Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM
TheDecepticon

Guiding and imaging problems

I have a guiding problem and an imaging problem.

The guiding gets a big hiccup in it every few minutes and produces a PHD graph as seen in the attachments. I haven't timed it, however it would be every few minutes.

Next, on long exposures, I get a bar across my images. I'm thinking EMF from somewhere, however, not a lot has changed to cause this. Someone else suggested a component on the circuit board is freaking out when the temperature drops right down. I run the camera at -20C. It is not overly easy to see, but starts to become prominent during processing. About a 3rd of the wat up from the bottom of the image.

Camera is a QHY9 and mount is an EQ6 Pro and both normally produce excellent results.

Cheers,

Gray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (OIII_Test_Banded_Image.jpg)
122.8 KB70 views
Attached Files
File Type: doc RA.doc (53.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

I've had a similar problem with my qhy10. It occurs when the data is downloaded for 20 odd seconds to my pc. I put the camera on a second pc to cure it. It may be possible to set the programs priority so the guider doesn't get blocked out during download but I'm not sure.
Cheers
Stephen
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
TheDecepticon

Thanks for your thoughts, Stephen.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Tandum (Robin)

Gray, I guess you have no usb ticked in the qhy9 driver, you can also try putting the imaging camera on it's own usb cable, not via a hub.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
alistairsam

Hi,
not sure if its the usb hub as there are quite a few people who use them with a guider, qhy10/9 and mount and have no issues.
Whilst it is true that overall throughput will drop depending on number of devices as each usb 2.0 port limit is 480Mbps, I don't think you're hitting the threshold. Is it a powered hub?
Has it worked normally with the same setup if so has anything changed?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:31 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

That looks like the RA drive is stopping completely during whatever cycle is happening. While I dont know electronics, that says to me that the mount doesn't know which way to go because of conflicting commands then overcorrects. ??

Whatever the reason I had very similar issues using all these combinations: guide camera (ToUcam/DMK), GPUSB, imaging camera (SX-H9 via laptop/DSLR with HH remote) on G11 (Gemini) and G8 (Digital Drive). The only way I found to get around the problem was to run the GPUSB to its own USB port on the laptop and not through any hub the guide camera was attached to. I'm aware of others having a similar problem. What are you using to guide with? QHY5? other?

If not that, then is it likely there is something stuck in the worm gear? What is the period of the jump? or can you post an image of the graph showing two consecutive jumps? Are the jumps a regular period or irregular? (long shot at the jump appears too symmetrical, but worth considering)

I also noticed your mxRA is 1000. Does it still overshoot like that if you drop it back down to say 100?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:04 AM
TheDecepticon

Thanks for the replies. The thing is that it has only just started to happen. I have been running off a powered hub for a long time with great guiding and image capture.

The only thing I have added is a SX USB 7 position filter wheel. This works very well and is a great bit of kit. I have tried two hubs and, different combinations of plugging them in and no joy.

I have gone back to my original setup that worked and will test the camera shortly. I have also stripped the mount and am going to do a lube and adjust and see where that gets me. I found not obvious faults during disassmbley.

Robin, I do not recall this setting. Where is it and what is its function?

Cheers!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

The "no USB during download" can be set on or off in the QHY driver. It should be set to on.

Mark