Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 24-03-2008, 06:46 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Thinking about buying my first imaging set up, what would you recomend?

Hi.

I've just bought an HEQ5 mount and currently have a Meade 125etx on it. I'm going to be upgrading shortly to a Meade 10" LX200 or something similar. However before I do that I'd like to try my hand at a bit of photography and was wondering what you though would be the best place to start.

I live in the inner west of Sydney, so I have extreme light pollution where I live.

I was thinking of a DSLR camera so that It could double as my everyday camera, so any recommendations in that directions would be great.

My budget would be around the 1k mark. What would you suggest.

Thanks

Last edited by White Rabbit; 24-03-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 24-03-2008, 07:31 PM
leon

Well I could help you out, have a look at the one that is on offer in the for sale threads, Canon 30D as new. it will do both jobs for you as well.

Leon
Old 24-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Zuts

Hi,

Most people would recomend some sort of DSLR. $1k would get you a new Canon 400 D body. This is a great camera, I have one and it produces good astro photo's.

However I wont recommend this. If i were you I would look around for a modded 350D. A modded camera has had the original canon filter removed and replaced with either a clear or UV/IR filter which allows Ha light to get through. This would provide far for flexibility for Astro photos, though be a pain to use for normal daylight photography (though it can be done). Also by buying an older camera you will be able to use software such as DSLR focus.

If you want a completely non-boring recomendation look for a second hand SBIG ST7 or ST8. There is one here in the ice in space classifieds, though a parallel port version. One of these cameras would give you self guiding, good since you have an EQ5 and will maybe struggle with two scopes and two cameras. It also provides regulated cooling. Of course you wont have the megapixels of a DSLR but will have a 'real fair dinkum astro camera.

Paul
Old 24-03-2008, 07:50 PM
h0ughy (David)

the 10" will be too heavy for the mount. get a 8" gso dob and rings, and a orion 80 scope from bintel as a guide scope

219 for guide scope and get a extension piece to get focus
Guan Sheng GS-600 8"
200mm x 800mm on SV1 from andrews
$499.00 AUD
keep the second mount may come in handy

so i might spend 718 dollars, then get a qguider for 300 dollars
so there just over a grand

there are better ways, but this is just one

then buy leons 30d and a baader mpcc and a 2" baader cls filter and the list goes on.....................into the hole of no return
Old 24-03-2008, 08:42 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Thanks guys.

First off, Leon, I'd love to buy your camera but I'm not quite in the market ATM having just bought the mount, so I'm just starting to do some research on the subject, and I plan to take my time . BTW what in your opinion would be the diffence between buying the 30D and 400D. I've been looking at the 400D, and I like what I see for the price. I'm looking at buying the body only and not all the bells and whistles. My partners dad is a photographer so I should be able to pick up some cheap lenses from him, apparently...

Houghy.

The LX200R comes in at about 12.7kg and the mount says that the weight capacity for the mount is 13.5kg. If you add the weight of the camera that should fall within the weight limits, no?
As I said I live in the inner west of sydney so I'm not expeting to do 5 hour exposures, surely the 10" scope is ok for the mount. Please let me know where my thinking is in error.

Thanks
Sandy
Old 24-03-2008, 08:45 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Thanks guys.

First off, Leon, I'd love to buy your camera but I'm not quite in the market ATM having just bought the mount, so I'm just starting to do some research on the subject, and I plan to take my time . BTW what in your opinion would be the diffence between buying the 30D and 400D. I've been looking at the 400D, and I like what I see for the price. I'm looking at buying the body only and not all the bells and whistles. My partners dad is a photographer so I should be able to pick up some cheap lenses from him, apparently...

Houghy.

The LX200R comes in at about 12.7kg and the mount says that the weight capacity for the mount is 13.5kg. If you add the weight of the camera that should fall within the weight limits, no?
As I said I live in the inner west of sydney so I'm not expeting to do 5 hour exposures, surely the 10" scope is ok for the mount. Please let me know where my thinking is in error.

Thanks
Sandy
well i was told dont exceed 2/3 weight capacity of the mount for astro photography use? i tend to beleive this, jmo
Old 24-03-2008, 09:17 PM
danielsun
Canon collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
Thanks guys.

Houghy.

Thanks
Sandy
Sandy, I have to agree with Houghy, I have the HEQ5 PRO and I have just mounted a 8" x1000 f5 reflector with a 70mm guide scope and it totals 11 kg and that is definitely about the limit.
Don't forget that if you get into the serious side of imaging you will eventually want to mount a guide scope too.

Cheers Daniel.
Old 25-03-2008, 09:29 AM
JohnH
Member # 159

Sandy, the DSLR is a poor match to the ETX125 that you have at the moment, the fl of that scope is 1905mm iirc and you will be limited to very short exposures (<30s) as you will be at 0.62 arc" per pixel with a 350 worse with a 400. If you are after DSOs as opposed to planetary images (and DSLRs are not the best for the latter) then you should aim for about 1-2 arc" per pixel for best results.

For a bit of fun in the short term have you thought about a webcam - perhaps you could get the QHY5 or one of the variants and use that with the 125 for some lunar/planetary imaging? With an FR this is sensitive enough for the brighter DSOs as well and will serve as a guide camera once you have your main rig choices finalised.

If DSO work is going to be your thing then a shorter FL is a good place to start, a scope like the 8" Vixen RS200 or similar seems (as per Houghy's note) a good match to the camera and mount but you will need a coma corrector. Maybe add an ED80 type as your guide scope and you can image with either scope using the DSLR.

I believe modded is the way to go if you possibly can, my 20d is not modded and some of the dimmer emission nebs just fail to make it through the sky glow, finally as you are in bright city lights you will want an UHC filter.

My 2c anyway.
Old 25-03-2008, 09:56 AM
leon

Sandy, In all honesty although the 30 D is a fine Camera, and you have a choice between the 30D and the 400D I would also pick the 400D, I know this dosen't help my sales pitch, but that is the way it is.

Leon
Old 25-03-2008, 12:04 PM
tornado33

Hold off tuill the 450D comes out, its Live View will be a great aid in focusing.
Scott