Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 AM
glend (Glen)

DSLR setup on a RC08 - Which Reducer?

I am about to start imaging through my new RC08 with my full spectrum, cold finger cooled Canon 450D, just wanted to get some feedback from anyone else imaging with a DSLR on the RC08? Just wanted some advice on which reducer to use to get.

Is anyone using the Astro Physics CCD tele compressor CCDT6, which seems to take it up to f5.3 which I know is a good f for my DSLR based on use on my f 5.3 Mak-Newt? The Astro Physics has the right backspacing for the Canon but is expensive (to me). Would the GSO Reducer work, as it's available locally at much less but would likely need spacers. Anyone using the GSO reducer?

Last edited by glend; 02-08-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Glen, surely you'd buy an RC8 because of its focal length and not because you'd want to reduce it to a focal length barely any longer than your MN
Old 02-08-2015, 10:22 AM
glend (Glen)

Yes Dunk your right, I did/do want the focal length but have become concerned about imaging at f8 native, especially on the tripod at Bretti (even if guided). I think it will be fine on the pier in the observatory (guided). Hence, I wanted to try it out with a reducer first.

I'd welcome any advice on DSLR imaging with the RC08, especially from a field location.

Last edited by glend; 02-08-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:41 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Glen, I've found the trick seems to be very good polar alignment. If I take my time with the drift alignment I'm able to guide the C8 sufficiently well. I even had the C11 guiding well at SPSP, but I never bought that scope with the intent of imaging with it! This is all on my EQ6 and its included tripod btw.

You might want to think about putting some lunar lander feet on to the end of the tripod legs though as I've found the standard tripod can sink in to the ground over the course of a couple of days on less than hard ground. The difference is small, but noticeable at the longer focal lengths.

Another area to focus on is balance. Any imbalance is all the more noticeable at 2m or so.

Other than that, you guide long subs already, it's all well trodden ground for you...I'd say you're good to go
Old 02-08-2015, 11:01 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks for the encouragement Dunk. I do have some ply foot pads for the mount already. The advantage of the RC is that it is lighter than my other imaging scopes, well I think that's an advantage.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Maybe, but it should be well within the capabilities of your mount. The stock tripod was just fine with my C11 on board. I have yet to have clear skies to retry the experiment however
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 AM
DJT (David)

Try imaging native first then decide if you want to use a reducer. Saves a bit of expense if you decide you dont need it. I had the AP reducer but never used it as I was happy with what I was getting with the DSLR and didn't want to drop focal length
Old 03-08-2015, 06:48 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks David, I am convinced and will try native to see how I go. Cheers