Old 16-05-2008, 09:20 AM
solissydney (Ken)

Filters For Dslr's

Hi.
Is it possible to mount 2" filters on the body of my Canon 300D, even allowing for some modification to do so? My question is rather, will for instance, a Nebula filter work in this manner?
Old 16-05-2008, 10:27 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

you are going to need a step up ring, from what 2" to whatever filter size your camera takes, then something to hold the filter - i have heard of it being done but not seen it myself
Old 16-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

See here and here and here for step rings.
Geoff
Old 16-05-2008, 11:28 AM
solissydney (Ken)

Great, thanks for the info
Old 16-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Ian Robinson

I am looking at either some standard 2" (48mm) filters (which I can attach in front of my coma corrector) or drop-in front filters like http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/filters/ffilter.htm
Old 16-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Suzy_A

I've used some 48 mm filters over a camera lens - I've done some photography with a Baader 7 nm Ha filter over a 50 mm lens.

Depending on the lens filter thread, you may be able to attach the filter using a step-down ring. However you need to be careful of vignetting, or at least accept that it may happen and crop the image.

If you are careful, you can also just stick the filter straight over the lens without the step-down ring and keep it on with some tape or something. This allows you to get the filter much closer to the lens and minimise the vignetting. With a 48 mm filter and step-down, I get a lot of vignetting on a canon 50 mm f1.4 and 28 f1.8. However carefully taping the filter on - making sure there is no actual contact between the filter and the glass of the lens, then there is no vignetting. Another way of doing it is to put the filter on the inside of the step ring, not outside, and so bring it closer to the lens.
Old 16-05-2008, 12:50 PM
solissydney (Ken)

Inserting filters in front of the body of my 300D is no problem. I am mainly interested in imaging deep sky objects such as galaxies and nebula and am interested in two general filters such as Baader 2" Moon and Sky Glow filter, and also O-III Nebula Filter. A good start?
Old 16-05-2008, 06:15 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post
I am looking at either some standard 2" (48mm) filters (which I can attach in front of my coma corrector) or drop-in front filters like http://www.sciencecenter.net/hutech/filters/ffilter.htm

Hi Ian,

You might want to check Bintel or these guys websites. They both are selling the same type of filters but made by Astromomik. Their body filters are almost 1.5 cheaper than those sold by Hutech.

Here is a page on Astronomik website wth all technical details
http://www.astronomik.com/english/en...ip_system.html

cheers,

Michael
Old 16-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Ian Robinson

I had come across Astronomik filters before in my searches but had lost the link and not bookmarked it.

I am not sure if they have these to suit the 40D body. (Hutech don't seem to have (yet).) An email to both Hutech and Astronomik has been sent .

They look very interesting as an option to 2" (48mm) screw in filters or monster front filters (77mm) to on the front of telephoto.
Old 16-05-2008, 09:41 PM
ozstockman (Mike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robinson View Post

I am not sure if they have these to suit the 40D body. (Hutech don't seem to have (yet).) An email to both Hutech and Astronomik has been sent .
Astronomik certainly has these filters for 40D. At the top of their page they are saying

Do you have a Canon EOS digital camera (300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 20D, 20Da, 30D, 40D (please specify 40D at your order!) and also use it for astro-imaging? Then you have surely encountered the following problems:

Quote:
They look very interesting as an option to 2" (48mm) screw in filters or monster front filters (77mm) to on the front of telephoto.
I am looking at their filters too. It seems that their IR/UV block filter is only $90.. at least that the price from www.astrovid.com shop. It's quite reasonable for me.

If I finally choose 40D over QHY8 I will replace a built in stock filter with a clear glass and with this Astronomik filter I'll get a camera suitable both for infrared and astrophotography at the same time.

cheers,

Michael
Old 17-05-2008, 06:52 AM
solissydney (Ken)

Prime photography and filters

Hi. Has anyone actually had filters attached to the front of an DSLR camera body, (forget about lenses) either Light Pollution filter, or any filter for deep sky photography, and found them usefull ???
Old 20-05-2008, 04:55 AM
mostschaedel (Gerald)
mostschaedel

Hi, yes i am using an 2" IDAS LPS filter for my Canon 10D DSLR.
It is the best for supressing light pollution.
The filter is mounted on a 2 inch barrel on the front side.
On the back of the 2 inch barrel is a thread which fits into to T2-adapter for your Canon DSLR.

Looks like that:
http://www.telescope-service.com/acc...l#fokaladapter

O-III, Baader Sky Glow and IR filter do not help for galaxies and nebulae!
Old 20-05-2008, 06:51 AM
solissydney (Ken)

Filters for 300d

Thanks Gerald for your info.Yesterday I purchased two filters by Baader, the 2" Contract-Booster and the IR Blocking Filter. The last on the list for me to purchase is Orion Skyglow Broadband.
The image show the way I do things. The 'thing' on the left goes in the focuser, inside that one filter will fit. On the right is the T-ring, which fits in the ' thing' on the left, should I need to double up two filters, inside will be space for the second filter. With a few dollars spent on a bit of machining it will be Honkey Dory. What made me buy the filters was the excellent article on the web:
www.ayton.id.au/gary/science/astronomy/ast_light_pollution.htm
The information on page 6 goes right to the point about filters without any waffle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Filters.JPG)
120.3 KB19 views

Last edited by solissydney; 20-05-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 20-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Analog6 (Odille)

I bought a sheet of solar filter film (details at home, submit later, but it's a big A4+ piece) and am looking for a way to set it on the front of the lens. Would strtching it across a Cokin filter mount do it, or should I just tape a piece on? Any suggestions very welcome.
Old 20-05-2008, 02:03 PM
Ian Robinson

Use a rubber band ?
Old 20-05-2008, 06:46 PM
monoxide

personally i wouldn't trust a rubber band to protect my eyes/camera, most people just make a cell out of cardboard that fits firmly over the front of the objective/ota/lens. also you don't want to stretch it, a little bit of slack in the solar film is better.

see here:
http://www.baader-planetarium.com/so...nleitung_e.htm