Old 02-04-2020, 03:11 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

First mosaic!

OK, I realise the solar images I was producing with the ED80/ASI 1600 and the x2.5 Powermate resulted in a full disk image slightly larger than the chip size....bumma.
The answer (other than finding a different Barlow...) was to take two images and join them as a mosaic covering the whole solar disk...sounds simple.
Took the necessary two images, but noticed straight away that there were significant problems with gradients within the images which did not match..

First MS ICE; used by many to produce very good panoramic images - didn't work for me - couldn't get the two images to align...

Over to CS5 - spent far too much time messing around with layers and gradients..... and ended up finding Photomerge....two minutes later (well actually more like 10 minutes, they were BIG tif files) - job done!
(I had started with Scott Ireland's "bible" - Photoshop Astronomy, only to find it very out of date and only talks about CS and CS2...it was published in 2005)

The attached H alpha image was taken on the 27 March 2020, SM60 DS/ ED80/ ASI 1600.
If you can identify the joint, I'll send you a packet of toilet paper, or buy you a beer, whatever you prefer.

Another tool in the box - hopefully to provide better full disk images in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (mosaic.jpg)
197.8 KB69 views
Old 02-04-2020, 05:02 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Ok , I'll take the bait, even though the beer would be warm and flat by the time it got up here. Me thinks that the seam runs diagonally through the centre from the 2:00 to the 8:00 positions.
If I'm wrong ( usually am ) then do I have to buy you a beer ? Don't need loo paper.

Wherever the merge is , it has come out well, pity there wasn't more happening on Sol that day.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Jeff,
Good guess......but not correct!
I don’t drink beer so you’re OK.
I think the Photomerge in PS seems to work well...
Wait until we see the next one......
Old 02-04-2020, 10:33 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Waiting with bated breath then.

I'm waiting for the rain to clear, weekend is supposed to be fine at least and all next week looks reasonable, hope the AR is still around.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:32 PM
Ant0nio (Tony)
Quid Clarius Astris

Splendid job Ken
Old 06-04-2020, 01:51 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Thanks mate, appreciated!
Old 06-04-2020, 02:23 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Hi Ken, that's very pleasing to look at, with some nice detail despite the low activity! Dynamic range between disk and proms is well-captured also. I guess the DS makes that part a little easier.

Re the joint - To me the bottom left seems to show a little less detail per area than the rest, so my guess would be that the joint runs somewhere from the 7 to (not quite) nine o'clock position. But really, who cares?!

Must try one myself...
Old 06-04-2020, 02:46 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Mirko,
Thanks.
The line of the join is horizontal across the image approx one o’clock to 11 o’clock.....BUT with the program you don’t know how much of the overlap is used for blending.
I typically use the double stack for the surface detail, sometimes lucky with a prom capture- it really depends on the tuning...
Single stack definitely gives better results on the proms.