Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 11-10-2020, 05:29 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Helix is testing my camera and cheap filter

Hi All,

Have been for a while trying to image Helix Planetary Nebula and without the CLS filter from SVBony, the maximum subs I could try was 90sec.

Now with the filter depending on the moon, yesterday I managed to get 300sec subs although my guide camera is in need of replacement.

A lot of subs had to be removed as the webcam just can't handle the guide quality. Anyway, there are 2 images the first is from guided ~ 50 x 300sec, while the second is from 104 x combination 240sec (from earlier) and 300sec. The thermal noise level of the camera (450D) is starting to suffer and therefore have to clip the background to compensate.

Overall for such an old camera, it is performing well under the circumstances.

The filter is definitely impeding the yellow, and very difficult to get the yellow stars to pop. I hope to try to change camera settings later to compensate hopefully.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Helix_DSS_SiriL_ST_mix.jpg)
109.6 KB44 views
Click for full-size image (NGC7293_Helix_DSS_MIX_SiriL_ST_mix.jpg)
153.2 KB38 views
Old 11-10-2020, 09:51 PM
PKay (Peter)

Great effort Malcolm.

There is a lot to be revealed in the Helix.

The OSC always capture the classic red / blue and it is always an eye catcher.

Worthwhile re visiting from time to time.

Well done!
Old 12-10-2020, 05:09 PM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Assume these are with the TS Apo triplet in your signature? I'd say overall impressive for that aperture and the 450d (I'm still amazed at how well this camera does for astro well over a decade from release. And while the syvbony is "cheap" relatively it produces results closer than I can tell apart from more expensive broadband LPS filters I've tried. I used it quite a bit on the 450 and 600d and impressed me enough to buyt the UHC clip in from them as well, but have never tried it since going to dedicated astro cameras.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:06 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Thanks all,

Robert, the old beast (450D) is still surprising me, the APO I purchase in 2011 so that should keep going for longer, the filter has given me good objects to try as I was previously limited to 60sec on a full moon and 90secs from the light pollution in new moon. The camera is unmodified and I was hoping for this target to still be good for me. Only my Guide camera is letting me down for some deep sky objects.

Peter, I really like the blues as well. I am sure with a few more exposures maybe 6 minutes I may get something better, in the mean time starting from today I will be concentraing on some electronics modifications to my set up.

Still hope to catch a few photons in the meantime.