Old 26-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Zuts

Hi Guys,

Well the SBIG arrived, 8 days by Canada Post is not too bad. It looks secure inside the Pelican case but i havn't fired it up yet.

Paul
Old 26-02-2008, 07:19 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Fantastic, Paul. I look forward to the first light!
Old 26-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Fantastic, Paul. I look forward to the first light!
Thanks m8,

I will be trying it out in the backyard first as there seems to be heaps to work out. Then off to the park where I actually can see the sky for a shot at the horsey.

It's quite exciting getting a new toy

Paul
Old 26-02-2008, 08:28 AM
gbeal

Congrats.
I have been further procrastinating about returning to mono, and nearly exchanged yesterday, to find the mono package I was after had been split up. This has effectively knocked me to my senses, and I will carry on using the ST2000XCM, it really is good.
Try some Ha from home, especially if it as light polluted as you suggest, you may be surprised.
Gary
Old 01-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Zuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
Congrats.
I have been further procrastinating about returning to mono, and nearly exchanged yesterday, to find the mono package I was after had been split up. This has effectively knocked me to my senses, and I will carry on using the ST2000XCM, it really is good.
Try some Ha from home, especially if it as light polluted as you suggest, you may be surprised.
Gary
Hi Gary,

Really frustrated last night. Set everything up in the back yard and just could not get it to focus. I spent 4 hours and just couldnt get anything but fuzz. Then I tried my Meade DSI and couldnt get that to focus either. Usually I use it on the meade ED80 as a guide cam and have never used it on the TV85.

In the cold light of day I tried an 11 mm nagler without a diagonal on my tv85 and guess what, I need at least an extra 50mm to get focus.

It just goes to show, whenever you get a new camera, try it out in the daytime and sort it all out before you rush out and waste an entire night fumbling around in the dark.

I am considering getting a Ha filter. I like Astronomic filters and can get either the 6mm one or the cheaper wider 11mm one. Which would you suggest and which do you use.

Paul
Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 AM
gbeal

Hi Paul,
ah perfect, someone else does what I did, fumbles around in the dark.
Try it during the day, I do across the paddocks or the likes, but even closer if that is all you can get.
I bought a Baader 7Nm Ha filter, in the 1,25" size, and it screws straight onto the front of the ST2000XCM, replacing the IR/UV.
Gary
Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Zuts

Hi Gary,

I finally managed to take one frame. In my backyard between a small gap in the trees of a non-descript portion of the sky. I didnt bother polar aligning, just plonked it down on the markers.

1 sub 240 seconds, 1 dark frame 240 seconds, self guided, horrible focus.

It's not much but until I get a field unit i cant go anywhere. Anyway it shows that everything works . Imaging CCD, self guiding works so I am happy. The only issue now is that it fogs up under 0 degrees C so I think I need to bake the dessicant.

There is a steep learning curve as it's completely different to imaging with a DSLR. Anyway the wait until I get the field unit will keep me occupied learning the camera.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SB1_filtered_web.jpg)
159.9 KB23 views
Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
gbeal

Paul,
Spend the time you have, at home, and close to help.
Use it to work out where the focus is on the particular scope you are using (TV85??), and work out how to focus with the software of your choice (what are you using?). I use FocusMax, but it is an automated process using a motorized focuser.
Clean the sensor, and or the cover window, as there appears to be a few dust spots on the sub you posted. Bake the desiccant as per the instructions in the manual, I had to, and everyone seems to have to at some stage, don't expect it to clear as soon as you reinsert the desiccant plug, it will take a few days.
Do a flat field and work out what sort of exposure you need for this.
Lastly, use any time you have to work out the self-guiding intricacies, especially how to "calibrate". In my case I calibrate the self-guiding at the start of each night, and normally in the area I am looking to image. I use Maxim, and also have TheSky running, so the mount/scope is controlled by TheSky. There is a school of thought that says if you calibrate at or on the meridian you can then self-guide anywhere else, and let the software (TheSky and Maxim in my case) figure out the relevant differences in the guiding requirements. I used to use this with the ST8, but of late all I have been doing is calibrate in the area of imaging, and it seems to work just fine.
If you can nail all the above, then try further afield, or better still crack some Ha from home.
If I can help any more sing out, either here or at g.beal@xnet.co.nz
Gary