Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 13-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Star Hunter

Lacerata Mgen AG's: What do you think of them?

Anyone using the Lacerta Mgen AutoGuiders? Are they as good as they're made out to be?

I need a self guiding, self calibrating, AG that doesn't hook up to a laptop or PC as I have at times, all four mounts working at once.

James

Last edited by Star Hunter; 14-06-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 17-11-2020, 11:09 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Interesting that nobody responded to this post. I wonder if that’s because very few in Australia actually own one?

I am about to pull the trigger on ordering the MGen v.3 so any input from anyone who has used any version is most welcome.

Chris
Old 18-11-2020, 12:08 AM
Paul1 (Paul)

Hello,
I can only recommend it very easy to work with and very accurate.
Regards Paul
Old 23-11-2020, 08:35 AM
casstony

I had the MGEN 2 and it was very easy to use and effective. Now I have the MGEN 3 and it's even easier to use and guiding is on multiple stars rather than just one - you literally turn it on, press one button and within a couple of minutes it's autoguiding.

The MGEN controls my Nikon DSLR's and dithers - couldn't be simpler, but could be cheaper .
Old 23-11-2020, 12:26 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by casstony View Post
I had the MGEN 2 and it was very easy to use and effective. Now I have the MGEN 3 and it's even easier to use and guiding is on multiple stars rather than just one - you literally turn it on, press one button and within a couple of minutes it's autoguiding.

The MGEN controls my Nikon DSLR's and dithers - couldn't be simpler, but could be cheaper .

I was all set to buy MGEN 3 until the ASIAIR came up o this forum and it would seem to me now to be better value as it does not only guiding but a whole lot more besides. I have no idea whether the guiding done by ASIAIR is reliable or as reliable as the Lacerta MGEN (anyone know?), but a used ASIAIR plus guide camera (294) is still cheaper than a new MGEN 3 from Europe so seems to make sense.

My only issue is the ASIAIR doesn't yet support the EOS Ra - they keep promising it will and presumably one day a firmware update will provide support. Until then I can't use it to control my main imaging camera, but it will at least do the guiding, which is what the mgen would have done.

The ASIAIR may come in more useful down the line I guess.

Chris