Old 16-09-2008, 08:25 PM
leon

Wow What a Price Hike

Hi Guys,

I love Canon Lens, as probably we all do, and I tend to keep track of what is available and where one can get the best deal, so to speak.

Well just out of interest I was looking at some Canon Super Telephoto Lenses yesterday from a very good supplier here in OZ, and clicked on the site today as well.

Yesterday a 500mm F/4.0L was $7559.00, today it has jumped to $8690.00, that is a price hike of nearly $1100.00 in one day, and this applied to all there stock.

Do you reckon these adjustments in price caused by the USD, or the way the stock market behaves, not that I know anything about stocks.

But that is a huge increase in 24 hours.

Leon
Old 16-09-2008, 08:52 PM
HCR32 (Peter)

Yeah the usd has steamed ahead of the aud but Ive been watching the yen and it to has pulled away. Im not to sure but if the lense has a made in Japan stamped on it youll find that maybe thats the cause of the price increase.
Old 16-09-2008, 08:57 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Yes, happy exchange rate days are over for now

I got some stuff from Japan and USA in the good times, but still have one Televue eyepiece to go - drat
Old 16-09-2008, 09:06 PM
leon

Thanks guys, yes, I did expect that this may have been the case, ah well it obviously dosen't pay to hesitate.

Leon
Old 16-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Just wait, it will come back again once the market settles.
Old 16-09-2008, 09:46 PM
h0ughy (David)

Leon I am so so soooo happy I bought what I did when I did (at or above 92 cents in the dollar) now it is a dismal 78 cents, so a 15% increase in imports is always on the cards
Old 19-09-2008, 05:36 PM
bluescope
I've got a Sirius eye !

I got a quote on a WO Reducer the other day ... price is about to jump 20% or more according to the supplier ! So I'm glad I got my FLT110 when I did as well.

Old 19-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Ian Robinson

I'll be holding off for a while on that EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS and 2x Type II teleconverter.
The new 2" filters (DSF , UHC) and 77mm LPF, and 2" newt easy guider can also wait for now too.

The money set aside.

Don't think we'll have to wait long the way things are likely to go with economy in the USA which is only going to get worse for the foreseeable future.

I spotted what looked to be an outstandind Ebay deal on the above lens last night .... under 1000USD , the catch was the person claiming to have some of them was asking for electronic funds transfer, so I queried him (deks24) on paying by PayPal (PayPal transactions have up to 2000 USD FRAUD PROTECTION) , BUT he gave a lame excuse why he will not accept PayPal , only electronic funds transfer
Quote:
Hi

I am authorized reseller from Canon and all the items i sell are comming with warranty 1 yr international. The items are sealed. The packages will be shiped from my shop in Slovakia, Bratislava and i prefer as method of payment bank transfer.

I have another 3 lenses for sale, same model and if you are interested in a buy it now price pls contact me by email charles.nicky@yahoo.com if you need more information.

I will take for this auction only bank transfer as method of payment beacause for the moment i can't use Paypal due a opened dispute to a buyer ( i received a payment from a stolen account)

I am offering free shipping within Europe. The delivery time is about 5-7 working days, normal delivery.

Regards

- deks24
Ebay Feedback can easy be falsified from what I have read.

NO WAY JOSE !!!! so I never bothered bidding on it. Sounds a bit tricky to me , and I can't afford to throw away that kind of money and never ever see the goods. I certainly will not emailing and dealing with this trickster outside of EBAY/PAYPAL. I might risk it for a local purchase where there is a good chance to catching and prosecuting anyone who tries a fraudulent transaction, but not overseas unless I am confident the seller is bonefide.

If it's too good to be true , it is.

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 19-09-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 20-09-2008, 02:47 AM
GeoffW1 (Geoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post

I certainly will not emailing and dealing with this trickster outside of EBAY/PAYPAL.

If it's too good to be true , it is.
Certainly agree, Ian, even in Aust. to some extent. EBay sellers have issues just now with Paypal, and some are testing the level of buyers' trust in other channels, but I would, like you, never use anything else on eBay for significant amounts of my hard-earned.

Even then I have linked Paypal to a credit card, not my bank account.

Cheers
Old 20-09-2008, 05:51 AM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

I've been looking at a lathe and milling machine from a well respected Aus machinery retailer. Prices on their web site jumped 5% yesterday and they must have these items in stock.

And, like touching the scope can cause copious cloud, when I look at a major purchase I can drop the dollar. Maybe I should have warned everyone.
Old 20-09-2008, 06:38 AM
leon

Yep, If it sounds the slightest bit dodgy, leave it alone, I reckon.

