the southern area of the ACT then it is your best choice. To make a specific map for ACT would require considerable additional resources, currently not within our budget. If support increases in future we'll be able to extend coverage and provide additional services. Our only limitation at the moment is CPU power and we have to work within very tight boundaries.
Old 16-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Phil Hart

Worth pointing out that the domains of the ACCESS-City models are set by the Bureau. While CFN can crop in from that for the maps, we can't expand out to beyond that.

Phil