Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 27-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Mirror Lock-up on Canon 1100D, Does it exist?

Hi all,

Been trying to find this info out but cannot find any definite answers, some people say it's in the custom function 8, others say it's on page 120 something of the manual... I cannot locate any definite answer, does the Canon 1100D have Mirror Lock-up?
Old 27-10-2013, 08:58 AM
CapturingTheNight (Greg)

After a quick two minute Google search it appears that the 1100D does not have a true mirror lock function. The work around would be to activate the Live View function and then take your image(s)
Old 27-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Yes I saw those googled finds also, was the first place I checked actually. There were many conflicting posts in DPReview saying it was on various pages in the manual and Custom Functions, it appeared many were getting confused between the T3 and T3i. I just wanted clarification from 1100D owners it was indeed true that it has no function. Although I see there is a possible work around in BYE using the Virtual Mirror Lock function, has anyone tried this? I believe this uses the technique of enabling liveview to raise the mirror. I know its not completely necessary, but nice to know it's there if ever needed.

Thanks Greg for your reply
Old 29-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Phil Hart

I've taken shots of the moon using Liveview with my 1100D on my Tak FS-102 scope. Works fine.

Phil
Old 29-10-2013, 09:57 PM
pluto (Hugh)
Astro Noob

I think I read something about Magic Lantern providing mirror lockup on some cameras, might be worth reading up if that feature is available on ML for the 1100D.
Old 29-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Thanks Phil and Hugh. I will look into ML. I have just placed an order for a Canon 1100D, can't go wrong @ $328 from Harvey Norman. Good cheap camera. I look forward to using Liveview, my old 400D doesn't have it so it's something new for me.
Old 29-10-2013, 10:23 PM
tilbrook@rbe.ne (Justin Tilbrook)
JHT

Hi Andrew,

The 1100D has mirror lock up for cleaning the sensor.What's your reason for wanting lock up when imaging?

Cheers,

Justin.
Old 30-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

I use it on the 400D, but I think with the newerer cameras the shutted has less clunk to it, so I might not need it at all... From looking around it looks like I might not need it. I think BYEOS has a virtual mirror lock function but that enables live view, something I'd like to avoid during imaging.
Old 31-10-2013, 07:38 AM
Phil Hart

If you're trying to take even moderately high res shots of the Moon or anything else at focal lengths greater than 500mm (perhaps even less) with exposures in the range 1/250 sec to ~2 secs then Mirror Lockup will for sure reduce vibration which will affect your image.

For very fast exposures (eg 1/1000) then the vibration is frozen by the shutter speed and for very long exposures it becomes irrelevant unless your mounting is poor and vibration bad.