Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

DSI Pro Mono

I have been having a few issues with my DSI Pro Mono camera where the PC sometimes will and then wont recognise the camera, sometimes (mostly) while attempting to image. At first I thought it was just a cable but have changed the cable and still get the same response. If I jiggle the cable I can force the issue so I have now come to the conclusion I have a dry/broken solder joint in the camera itself, where the USB cable plugs into the camera.

As anyone pulled one of these apart?
What if anything should I watch out for?

While it is apart I might get the back machined to get rid of the fingers and install a peltier device to cool the camera.

Adrian
Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
marki
Waiting for next electron

Adrian I have taken one of these cameras (DSI II pro) apart when fitting a outback cooler. There is a thin O ring that runs around the front part of the case that is a pain to re-seat. I used it for about six months but When I took the peltier back off to sell it the camera never worked again, don't know why as I was extremely careful but it ended up in the bin (I also had the version 1 pro stop working for no apparent reason (new) and it's replacement stopped working about 6 months later). Peltier cooling did little to improve the camera besides allowing a constant temp to be maintained (easier for darks) but you cannot get it cold (e.g. below the dew point) as they are not sealed and will ice up. I think they are better left alone as they seem from my experience to be very delicate. That said I had one of the original OSC versions that ran without fault for 3 years.

Mark
Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

Well I have to open it to fix the USB problem so I will be careful. I can't afford a new camera just yet.

Adrian
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 PM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

Well the DSI is now working the way it should(?). Can now move the USB cable anyway you like and it still works. One of the pins (+5v) had come adrift. Slack soldering.

Adrian