Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Software and Computers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

Taking flats within a sequence in Sequence Generator Pro

Hi folks,

I posted this on the SPG forum but thought I’d repost here as well. Keen for a solution :-)

I’m struggling to work out how best to take flat frames within a sequence of lights.

My filter wheel hasn’t been consistent in returning my filters to exactly the same place with respect to my camera sensor, which has meant that dust and other blemishes have occasionally been incorrectly corrected if I use flats taken at the very end of a multi filter sequence (given I have to rotate back through the filters). The best solution would be to take the flats after completing each set of lights exposures for that filter before moving on to the next filter. I’m finding this difficult and overly cumbersome. I used to be able to pause the sequence, place a lightbox on the scope (without moving or parking the scope) and take the flats, then pause the sequence again, remove the lightbox, and continue. When I do this now the sequence goes into recovery mode and makes taking flats very difficult, and if instead of pausing the sequence I park the scope (no recovery mode ensues) I then can’t continue a sequence after that point (SGP gives me a warning that light frames are scheduled after a park command and won’t initiate the sequence). There must be an easy way to take flats within a sequence surely? A certain combination of settings perhaps that I’m missing? Ideally I’d love it if SGP could recognize that I’m taking a flat frame, pause the sequence (to add a flat box), pause guiding and avoid a recovery operation, take the flats, then recognize the next light sequence, pause the sequence (to remove the flat box), resume guiding on the same guide star (to avoid a new plate solve) and begin the best light event with the next filter. Can I somehow automate this?

Any help appreciated. I’ve tried a number of things without luck. Perhaps it makes a difference where a pause in the sequence is added - at the end of the previous light frame certainly doesn’t work, but perhaps pausing the sequence at the start of the flat frame does? Some of these things I’m yet to test
but with quite a few combinations possible I’m hoping someone has a great solution already.

Any help is greatly appreciated :-)

Ben

P.S. I use a portable setup that gets packed up and down for each session so I need to take flats for every imaging session