Old 05-07-2010, 05:13 PM
bloodhound31

Graduated ND filters-Where from?

Looking for the one that goes in front of the lens that you use to bring the intensity of the sky down while retaining the light from the foreground.

Prime example - Sunsets.

Baz.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Have a chat to Troy. He's just got some.

Avoid Cokin's.

Try Lee and B+W. These, whilst dear, are great.

H

Last edited by Octane; 05-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Haha. Couldn't believe this thread title when I saw it, Baz. As H mentions, I've just gone through this exercise myself recently. And thanks heaps to him for helping me out with tips and advice.

There's cheaper filters and holders like Cokin. They're the one's H mentions, many threads around about them having a purple colour cast and not being truly "neutral". I have read about guys buying the Cokin filter holders, though, and using better filters in them. That may be an economical decision for you.

But for not much more than the Cokin holder, you can get Lee holder. I decided to get this because I am going with Lee filters. Not top of the line like Singh Ray, but solid reputation and balance of quality and economy. Another good brand (so I hear) is Hitech. I know there's more but they're the main ones I came across.

As a starting point, I got a 2 stop soft grad filter and a 3 stop hard. After using them for a bit I'll decide if I need a 2 stop hard and/or a 3 stop soft as well.

Typically you need a filter holder, then an adapter to connect the holder to your lens, then the filters themselves. And don't forget something to carry them in.

Not a cheap exercise.

I already have a CPL and screw in ND filters, so didn't need to get those, but you can add those to your shopping list too. ND filters I have are B+W brand 3 stop and 6 stop, CPL is Hoya Super Pro1. Don't skimp on them, it's money well spent.

Oh, where from? Not sure of Aussie-based places. I've been shopping at Adorama, B&H Photo Video, and 2filters. Having some trouble sourcing them. Seems some of the bits I want are out of stock and I'm trying to get them all one place to save shipping.

Last edited by troypiggo; 05-07-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:02 PM
bloodhound31

Thanks lads. Any links to what these different ones look like? Perhaps an image or three on this thread will help me and any others who stumble across it.

Baz.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:36 PM
luigi

For the holder get an el-cheapo from ebay, it's just a piece of plastic with a metal ring. Get the rings for the lenses you use.
For the filters you want really good ones, IMHO the best ones are Sigh Ray (Expensive) then Hitech & Lee have really very good quality. Cokin is not so good and the chinese filters are useless.

For sunsets and sunrises you probably want a reverse grad filter, one that is darker at the horizon. You can search for them at B&H Singh Ray has excellent reverse grads.

Having said that always consider taking 2 shots, it's the same as using the filter but you can do the transition in any way you want at home.

Hope to be helpful
Old 06-07-2010, 06:57 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

I'll give some links for the Lee stuff here.

Filter holder - I'm going the "foundation kit"
Adapter ring
Filters
Hard vs soft graduations
And as usual for me, link to a GND filter shots from POTN.

Good articles:
http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...duated-nd.html
http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...e-grad-nd.html

Wikipedia comes in handy too, sometimes.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Or just save yourself some money and do it with software by exposure blending. I've been doing this til now:
http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...-blending.html
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 AM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

+1 for software blending of 2 exposures

DT