Old 19-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Paul Haese

Shapley 1

As they always say proof is in the pudding, or is that in the eating?

After the drama's I have had in the last 12 months with the AG12 this is the first image I that I can say is what I expected to produce when I bought this scope. There are still some minor issues that need to be eliminated and very soon I will be using the repaired corrector thanks to Stefan but this is a pretty reasonable image of this target.

Shapley 1 is a true torus planetary nebula. It is facing us square on to our position. It contains a rather faint outer halo which is also quite challenging to capture.

The image contains 620 minutes of Ha and 380 minutes of OIII data. It also contains luminance and RGB data. It am going to try to capture more OIII data to bring out the halo better. Mike Sidonio's image had much more narrow band data which brought out the halo. My impatience with the weather has resulted in my processing the data before I should have done so.

Click here for larger image.

I have supplied a full resolution image with a very slight crop to show the corners on a scope that has a proper corrector installed. By way of comparison I have included a link of my previous effort with the GSO truss Newtonian here. Clearly the latest image is an improvement over the previous one and would suggest this scope is going to produce excellent images once finally dialed in correctly.

Edit: I have now added a further 8.5 hours of OIII to the image which shows the halo/bowshock better. Also provided another image for comparison purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Shapley 1 Ha OIII LRGB 620 380 90 80 80 80.jpg)
90.8 KB252 views
Click for full-size image (Shapley 1 Ha OIII LRGB 620 890 90 80 80 80.jpg)
85.7 KB159 views

Last edited by Paul Haese; 24-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Old 19-06-2019, 09:42 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Very good result there Paul and much better than your GSO effort and yes you are just starting to reveal the very faint outer bow shock...it is FAINT!

Although I am sure you are still feeling disappointed, you must feel somewhat relieved to see good data finally coming from the new scope?

Mike
Old 19-06-2019, 09:46 PM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

Gee whiz,what a fascinating PN with those concentric layers. The field is looking nice and flat across the image. A very nice result Paul.
Old 20-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Wow! That is a beautiful rendition, nice star colour too!
Old 20-06-2019, 03:17 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Really nice Paul, there is always that temptation to process before you've collected all of the data you want when the weather isn't great

You appear to be getting really good stars across your frame now though!
Old 20-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Very good result there Paul and much better than your GSO effort and yes you are just starting to reveal the very faint outer bow shock...it is FAINT!

Although I am sure you are still feeling disappointed, you must feel somewhat relieved to see good data finally coming from the new scope?

Mike
Thanks Mike. Yep that bow shock is very faint. I might double the amount I have collected and see how that lands. This is one nice aspect of this scope, it is fast, I see why you were excited about now.

Yeah the disappointment is still there but finally getting results is easing that now. I am also looking forward to seeing how much of a difference Stefan's workmanship will make to the Wynne now too. If that allows me to use a larger sensor I'll be very happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Really nice Paul, there is always that temptation to process before you've collected all of the data you want when the weather isn't great

You appear to be getting really good stars across your frame now though!
Thanks Colin, I usually process out the detail layers and never the colour, so as to prevent me taking it any further.

Yeah nice stars all the way out but not always. I have noted I get some distortion below 55 degrees and think this is the secondary slightly moving. Time to apply a bit move silicone to reduce the movement. It is most likely just movement in the microns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
Wow! That is a beautiful rendition, nice star colour too!
Thanks Josh, I do like the star colour that is produced by these coatings. Very little manipulation at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
Gee whiz,what a fascinating PN with those concentric layers. The field is looking nice and flat across the image. A very nice result Paul.
Thanks Rodney, the interesting thing is there a many of these little objects out there. Lots to image, not all of them as nice as this though.
Old 20-06-2019, 11:59 PM
willik (Willik)

Very unusual image looks great not easy target.
Martin
Old 21-06-2019, 07:15 AM
rogerg (Roger)

A fantastic image of a nice planetary. Great detail nd colour.

I haven't been around much so haven't heard of your AG12 issues, perhaps I'll have to do some digging in past posts on the forum to have a look, as I've often considered an AG12 or AG16 as my next scope.

Regards,
Roger.
Old 21-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by willik View Post
Very unusual image looks great not easy target.
Martin
Thanks Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
A fantastic image of a nice planetary. Great detail nd colour.

I haven't been around much so haven't heard of your AG12 issues, perhaps I'll have to do some digging in past posts on the forum to have a look, as I've often considered an AG12 or AG16 as my next scope.

Regards,
Roger.
Hi Roger, you'll find a review and a few other threads on what has transpired with this scope. Save your money and go to AG Optical or check out Hercules Newtonians. You'll likely get better customer service and a better finished scope. AG optical have a fast scope called a convergent series, it is f5 and reasonably priced. All their scopes have good reviews on CN, so it should be a good deal.
Old 23-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

A very very nice shot Paul. It must be a satisfying feeling to be imaging with such capable telescope, after so much energy and time you had to invest into tracking down and fixing unexpected issues.

The new image clearly went much deeper - I look forward to more of your great photos of unfamiliar gems
Old 23-06-2019, 07:27 PM
topheart

Excellent! Sharp and detailed.
Cheers,
Tim
Old 24-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks Suavi and Tim for you comments.

I have added a further 8.5 hours of OIII data to the image now which shows the halo/Bowshock better. You can see some separation around parts of it now.
Old 25-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Wonderful.

The depth is magnificent; the stars are pin-point, and the resultant nebular detail extraordinary.

Beautifully acquired and processed.
Old 25-06-2019, 11:25 AM
beren

Well done fantastic image