Leon
Old 20-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post
Certainly agree, Ian, even in Aust. to some extent. EBay sellers have issues just now with Paypal, and some are testing the level of buyers' trust in other channels, but I would, like you, never use anything else on eBay for significant amounts of my hard-earned.

Cheers
So is my PayPal account - actually it's linked to something even better - a Debit Card , and I only use it for purchasing through PayPal and never put into it more funds than needed for the transaction.
Old 20-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodog View Post
I've been looking at a lathe and milling machine from a well respected Aus machinery retailer. Prices on their web site jumped 5% yesterday and they must have these items in stock.
There is word for that , and lots of places do it , even on stock thy've had for yonks.
Old 20-09-2008, 01:02 PM
leon

Yea try the petrol stations, they had 20,000 liters in their storage tank on Monday, bought at x cents per liter, the oil goes up overseas by a dollar a barrel on Tuesday, then suddenly that same petrol they paid x cents per liter for jumps to xx cents per liter.

The name I think you are looking for Ian is, Bloody Robbers, I could do better but I can't swear on this site.

Leon
Old 20-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Yea try the petrol stations, they had 20,000 liters in their storage tank on Monday, bought at x cents per liter, the oil goes up overseas by a dollar a barrel on Tuesday, then suddenly that same petrol they paid x cents per liter for jumps to xx cents per liter.

The name I think you are looking for Ian is, Bloody Robbers, I could do better but I can't swear on this site.

Leon
Know what you mean , I saw the same here in Newcastle when I went into town , price was about 10c a litre cheaper, half an hour later , it had jumped, not just one servo - EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE ONE !!!

The word is price gouging.
Old 20-09-2008, 04:27 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
The word is price gouging
You're right there, look at the state the world monetary system is in. Start with the banks, they've been doing dodgy deals, basically gambling and they've been caught out, their answer, put up interest rates over and above the reserve bank increases so they can legally steal back what they have lost. Makes me madder than hell.

Regarding the $US, financial commentators are saying the US dollar is simply valued too high.
Old 20-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
You're right there, look at the state the world monetary system is in. Start with the banks, they've been doing dodgy deals, basically gambling and they've been caught out, their answer, put up interest rates over and above the reserve bank increases so they can legally steal back what they have lost. Makes me madder than hell.

Regarding the $US, financial commentators are saying the US dollar is simply valued too high.
And the US government is stupid enough to bail the idiots out, taking the bad debts and leaving the cream for the so called free market .... where's the sense in that - it's just transferring the high risk - unperforming debts to the tax payers , while letting the people who generated the mess in the first place off scot free to keep on doing the dodgey deals .... those big financials should have been allowed to fail rather than being bailed out.

I am so glad I payed out my home mortgage in 2000 and no longer need worry about finding money every month to meet ever increasing mortgage repayments - which went up very quickly (very next day or the same day when official interest rates went up , but were very very slow to respond to reductions in official interest rates.
Old 21-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Ian Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW1 View Post

Cheers
Got this in the email today re the dodgey lens on ebay that I mentioned :
Quote:
Hello

Our records indicate that you recently received an email from deks24 through eBay's email system and that it may contain a fraudulent offer to purchase or sell an item off the eBay site.

* Please consider the following safety tips before you act on this email:

- Do not respond to the sender if the message is an offer to buy or sell an item outside the eBay website. This type of offer is against eBay policy and if the transaction takes place, it will not be eligible for buyer protection.

- If you received what looks like a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on and it's appearing in My Messages it may not be legitimate. Real Second Chance Offers appear in My Messages with a blue background and the subject line 'eBay Second Chance Offer for Item ...'.

- Never pay for your eBay items using instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram.

* If you already sent payment for an item that was bought outside the eBay website, or if you shipped an item to a fraudulent buyer, we suggest you take the following steps:

- Contact the payment service you used to make the purchase and ask if they provide consumer protection in cases of online fraud. If you shipped an item to a fraudulent buyer, contact the carrier you used.

- Contact the local authorities in the area where the seller/buyer resides.

* Please also take the time to provide more information on the transaction bought/sold outside of eBay. The information you provide will help us work with law enforcement if an investigation occurs. Go to the following page and choose 'Item Bought Outside of eBay' or 'Item Sold Outside of eBay' and follow the instructions.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tp/isg...-non-ebay.html

Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

eBay International AG
I've not bid on anything for months and so nothing about any secondchance offers, this has to be the 70-200 f2.8 L IS that is claimed to be in Slovakia that I smelt a rat on.

Last edited by Ian Robinson; 21-09-2008 at 01:06 PM.