Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2020, 08:27 AM
Kev11 (Kevin)

Paypal Legals

Like most people I suppose, I had never read Paypal's T&Cs. However changes notices seem to be coming thick and fast so I thought I would read the latest (or rather glance through the 47 pages full of links to other multi-page web documents - must be hundreds of pages altogether).

I am a retired accountant so have some knowledge of contract law, but for the average Paypal user this stuff is a nightmare.

Why is it necessary? The equivalent material from my bank is much more straightforward and my transactions with it are bigger and more complicated.

And fees. I had one (bad) experience a few years ago of selling a domestic item for a few hundred dollars and was slugged 10% of the value. As far as I can see that would seem to be much more than Paypal’s current schedule.

On the other hand, as an on-line purchaser I am happy enough with them and have used the “failed to receive” refund once.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2020, 08:58 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

In my experience, not limited to paypal, the odds are always stacked against the supplier, not the buyer, right or wrong.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:27 AM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I will use paypal ONLY to buy items from ebay or companies that offer it. Selling for me is STRICTLY bank transfer or cash in hand because as mentioned paypal is always stacked against the seller.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:17 AM
leon

I'm lucky, I am told constantly to update my details for my PayPal Account, but i don't have one, so go figure that.

Leon
Old 08-02-2020, 11:16 AM
DeWynter (ILYA)

I'm selling photographic prints and license photographic images worldwide. Without PayPal I wouldn't have my business. PayPal fee is evil, but like some insurance I'm ok to pay it.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:37 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

I sell and buy and have a 2000+ A1 perfect Ebay rating, I am not a business, but you have to be 100% perfect when selling or you are not covered. I have in fact as a seller on Ebay had three negative reviews removed, you can ask for them to be when buyers are ***t, and as a buyer I have had to rely on PayPal three timers for help in getting money back

They have never ever let me down.

As my father said as an insurance inspector not a salesman "Insurance is a con................ until you NEED IT", how would I sell without PayPal, just the same as the above poster.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:31 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

I use PP for ebay payments and sometimes for other purposes, but use it as an online 'cash' wallet, i.e. no credit card or bank account coupled to it. I just have a balance which I can top up with a bank transfer. When my balance is too low for a purchase, I just top up.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:15 AM
ab1963 (Andrew)
Refractors-That’s It

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
In my experience, not limited to paypal, the odds are always stacked against the supplier, not the buyer, right or wrong.

Absolutely true my wife had an incident not long ago 100% feedback and been a member close to 20yrs.
Sold an item just before Christmas nothing wrong with it came up with some lame brained excuse why there was something wrong so just to test the water the battery he said was faulty i told her to offer a full replacement and installation cost and his comeback was i have already bought another and even with all this evidence he got the return, Why do you think that people outside of ebay don't want a bar of it and something else i was lead to believe and don't quote me on this as i stand to be corrected you have 6 months to do it in........