Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM
hotspur (Chris)

What to advise father buying new D/SLR kit?

Hi.

My father told me he wants to get back into photography-He use to be a glamour photographer in the 70's and 80's and a state manager for a large photographic company in those time too.He wants to get back into photography after years of not doing it.But has been put off by computer. He has now decided to get a computer and a new DSLR kit.The old man is a skin flint,his gear always use to be basic-but must have had good skills as always got good results,and was always in the 'dark room' ( I still remember the smells)I am scratching my head as to how to advise him on new kit.So any thoughts would be good.

I have thought of a Canon 60d and a Canon 24-105 L.but he will most likely cough at the price.(but I do hope I can get him to L,may be I should let him to buy the cheap crap kit lenses (he's already going on about price),let him use them,then loan him my 70-200 L,he'd get the taste L taste then?)

Thanks Chris
Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 AM
madwayne (Wayne)

Chris

I think you need to think outside the square here for a moment. You have a 50D?, on sell that to your dad and then that leaves you needing a 7D or 5D mk 2 .

In all seriousness Canon's 18-200IS could be the answer to a good walkabout lens for your dad. I have one and love it, it seldom comes off my 50D and it is very lightweight to boot.

Wayne