Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions

Old 10-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Canon EOS 5D Mark II's used to create HDR video -- world first

As much as I personally loathe HDR, I can see this making its way onto film for very, very neat cinematic visual effects.

http://vimeo.com/14821961

Reminds me of some of the gritty scenes in movies like 300, or, the pixel shader-like effects used in A Scanner Darkly.

H
Old 14-09-2010, 08:09 PM
shelltree (Shelley)
Stargazer

Wow, that's certainly different! I can see how it could have its benefits, if done well.

Edit: unrelated to HDR but I LOVE this video taken with the 5Dmkii http://lightscript.wordpress.com/200...alid-mohtaseb/
Old 14-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
As much as I personally loathe HDRH
Thats interesting, whys that?.
Old 14-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

I like it! The quality looks somewhat surreal. Very nice!
Old 14-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Fred,

Because it's the single greatest way of destroying data that you've captured by spending thousands of dollars on hardware.

I am able to create high-dynamic range images without the need to resort to bs software which reverse engineers the Canon specification to approximate what it thinks the sensor captured. No, thanks. I've spent far too much money on hardware and good glass to let software ruin the hard work I put into capturing my images.

H
Old 15-09-2010, 03:19 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Looks quite clever. Must take a massive amount of processing?

Have you ever noticed that movies and TV cameras always seem to capture a much higher dynamic range than our dSLRs? Next time you're watching TV or a movie, think about what's in the scene and how the lighting is. I'm not talking about studio shots where the lighting is all controlled, more like outdoor scenes in full sunlight.

I've often wondered whether it's the cameras they use do have a greater dynamic range. Some shots they may use filters for the sky for example, others I know they'll use screens/reflectors to soften harsh sunlight on actors or whatever. But take a midday sun shot of a city, sky and highlights are not blown, yet shadows between buildings can still make out detail.
Old 15-09-2010, 05:28 AM
bojan
amateur

Amazing technology, but results are pure kitsch.
Old 15-09-2010, 07:34 AM
avandonk
avandonk

Why HDR looks 'wrong' is because a very wide dynamic 20 bits+ range is tone mapped down to 8 bit so our pathetic displays can cope. Even straight 14 bit dynamic range as produced by the 5D MII cannot be displayed realistically on an 8 bit LCD display. A 16 bit astro camera is even more let down.

There are now wide gamut monitors available with 10 bits per colour channel.
here
http://www.ht.com.au/part/Y1524-HP-Z...-30/detail.hts

To take full advantage of this monitor you will need a high end graphics card such as the Quadro capable of more than 8 bit colour generally used in publishing and movie industry. If you use an ordinary graphics card the colours will look washed out.

or one with a 12 bit look up table here

http://www.justmonitors.com.au/neclcd3090wqxi.htm

This will show a wide gamut with a high end 'normal' graphics card.
I am sorely tempted to get this monitor when I arrange to sell one of my organs.

It is not HDR that is the problem it is our displays that have a pathetic dynamic range compared with reality viewed by the human eye.

It just looks 'wrong' when a very dim nebula and a very bright star are in the same region on an 8 bit display tone mapped from high dynamic range down to 8 bits. The situation can be even worse as the cheaper displays are only really 6 bit.

As for prints you are in even more trouble as the dynamic range is even lower.

I have yet to try it but a high quality transparency very evenly backlit would be better than a print.

Here is a stunning video done with Canon.

http://vimeo.com/14074949

It works because the lighting is under a dull sky so the dynamic range is not to high.

Bert

Last edited by avandonk; 15-09-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 15-09-2010, 07:38 PM
leon

H, all I can say is NICE.

Leon